PDA

View Full Version : Good supplier ?

Mia
18-11-2010, 03:32 PM
In my evening class we are about to embark on stone setting. I want to purchase reasonably priced stones as I imagine first attempts will be less than perfect !
Has anyone used an Indian company - jewellerysupermart.com ?

Joe
18-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I've bought stuff from a variety of eastern countries with fairly limited satisfaction - even when the stone is of advertised quality (rarely) it is almost never well cut. They're cheap but not a bargain in my experience.

For the cheaper end of the spectrum I do use Magpie Jewellers (http://www.magpiejewellers.co.uk/), who also sell on ebay. They're OK.

mizgeorge
18-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I also use Magpie for cheap stuff. If I want slightly better from people I trust, then Affinity Gems are always extremely reliable, and have a great range of stones and prices.

Dennis
18-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Bellore, bellore (http://www.bellore.co.uk) have lots of inexpensive cabochons, for example garnets or rainbow moonstones. If you need faceted stones I suggest a pack of assorted CZs possibly from Cooksons. I have used these loads of times and they don't look cheap when made up. Dennis.

Mia
18-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Thank you everyone.

Joe
18-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks Dennis, a new one for my list!!

Dennis
20-11-2010, 02:41 AM
I hope they do you well by mail order, Joe. As you will have noted, Bellore have a showroom in Greville street on my tour of Hatton Garden. As they are the nearest to my tube station, they are often my first port of call and sometimes I have to go no further.
The place is always seething with students and hobbyists of every kind. If I need something really cheap such as coloured tiger tail for only one necklace they have been known not to charge me and all with good humour.
One of the things I bought from there is a large piece of soldering board, 20x30 cm. In fact I cut it in half, but I feel much safer with it when using my mini-torch at the bench. It is also soft enough to take pins easily.
A good weekend to all of you, Dennis.

FacetNation
22-11-2010, 02:11 PM
if there are rock n gem shows in ireland (not sure, you will have to look up their site) these are good if you want to handle the stones before buying. i find these shows have a wide range of prices & quality, so something for everyone. and also really unusual cuts sometimes.

ive used magpie in the past too, and they were very good via ebay.

also marcia lanyon, and i have also picked up some really lovely & good value from cooksons too - dont forget cooksons :D