PDA

View Full Version : Is This A Copy ?

Dennis
13-12-2010, 09:38 AM
I am attracted to long fussy chains, so when I saw a lady wearing one on the bus during the summer, I got out my notebook and made a rough sketch. Sadly I knew that as no one in my circle is a power dresser, they would prefer a shorter version, to conform to their neckline. That also would make it less fussy.

When I came to start on this project in November, my memory had faded and my sketch was not strong on detail. But I’d noted that there was a tube like element on one side, split to reveal a gemstone and that the metal had been blackened. For the rest I opted for a random series of cog like units made from rectangular and square wire. To connect them I experimented with large jump rings made from very thin wire, twisted to make the links. The final length was 42.0cm, with an added extension chain of 5.5cm.

All this was made of sterling silver, but from the central pendant I hung lots of tube settings, made to fan out by soldering them to stainless steel wires. Except for the bullet on the extension chain, the stones were garnet cabochons and in the absence of anything strong enough to push on, the tubes were closed with modified pliers. But before setting the stones, I blackened the silver using Platinol diluted with water, so that the colour could develop slowly for a better finish.

If the designer of the original chain were to spot this, they might have a twinge of recognition, so is this a copy? Dennis.

Below: Sketch On A Bus.
Plan With Link Twisting Tools.
Twisting The Links.
Cog Necklace Detail.
Cog Necklace.

lorraineflee
13-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Oh WOW!!!!

snow_imp
13-12-2010, 10:09 AM
That's fantastic - I'm sure its unique enough that the term "copy" isn't correct - "inspired by" maybe.

mizgeorge
13-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Whatever it is, I love it :)

Sunnybank
13-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Ditto !!!!!

abyjem
13-12-2010, 07:50 PM
It is really lovely

Tabby66
13-12-2010, 09:10 PM
It's lovely Dennis, copy or not!! Can I ask how you have got the different effects on the cogs please?
By the way, love the link twisting tool!

Many thanks
Tabby

MuranoSilver
14-12-2010, 06:49 AM
I love seeing all the planning too - great work Dennis & I'm sure
the original was inspiration only ;)
nic xx

Dennis
14-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Thank you. I could not think of a way to use bought chain for this, so I think the links worked out quite well. The notches were started with saw cuts and then filed with needle files.

Knowing I would blacken it, I was rather cavalier about the solder joints beginning to show on reheating . You will note that one shows on the left as photos are your worst critic.

I really posted this hoping that someone might take up some of the ideas and build on them.
Dennis.

Tabby66
14-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Thank you Dennis, the cogs are very effective. I'm struggling to see your cavalier bit of soldering!!

Can I ask, do you always draw out so exactly what you are going to make??

The reason I ask is that I haven't been taught to be so thorough and I think some of my work could benefit from this. I often undertake the first stage, but then keep sketching until I'm happy with my sketch (size, shape, etc.), define some more definitive lines to create a paper pattern which I cut out with a scalpel and transfer to the silver by first blackening the silver with permanent marker and then outlining the pieces of the pattern with a scribe (I have also glued the pattern onto the sheet in the past but this only alows single use!).

The patterns obviously only have a very limited life:N:, I try now to keep a master, but didn't early on.

Any advice would be most appreciated :D

What do others do??

Tabby

Dennis
14-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Dear Tabby, this has the makings of a tutorial, but I'll try to be brief.

I like to draw on 1mm graph paper because this often shows up faults in my proportions. It also verifies the sizes I should be choosing because they can be read directly off the page. There are other advantages, such as checking items for sqareness.

I am lucky to have access to a photocopier so that I can make labels to cut around. For many purposes I find it sufficient to fix them onto my silver with plenty of Pritt Stick, let it dry and then pierce away. The paper comes off later just with water.

If I need to be very accurate, once the label has stuck, I cut around my design with a newly snapped off craft blade(the kind with diagonal segments). This in effect scribes the metal. For any straight lines I use a ruler. For perfect circles I only mark the centre and complete with dividers when the paper is off again. Dennis

DragonflyLynne
15-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I really really like it :)

Patstone
15-12-2010, 01:42 PM
I like it, I want one

Tabby66
15-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Dear Tabby, this has the makings of a tutorial,

Oh, go on then Dennis..............if you insist ;) yes please!!:rolleyes:

Some of what you describe I do, such as using pritt, but the detailed measured designing would be new to me. I imagine you have a huge "catalogue" of designs, which must be very useful for repetition or for similar designs.

All your help and advice is always appreciated.

Kind regards
Tabby

jille
16-12-2010, 11:08 AM
It's beautiful Dennis, and as a beginner there are so many elements of it that I'd love to learn, like how do you split the tube open?
I love the twisting thing too, thanks
Jill

Dennis
16-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi Jille, make the longitudinal and cross cuts with a saw, squeeze the tube closed again at each end and solder on the disks. Prize the cuts apart by gently inserting a craft knife and then the beak of some round pliers until the opening will accommodate your tube setting.
Your pictures are beautiful, Kind regards Dennis.

Dennis
17-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Here are the studs and ring I made during the week to complete the set. Dennis.

snow_imp
17-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Love those Dennis - really beautiful! Especially the earrings.

Cathy at the Beach
17-01-2011, 04:31 PM
I"m sure it would not be considered a copy. I agree with "inspiration". If you put the two pieces (bus on and yours) together you'd likely be amazed at how different they are.

I have had this happen to me just by chance. I made a pendant that I really liked. Took it to one of the stores that sell my wares and the owner who is also a jeweller said, this looks like one that was in Lapidary Journal mag in Sept! He hauled out the magazine and sure enough there was some similarity. They were different- but both based on similar curved design. I had never even seen that copy of the mag. He sold the piece right away and I never gave it another thought.

I love your piece. It is really gorgeous and beautifully executed!!! Kudos!

bruggen
19-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Wow, absolutely superb, the garnets are my favourite bit, I have not attempted to set stones yet even though I have quite a few and your standard of setting is aspirational. Also really like the cogs, they are truely unique, I love to see work like this it makes me want to go and make something along the same lines, thank you.