PDA

View Full Version : Polymer (?)

lynnm
22-11-2010, 04:19 PM
I got out my clay today (Have had it for years and never opened the packets but short on silver) and had a play... can someone tell me please about findings? Is it ok to push them in before cooking? One of the packets is fimo and it is really dry.... breaking up real bad. Is it normal or is it out of date? Any advice would be appreciated

surfergirl
22-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Hi Lynnm

I've not done much in the way of polymer clay but am planning on doing so soon and have been researching quite a bit....polymer clay will not stick to anything apart from itself so...yes you can stick findings in but, depending on what kind of finding it is (perhaps a straight eyepin) you'll need to remove it after curing (cooking) and stick it back with a cyanoacrylate glue (super glue).

If the finding had something on which the clay could lock around (a loop on the end of an eyepin) you wouldn't need to use glue - although in addition you could use liquid polymer clay (needs cooking) for added strength.

I've been using FIMO I bought over 12 years ago! It was also very crumbly and hard. I had to condition (knead it with hands, roll it, squish it) for quite a while before it could use it as a lump and well... due to my impatience with all the conditoning, I formed and cooked it when it really could have done with a bit more conditioning. I made molds/stamps which turned out surprisingly well though - quite strong and the resulting lines were crisp. I would use old clay like that for molds,stamps and texture plates rather than wearable pieces as, after cooking - 'plaquing' (white, moon like flecks) was quite prevalent. I think that was more to do with not conditioning for long enough (although some brands of clay are prone to this - FIMO being known for this) Many use a pasta machine for that - I don't have one. Plaquing can be desireable, however, if making faux stones like rose quartz, amber or jade. Plaquing is less visable if using a more opaque colour.

I've not tried any other brands of clay - have just done some experimenting, so hopefully someone with more experience will post!

FYI - Craftyarts have a sale on FIMO at the moment - I just ordered from them - free delivery over £25 and quick too.

What are you planning to make? :)

lynnm
23-11-2010, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the reply :D I have no idea what I want to make to be truthful, so many things come to mind. I made some 'cakes' yesterday and used a mould I have (first time of using that to!) I do have a pasta machine so I am quite lucky. The Sculpey was easy to condition but I played a while with the Fimo before putting it through. Well I tried to put it through the machine but it just crumbled. maybe I will get hubby to have a go at conditioning! ;) Like the idea of making my own moulds though so will have a go at that! My oven is a combi microwave that I was given so I am testing the cooking today, will let you know how it goes!

moodlemoo
15-01-2011, 06:49 PM
hey lynnm

i've done a lot of polymer clay work with fimo and i've found if it is really crumbly pass it through your pasta machine about 10 times squeezing the pieces together inbetween passes.

As to incorporating finding into your pieces i tend to add them to the soft clay before baking. i use simple silver-plated wire and it has come out fine, and still shiny as the oven doesn't get high enough to damage it. it also means your findings are properly secured and you don't end up stuck to your piece with superglue (happens everytime for me).

hope this helps!

lynnm
18-01-2011, 03:07 AM
thanks for the reply. I had fun with the fimo but to be honest the biggest problem since is the white goes a horrible colour... am I overcooking do you think? If I wanted to use what i made with the white i would have to paint it :/

moodlemoo
20-01-2011, 06:18 PM
i've never had any trouble with the white, but have u tried testing the heat of your oven? some ovens can vary by 10 degrees or more and this could cause your clay to scorch and change colour

surfergirl
21-01-2011, 11:49 AM
You may be right in overcooking – are you using an oven thermometer to check the temperature? I find I have to leave my gas oven on the lowest possible setting (gas mark 1/2 which is supposed to be around 120/130 degrees C) for the temperature to remain at around 150 degrees C. Even then, sometimes the temperature spikes and I tend to open the oven door to let cool air in.

Are you covering any of your pieces? Depending on the size of your oven – you may be placing your work too close to the heating element which can happen especially if using a toaster oven. I’m not sure of the size of your microwave so maybe this is not a problem and just to check – you are using the ‘oven’ setting on the microwave rather than ‘microwave’, right?

I place items in a cheap aluminium foil container (the takeaway ones) – and cover with the lid. When making beads I make holes at each end of the container thread a skinny knitting needle through and cure the beads on the needle. This eliminates flat spots and I don’t have to worry about a shiny spot appearing where the clay was in contact with the container.

Not wanting to question your intelligence and appear impolite but – is it definitely white you’re using? Translucent clay (before curing) is also white. I ask as I know some translucents are prone to browning if cured at higher temperatures. A dunk for a while in ice cold water immediately after curing can help.

I’m not sure what you’ve made but if beads and you were not too worried about the size perhaps could you cover them with a layer of coloured clay (or white) and cure with a more controlled temperature.

Do your items have texture? You could use acrylic paint (burnt umber/raw sienna for an aged look) to ‘patina’ the crevices. You could use oil paint and put it back into the oven (for about 10 minutes to set it) – many people have reported problems with oil paint reacting badly with clay as there are so many brands and variables.

You could reheat the pieces (not for too long – just so the rigidity of the clay is reduced) and carve designs into the still warm clay then use these as texturing tools – the success of this would depend on what you’ve made and what tools you have to carve with.

Just some ideas.

Indi :)

lynnm
21-01-2011, 05:00 PM
i've never had any trouble with the white, but have u tried testing the heat of your oven? some ovens can vary by 10 degrees or more and this could cause your clay to scorch and change colour

I confess I haven't... did say in the instructions i should but didn't have the right thing to do it with... maybe I should :/

lynnm
21-01-2011, 05:03 PM
thanks for the reply indi... must have taken some time! Not worried about you questioning my intelligence... I do myself at times! it is definately white and i was making 'sandwiches' so patinating isn't an option really... need the 'bread' to be white! I guess I shall have to buy a temp gauge thing but will keep yuour tops... you never know when I might need them!