PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds - Simulants, Synthetics & C.Z.'s - The differances?

TPMW
07-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Dear all,

I have been a bit baffled by the diference due to multiple terminology between CZ's, synthetic and simulants when it comes to diamonds. Wikepdia says that synthetics are actual diamonds where simulants are not, and are in fact CZ's.

I have a supplier on Ebay calling them simulates (not simulants) at a grade AAAAA ZRO2/CZ, with a Mohs 8.5-9. Can anyone tell me if they are in fact CZ's? They say that are lab produced in russia and cut in the east.

Obviously they are a great cheap alternative to the real thing and I love the idea of a "diamond simulate" being something other than a CZ, as it has a more appealing ring to it, but is it just my wishful thinking?

My thanks for your help on this!

Ian at The Precious Metals Workshop

ps_bond
07-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Hi Ian - broadly, synthetic and lab-grown diamonds are still diamonds, but de Beers will tell you they are "too perfect". Diamond simulants (or simulates, which is a new one on me) are stones that look a bit like diamonds but aren't - including CZs.

Guess what stone has the formula ZrO2?

Joe
07-11-2010, 10:21 PM
To widen the question a touch... does anyone have any advice/experiences of suppliers of synthetic diamonds?

TPMW
08-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi Peter,
My thanks for this. So, in a nut shell, Lab grown and synthetics are still diamonds despite De Beers labeling. Where as simulates/simulants are ALL look-a-likes, like the ones graded I bought, which are CZ's. My supplier said they are up to a 9 mohs, is this possible?
Ian

Hi Jo,
I have no experiance with synthetics yet, but hope to soon.
Ian

ps_bond
08-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Urgh... I'd written far more, than closed the page by accident - have a look at this wiki page:

Diamond simulant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_simulants)

Never bought lab-grown diamonds, but coloured stones I have.

strigeda
08-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Hi all!

I wonder if anyone can advise on what is considered "best practice" for selling jewellery with lab created stones? Specifically, if one is using synthetics (as opposed to CZs or simulants) is it acceptable to just label them as "diamonds" or "emeralds"...or should you always flag up to the customer that they weren't mined?

I apologise if this sounds like I am purposefully trying to be devious, but the simple truth is I would much rather work with clearer stones that my customers can afford to buy, and I doubt many people are interested in a lecture about the various pros and cons of each lol :P

Many thanks in advance :)

Dennis
08-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Dear strigeda,

No need to lecture. Just say exactly what's in the tin and you will gain the confidence of your customers and achieve a higher level of Nirvana.

Kind regards, Dennis.

Kwant
09-02-2011, 02:58 PM
hello strigeda, I think the materials we use are part of the story of each piece and as such I like to let my customers know. As a buyer I would certainly want to know, as in the case you are talking about though the composition of the material is chemically the same there is a difference in value and not everybody would know that. So to my mind, as Dennis said, tell folks exactly what they are getting and relax in the knowledge you have held nothing back.