PDA

View Full Version : Spectacle setting

JoanneS
10-11-2010, 10:54 AM
hi
Does anyone know how to make a spectacle setting and where I can find the right kind of stone for it please?
I am thinking of the kind of setting where a double sided stone is banded in metal, typically linked into a chain with links on the setting itself- like a bead but without a hole through the middle- I think its called a spectacle setting, but someone may know better.
I see this kind of jewellery everywhere but cannot find any stones that would work for it.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Dennis
10-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Dear Joannes,
A textbook,Jewellery Making Manual by Sylvia Wicks, describes the Spectacle Glass Setting on p. 97. She mentions using two (identical, shallow) cabochons back to back. When I have needed to do this, I have simply made a wider than usual bezel say 4˝mm, soldered a well fitting jump ring half way inside and then set the stones by rubbig down each side. Of course, this is not the real thing, but I have never come across a double sided cab.
Kind regards, Dennis

mizgeorge
10-11-2010, 07:34 PM
If you're looking for a single stone (though like Dennis, I've tended to use two stones, often bullet cabochons), try looking for faceted lentil cabs.

JoanneS
12-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks both- I will continue my search
Dennis- is the purpose of the jumpring to provide a shelf for the stones to sit on inside the setting?
Joannes

Dennis
12-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Yes, it is the bearer. They sit on it back to back, infact they're not talking. It is possible to do without the jumpring, but the job becomes ten times more diffiult. You could well call it the anti-jump ring. Dennis.

JoanneS
15-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks again Dennis. i am going to try it- when I find some shallow cabochons!