PDA

View Full Version : Hallmarking questions from a thickie!

pedromorgan
15-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Hello Folks

I have been making sterling silver earings for a couple of years and I have a question about hallmarking.

At the last (and only) craft fair I did, I was very carefull not to describe them as sterling silver. They all were sterling silver, but I had not had any of them hallmarked.

Frankly its a bit of a faff (and expensive) to get them hallmarked, and it would push the price up quite a bit.

Am I allowed to call them Sterling silver when i am selling them on my stand?
Am I allowed to stamp them 925 and call them sterling silver?

I am assuming the official hallmarks will have other characters and will be different from a simple 925 stamp I can buy in Cooksons or similar?

I do this purely for fin. The ones I sell recoup the costs of my hobby bit I dont make a profit, but I would like to make them look a bit more professional if I can.

Peter

Rustic Charm
15-12-2010, 12:47 PM
You are fine without hall marking if they weigh under 7.78g.Anything above this weight has to be marked.You can stamp under weight ones with a 925 yourself as long as you are sure they are sterling.

pedromorgan
15-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Great. thanks for the reply.

Again another stupid question, is the 7.78g per ear ring or per pair?

Peter

Rustic Charm
15-12-2010, 01:16 PM
that is an on going debate but at the moment it seems to be per earring as you can wear one earring at a time and not necessarily as a pair they are classed as two separate items . xx

pedromorgan
15-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for your help!

abyjem
15-12-2010, 06:02 PM
as above, yes you can describe and sell them as 925 silver as long as they are below the minimum weight for hallmarking but I am pretty sure that you are still obliged to display the Dealers Notice on your stall. It doesnt make any difference whether you are doing this as a hobby, making a profit or whatever, the rules are exactly the same.