PDA

View Full Version : Length of silver wire for stud earrings

Milomade
16-11-2010, 12:20 PM
I've just been making a lot of little heart stud earrings from the scrap hearts I've got left over from making a load of my spoon love heart pendants and wondered what the standard lenghth needs to be of the silver wire back.

I've currently got them at 1.4cm and think that's a bit long - I don't generally wear stud earrings and so have none to examine and compare.

Many thanks

E

mizgeorge
16-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Weird, I'm certain I already answered this!

I generally aim for about 12mm. If they're too long, they can end up touching the neck, which is very uncomfortable, but I don't think 14mm would be a problem at all.

Milomade
16-11-2010, 02:54 PM
I did a search but I coulsn't find any related threads.

Thanks for teh replay. I think I might trim them down a bit.

caroleallen
16-11-2010, 04:45 PM
I always cut them 1cm. I use a piece of 1cm thick MDF with a hole that I insert the post into and then snip it off.

Milomade
16-11-2010, 06:46 PM
What a fab idea - thanks for the tip - that would ensure that each one is exactly the same lenght. Off to find a piece of wood I can use.

Thanks!

Dennis
16-11-2010, 07:38 PM
If they are too long, people grumble that they dig in and hurt when they fall asleep on them. Of course the people I know fall asleep all the time.

By the way, the consensus seems to be that you first stiffen the post by gripping it with flat pliers and rotating the stud a couple of times. Then you make a groove about 1˝mm from the end by pinching lightly with round/round piers and rotating the earring again. If your posts are still in place after doing that you take a deep breath and have a cup of tea, or whatever. Dennis.

Milomade
16-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks Dennis - mine have been in the tumbler all evening and so are now quite stiff - thanks for the tip on adding a groove - I forgot about that!