PDA

View Full Version : Fingerprints - any tips?

boosta
08-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Hi, i am having problems with my fingerprint jewellery. I went on a course and learnt how to do it, and was advised to take the print into sylicone mould and then take a mould from the mould, so that i am not having to work with the clay in front of customers etc. This makes sense to me, but the prints i am taking in the sylicone dont seem to be working so well when pressed into the clay. Does anyone have any tips that might help? I am not sure if the problem is with the initial sylicone print or how i am using the clay.

Thanks.

London Jewellery School
11-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Hi Boosta,

It may be that the molding compound you are using isn't detailed enough. Generally speaking it should set within 2-5 mins from mixing - if it is any longer that this then it probably isn't detailed enough for fingerprint jewellery.

If it is a quick setting one then it may just be the way you are getting the prints. It can be very tricky with little ones but is usually easiest when they are asleep :) Try and make sure the finger goes in the compound straight and that it doesn't move or wriggle around.

Also if the children you are doing fingerprints for are under 9 months they may not have developed lines in their fingers yet.

Hope that helps

Good luck and Happy Making

Jessica x

boosta
12-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks Jessica.

I have since noticed that part of the problem seems to be that the badger balm i am using in my silicone moulds when taking a mould from a mould (hope that makes sense), is disolving the silicone slightly and the fingerprint is losing its definition.

I was told to use badger balm on the course i attended but am now wondering if i should use something else?

Boo
X

London Jewellery School
16-01-2011, 09:56 AM
You can use badger balm but it needs to be a tiny, tiny amount so that it acts as a barrier from the moulds from sticking together but not so much that it fills the fingerprint crevasses/ lines as this is when you loose definition. You can also use olive oil but again it has to be a miniscule amount. I usually get a drop on my finger and rub it off so you just have the remains.

Hope that helps

Jessica

sparkleprints
28-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Which silicone mould are you using?

Dennis
29-01-2011, 12:34 PM
One alternative is to make them directly into metal clay. If you put Prints, or Finger-Prints into the search box you will find four or five threads about this subject. Dennis.