PDA

View Full Version : how to make oil paste

cat-mac
30-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Hello

Can anyone tell me the best way to make oil paste?-i have about half a pot of pmc3 paste left. I want to join 2 pre-fired pieces together. I have just used the paste on its own before now but i wasnt completly happy with the results.
I also want to know the difference between paste, slip and oil paste as i confused??
Thank in advance=D>

Kwant
01-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Hello cat-mac
Muranosilver (Nic) has many tips and tutorials on her PMC blog PMC Tips (http://pmctips.blogspot.com/) go here then look under tutorial index and you will see repairing with lavender paste, where too, Nic tells you how to make your own.

Jasmin
02-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Hello cat-mac

I recently replied to another question related to joining two fired pieces - see it here: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/need-help-ask-experts/3229-silver-art-clay-help.html. There is no exact formula for making lavender paste - I tend to throw any leftover bits of dried clay into an old pot of paste and eyeball it with the lavender essential oil until I get a paste that's thick but smooth. If you only have to do a small repair or bit of joining, I wouldn't use half a pot of paste, it will probably be too much and you can save the paste for another project. If you don't have any leftover or dried up bits of clay or paste then you can use a bit from the fresh pot you have, and just mix the amount you require on a clean saucer with a few drops of lavender essential oil - you may need to let it dry just a minute or so if the lavender oil makes the paste too runny - the water from the paste itself will evaporate and you will have a slightly thicker, unctuous paste which will be perfect for joining. Apply it generously to a non-burnished surface (wire brush it if necessary), allow to dry, very carefully pre-polish, refire and finish.

Normal paste will not join fired pieces particularly well but oil paste does a good job - however there are times when it is simply easier to solder, so consider that an option too.

If you decide to make the whole half-pot of pmc paste, any leftover lavender mix will keep reasonably well if you keep it in a little pot with the lid tight on, and then you can just add a touch of water or oil to loosen it if it starts to dry up.

In terms of the terminology used, paste and slip are the same thing, and it is used in its own right as a creative medium, as well as being used to join two unfired pieces together. Oil paste and lavender paste serve the same purpose, to join two fired pieces together and the only difference between them is that the first is bought and the other you can make at home.

Hope this helps!