PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NW London

IanSF
11-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I enjoy making jewellery, but don't spend nearly enough time at it to call it a hobby. Whenever a birthday or celebration comes around I'll make a necklace and ear-ring set or something similar, always gladly received along with comments like, 'You should make more of these and sell them!'
My favourite materials are Haematite and Silver but lately I've been trying out chain mail weaves and become quite drawn in by the sheer versatility and variety of this medium. I'd prefer to use gold and silver but getting large quantities of precious metal jump rings is rather expensive!

mizgeorge
11-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi Ian and welcome to the forum!

I make a lot of maille pieces, but cut all my own rings either by saw or using a koil kutter. You don't need an expensive setup, a jeweller's saw and a bunch of charity shop knitting needles will get you started nicely :)

julie
11-08-2009, 05:57 PM
hello and welcome to the forum :~:

Solunar Silver Studio
11-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi Ian, :welcome:. I'm glad someone was brave enough to say hello to us all!! As for not really making jewellery - I think we all started the same way - with someone saying 'you should sell these!!'...that's the beginning of the slippery slope!! :eek:

I love the look of chain maille too but I make chain from fine silver wire which is a rather weak wire and means the rings have to be fused closed - and although I have tried it is just too hard to do the really intricate maille patterns like that. I have seen some designs made with enamelled copper wire which look pretty good...and you can always work up to precious metals!

Di Sandland
11-08-2009, 06:39 PM
:~: Hi Ian

I've seen some beautiful chain maille done using non-precious rings and, like George says, you could always make your own. It truly isn't difficult.

Anyway, welcome. Come on in and be friends, I'm sure the very outnumbered guys on the forum would welcome you with open arms ;)

EmmaRose
11-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi there Ian :~:
I'm sure you will soon be addicted like the rest of us! Where abouts in NW London? I was brought up in NW London and my Mum is still there..
Em

kymbi
11-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Hello Ian :~:

IanSF
11-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi there Ian :~:
I'm sure you will soon be addicted like the rest of us! Where abouts in NW London? I was brought up in NW London and my Mum is still there..
Em

Stonebridge, within sight of the new Wembley arch.

bustagasket
11-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo (see i was polite!):P

Lindyloo
11-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Welcome Ian. :~:

So Barbara, does that mean that if someone said I should sell my stuff that I actually should give it a go? I feel too hopeless to even know where to start. :confused:

AlexandraBuckle
11-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum Ian :~:

Rock Hard Fairy
12-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi! I'm new here too - welcome! I lived in Stonebridge Park and went to Sladebrook High School back in the mid 70's - know the area well!

EmmaRose
12-08-2009, 11:39 AM
I was in Queens Park- just down the tube line :-)
Em

Rock Hard Fairy
12-08-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm in Kensal Green now so not far from there either!

EmmaRose
13-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Practically next door :D
LOL maybe we need a NW London Cooksons meet up hey hey :Y:

Solunar Silver Studio
13-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Welcome Ian.

So Barbara, does that mean that if someone said I should sell my stuff that I actually should give it a go? I feel too hopeless to even know where to start. :confused:

If you ever see this Lindyloo...my answer is YES!!...If people say you should sell your work because they think it is good enough for people to want to buy it...who are you to tell them they are wrong??!!:D ...I probably wouldn't launch straight into the business plan and a nice little shop on the High Street but I would certainly poke my big toe into the water!!

If you feel uncomfortable initially - ask the person/people who have commented favourably on your jewelelry who they think would be interested in buying it and see if they would be willing to show some examples of your work to their friends...if nothing else you would get some feedback about how people are receiving your jewellery and if it works anything like it did for me you will end up with a couple of things sold and orders for more!!:Y: And by doing it through someone else you don't even have to face your customers initially!! Crafty, eh??!! (You DO have to face them eventually though!!!:-D)

Green Monster
13-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Welcome Ian
I am very new myself (to the forum) but they seem a very friendly and helpful bunch.

As per George, cheap charity shop knitting needles of various thickness are a godsend.:)