PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a newbie

susieq
26-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Hi, just started evening class a couple of months ago and am beginning to think about getting my own set of tools together. Had been only considering the basics such as piercing saw, files, pliers, etc., but the more I get into the classes the more I realise that without being able to solder (or anneal) at home, then I may not be able to progress that much between classes.

At the moment, I am attempting to make a bangle in silver 3mm square wire but I am having trouble soldering the joint together as the pallions keep jumping off. According to the tutor "bangle are difficult" which is a shame, because that's what I really want to make!

My specific question is, if I buy one of the hand held soldering torches, or the soldering kit which Cookson has, will this be hot enough for this type of silver soldering. Looking at some of the other posts on soldering, I could buy extra blocks to make a structure to keep the heat in, but would this be sufficient?

Thanks in advance

Susie

Joe
26-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Welcome!

You might want to look at getting the hotter torches recommended in the various posts that you've already come across I see. The Proxxon from Cooksons has very good reviews though amongst smaller torches.

As for leaping paillons... warming the wet flux so it dries out a bit helps, but being ready with the pick or tweezers to reposition a paillon if it wanders is pretty much the way it's done.

Jasmin
28-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Hello Susie and welcome!

I agree that once you get the bug you want to do more and more and it's very difficult to progress with jewellery making if you can't solder at home, however it's really easy to get all the kit together and you can do it pretty much anywhere where there is a good clear space for working in and good ventilation. I use two soldering sheets one on top of another. They sit on an old ikea desk i have, and there is not even a mark on the desk.

I have both the cheap £20 hand held torch that Cooksons sell and the Dremel Versaflame, and I would without a doubt recommend the Dremel, it's easy to use with one hand and does get very hot. I had a problem doing bangles with the first torch in that it just wouldn't heat up all that much, so the solder didn't go anywhere but the Dremel can cope. I think if you want to do bangles, go straight for a product that will work well so do consider the Dremel and the Proxxon that Joe mentions.

In terms of the kit that Cooksons sell, I haven't worked out whether it's good value or not, but I can safely say that you will use every single one of the items included on a regular basis, so in that respect it is a great selection of bits, other than perhaps the choice of torch. The only thing you will need to add is a pickle pot, but I use a cheap slow cooker from Argos with a detachable bowl and it works beautifully! And then a bowl of water for quenching and you're all set.

Jasmin

Dennis
28-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi Susie and welcome. If you have not seen this already I hope it will be of use http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/hot-metal-gold-silver-metal-working/3127-help-soldering.html#post39487. If you can find a cheap metal barbeque base with a raised back (for instance at Argos) it will make a good soldering station and capture hot things you might drop. Kind regards Dennis.