PDA

View Full Version : How to dispose of pickle?

Bluechair
19-12-2010, 02:48 PM
I've had my pot of acid pickle for over a year, it has lots of bits floating in it as it now taking an age to clean any jewellery. One of the reasons I've had it for so long is not being sure what to do with it.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Emerald
19-12-2010, 06:47 PM
it has been suggested that you let it dry to chrystals and take it to your local tip, unfortunatly mine do not cater for this type of thing so resides in the garage where it gets topped up occasionally

orestruck
20-12-2010, 09:13 PM
You need to neutralise it with a BIG helping of bicarb. When its done fizzing, dilute it and throw it down the drain.......

ps_bond
22-12-2010, 01:57 PM
No! When it's done fizzing, let it dry, then find a tip where you can dispose of it... Chucking the neutralised pickle down the drain dumps heavy metals into the water system - there's a lot of copper in there, and it is an incredibly effective biocide.

orestruck
22-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Oooh, interesting, different to what I was taught. Thanks Peter............

mizgeorge
22-12-2010, 08:17 PM
I always recall the old gardeners trick for killing trees using copper nails. That's enough to stop me flushing spent pickle ;)

Dennis
22-12-2010, 09:10 PM
I always recall the old gardeners trick for killing trees using copper nails. That's enough to stop me flushing spent pickle ;)

I don't think it worked that well though George, it just cured their rheumatism. Dennis.