PDA

View Full Version : Reticulated ring

niceguyjoe
06-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Hi guys,

This is my second post. I've been making jewellery for 6months, so forgive me if this is a silly question! I tried reticulating some sterling silver last month to make a pendent.It came out surprisingly well, im really cuffed with it.

I've decided to make a reticulated ring now. I'm planning on using 1.20mm sheet about 8mm wide. My question is do i reticulated it as a flat sheet then bend it?
Or form the ring THEN reticulated it, then solder it? Im worried if i form it secondly i'll scratch the texture with my pliers!

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks a lot
Joe.

Dennis
06-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Dear Joe c,

If you try to reticulate it once made up into a ring it will probably collapse in a heap. For rings with any textured surface the secret is to make the strip first. Then form it using ring pliers with the outer beak covered in a piece of well-fitting polythene tubing. If you have access to an upright ring stretcher, make it a tad too small and then stretch to size, which will also round it without hammering. If you must hammer use one with a soft plastic insert.

If you have not read it, also look at this:

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/tutorials-bench-tips-step-steps/3033-not-easy-pi.html Kind regards, Dennis.

ps_bond
07-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I'd go the hammering with a nylon hammer route myself (personal preference only - in no way suggesting it is better or worse than Dennis' other suggestions) - and yes, definitely reticulate before forming.

Moon Willow
07-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Hi Joe

I totally agree with Dennis and Peter but in the back of my mind I asked myself "How thick does a ring need to be to reticulate it" I 've just come out of my workshop having found a 1.5mm x 8mm ring in my silver box and I torched it, mmmmmmmmm You should always to my mind form after reticulation, but the result was rather interesting.

I'm not clever enough to put the picture here so you'll just have to go to my profile.

niceguyjoe
07-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks Dennis and Peter!
I've reticulated the material 8 times now. Its looking good, although slightly thin in one place (I think you're right Moon Willow, I'll be using thicker silver next time!)I'm going to bend it now. I'll try the polythene tubing idea first. Dennis. Although those ring pliers look cool, if a little expensive. I'm going to Hatten Garden tomorrow so might treat myself!

I'll try and up load a picture when its done!

Thanks again for your help. I'm learning this from a book so its great to have people to ask when you get stuck! I've made about 40 pieces in the last 5 months so im not doing to bad. I'd love to make it my full time job one day, it would be better that welding steel girders and making staircases all day!! ;-)

Joe

caroleallen
07-01-2011, 07:58 PM
I have reticulated after soldering before and the rings were really nice and organic but a bit hit and miss.

Dennis
07-01-2011, 08:02 PM
That's quite a substantial ring, Carlton. But then you are a pro and most beginners would shirk forming metal that thick. By rhe way, to post pix here take the 'Go Advanced' option and click on the paper clip.
Good to have your authority behind us, Dennis.

Moon Willow
07-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Wow it's great here, I'm going to learn lots from my fellow jewellers the only problem you're going to have is shutting me up, I've followed instructions and here's the reticulated ring. (hopefully)