PDA

View Full Version : More PMC "Thoth" Collar

MuranoSilver
11-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Next in the series of 12 pieces, here's "Thoth" as a Collar.
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thoth-collar.jpg
I made another Dichroic cabochon and set it into the central piece, then made two smaller side pieces.
I finished it by re-purposing some chain componenents (I think their gold accents and texture work Ok....)

Nic x

julie
11-08-2009, 04:19 PM
WOW thats fantastic ....:dance:

Solunar Silver Studio
11-08-2009, 04:23 PM
You do know you're brilliant don't you.... One day...one day... Oh well - at least I have a standard to aim for!!

Just wondering if you have embedded fine silver jumprings in the corners...they look a bit too fine for pmc...or are you even more brilliant than I thought??!!

When are you going to tell us all about the week end?? I'm sure we are all agog!!

Di Sandland
11-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Oh my, this is just gorgeous.

MuranoSilver
11-08-2009, 04:33 PM
You do know you're brilliant don't you.... One day...one day... Oh well - at least I have a standard to aim for!!

Just wondering if you have embedded fine silver jump rings in the corners...they look a bit too fine for pmc...or are you even more brilliant than I thought??!!

When are you going to tell us all about the week end?? I'm sure we are all agog!!

Errmm nope like everyone else, when looking at my own work, I just see the - oopsies! :">
but thank you, I now feel like I'm brilliant :D

When I fired the pieces I hadn't decided how to attach them ~ so what I actually did was look at the little fine silver
"push in" key shaped pins on my bench and have a :confused: moment.
Then I cut the little pins off and soldered them on!

Oooh the weekend was AWESOME - I'm revving myself up for a huuuuge long post

Nic x

The Bijou Dragon
11-08-2009, 04:42 PM
*Stares at PC screen opened mouth*

*faints*

That is wonderful!!!!!

AlexandraBuckle
11-08-2009, 05:14 PM
It's lovely, did you oxidise these bits? I like the two tone effect.

bustagasket
11-08-2009, 05:22 PM
beautiful as always Nic :D

MuranoSilver
11-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Bijou - you feelin alright yet? want me to fan you with a t-towel, lol :D

It's lovely, did you oxidise these bits? I like the two tone effect.
Yep - oxidised and then polished back :Y:

bustagasket - awwww thanks!!
Nic x

SilverByRosie
11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
*jaw drop* that's amazing!

caroleallen
11-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Just lovely!

mizgeorge
11-08-2009, 09:00 PM
That's lovely Nic - great composition (and execution as well of course ;))

Lindyloo
11-08-2009, 09:22 PM
That is truly gorgeous Nic. I love the cabochon. What on earth does re-purposing mean when it's at home? :confused:

MuranoSilver
11-08-2009, 09:26 PM
It's awesome that you folks like it - I even printed out a new background for the photo (mine was all water smudged)

Lindyloo - Repurposed in my case, means I find things in my "broken stuff" box and fiddle with it until it looks better ;)
Nic x

MuranoSilver
12-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks Jason!
With these I'm just making them to explore the design...this is 2/12 so it will be for sale.
Need to get it hallmarked first though as it's mahooosive... :D
Nic x

Solunar Silver Studio
12-08-2009, 09:48 AM
How mahooosive is mahooosive exactly... As someone who breaks sweat when I use more than 5 grams of clay at a time....I need to know what I have to psyke myself up for using when I want to play with the 'big boys'. :eek:

And... I don't want to appear rude...but would you be willing to show us your back side??!!! I would just like to know how perfect you get that to look....(feel free to tell me to bogoff!!:">)...but it is something that is never...ever shown in books...and since I have never seen, let alone handled any other maker's pmc pieces I am working in the dark here!!:'(

MuranoSilver
12-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Well the whole thing weighs 75.8g and there's about 50g of clay in the three main sections.
Just took a picture of the rear for you (I had fun in my head with you wanting a picture of my rear though! ROFL)
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thoth-collar-rear.jpg
If I'd had more time I would've decorated the two side pieces as well

Nic x

EmmaRose
12-08-2009, 12:27 PM
:Y:lovely Nic
looking forward to hearing about weekend!!! did you bring us back a goodie bag????
Em

bustagasket
12-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I dont know how many times a day i wish i lived near you so that i could come to your classes and get taught how to use this stuff :(

EmmaRose
12-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Nic, if you don't mind my asking, how much would you sell something like that for?
Em

MuranoSilver
12-08-2009, 01:19 PM
With the amount of materials and time it would need to be £295 - £350 retail...
This would be in line with this type of piece in marketplaces such as Etsy (i.e aprox $489 dollars)
Whether is sells or not is another matter - so many folks would pay that for Tiffany blah blah
but not for Artisan unique pieces....

Thank goodness there's a select few who appreciate one offs!!
Nic x

AlexandraBuckle
12-08-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm glad you would put a big price tag on it and its lovely to see big impressive pieces of work.

I love making big expensive pieces, but I hate having to account for the fact that I may never sell my them :N:
I refuse to put a small price tag on them!

Solunar Silver Studio
12-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Well the whole thing weighs 75.8g and there's about 50g of clay in the three main sections.
Just took a picture of the rear for you (I had fun in my head with you wanting a picture of my rear though! ROFL)
Nic x

Ye Gods!!! ...yes Thoth included!! ....forget it - I'm NEVER going to play with the 'big boys'!!

I would think the maximum I could get for a piece of silver jewellery in this area would be about £100...no one cares about Artisan Jewellers around here!!

And thank you for showing me your back side!! ...and I'm glad I tickled you!! I did think about starting a thread a couple of weeks ago asking if people would show us their back sides...but thought I might me censored and kicked off the forum...."no...no ...you've got it all wrong!!!...I didn't mean...":rofl:

It is lovely though...your back side, that is! That is certainly something I must worker harder at... but it is very hard to sand down tiny, thin pieces without wearing them away entirely!!:D

Di Sandland
12-08-2009, 02:42 PM
But Barbara, when you play witht the big boys you are not limited by area - you send your stuff up to London and sell it there.

Solunar Silver Studio
12-08-2009, 02:50 PM
I've just read 'purple' Lesley's 'signature' line and I think it fits in very well in answer to what you have just said...

'It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live.'

I might be able to sell the odd piece for that amount...if I could elbow Nic out of the way first!!... but what puts the bread and butter on the table for the rest of the year??

....and I would have to invest £80 in pmc and heaven knows how many hours....and I could have made half a dozen other little pieces out of that ...which I have more chance of selling...

Di Sandland
12-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Don't tread in jack boots all over my dreams! My fantasy land is sometimes a whole lot better than the life I inhabit (the jewellery fantasies I mean [-X)

Solunar Silver Studio
12-08-2009, 03:13 PM
We all have our crosses to bear:)

....for example....I am now going to help my 'baby'...now 18 and preparing for Uni... to put mahogany streaks in his 'faux hawk'... (look it up!!...get some Google practice!!;)...), he is developing his new 'image'. I have already 'customised' one of his suit jackets, with some magical tailoring, to fit in with his new style!! and he was so pleased I think he wants me to do the rest of them.....mutter, mutter....I bet Nic isn't interupted like this...mutter, mutter!!!!:(|

Di Sandland
12-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I have some surfer beads to make for number one son (22) who is off to a beach party tomorrow...

Solunar Silver Studio
12-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Ooooo - love to see them....I'm still not very up with male jewellery. Number 3 child (number 1 son) 21 wouldn't be seen dead wearing jewellery of any kind...and as I say, number 2 son (fourth child) is currently undergoing a complete transformation - from scruffy, don't give a damn, teen to a tailored, tweeked and touselled 'style GOD!!' (groan)...don't know what he'll ask for next.....=:-O. I'm just getting the dinner sorted and waiting for the time to wash the die off...5 minutes to go... Let's see if his hair is any where near as red as my finger tip...blimin plastic gloves!!!:rolleyes:

agent_44
12-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Lovely, Nic :)

MuranoSilver
12-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Solunar - the big pieces aren't my "bread and butter" (yet ;)) but I think of them as "advertising" budget. Nope I'm not interupted by big kids (unless you count my hubby, lol).
Besides - judging by your sons "excercise" plan, on your blog I can't imagine they're that much trouble :-D

Agent 44 - :ta:

Nic xx

Solunar Silver Studio
13-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Solunar - the big pieces aren't my "bread and butter" (yet ;)) but I think of them as "advertising" budget. Nope I'm not interupted by big kids (unless you count my hubby, lol).
Besides - judging by your sons "excercise" plan, on your blog I can't imagine they're that much trouble :-D

Nic xx

No - you're right - My kids are just wonderful!!!!...though it must be said, just a little weird at times... but hey, it's all in the genes!!!! Can't go blaming them can I?!!!

:rofl:
The red streaked fauxhawk turned out really well by the way...perhaps I should train as a hairdresser on the side!!

I'll have to work up to an advertising budget of that size over a number of years Nic... I'll have to keep penny pinching until the time when I can at least show a profit at the end of the year! ...and then that will go on the pmc Diploma in Cornwall!!:D

Di Sandland
13-08-2009, 10:29 AM
A quick snatch shot ([-X) of Tom's surf beads (which I forgot and have just made)

MuranoSilver
13-08-2009, 10:43 AM
I really, really like them. Hubby has some onyx and bali style beads I did for him when his wooden ones eventually wore out (he loved them soooo much he wore them every day).
If you don't mind me asking where did you get the wooden beads from (I'd love to surprise him with another wooden version)

Nic xx

Di Sandland
13-08-2009, 10:46 AM
If you don't mind me asking where did you get the wooden beads from (I'd love to surprise him with another wooden version)

Nic xx

Nic, they came from a very old necklace of my own - I'd send you the remains but I don't think there are enough there to make a decent length. Said necklace cost me a fortune back in the day - boy was I ripped off!

MuranoSilver
13-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Lol - isn't that always the way!

Chanters
23-08-2009, 11:28 AM
He will love them beads Moon and that collar on the first page is something else I wish i had a kiln.

The Dragon
23-08-2009, 11:41 AM
It's a sign of quality workmanship when the back looks that good & the front is amazing. In my mind it's worth every penny (probably a bit more), I'm sure someone will love owning that piece.

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

Wolfie75
24-08-2009, 05:56 PM
WoW that is stunning...xc

MuranoSilver
24-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Thank you Clair :D