PDA

View Full Version : PMC Paste Fuschia

Kwant
02-11-2010, 01:21 PM
This fuschia flower was the most difficult real flower painted with PMC paste I have done to date. The problem with it being, I discovered, fuschias are loaded with nectar. This made the paste dry much slower but at the same time the weight of the paste made the petals droop. After much propping and teasing of the paste, applying it to different areas to give support to the petals at their weak points, eventually I got it done.

I made the stamens from 0.5mm and 0.8mm wire, soldered on to a long piece which I poked through before firing, thinking the shrinkage would grip it. It did not, but all was well as the hole at least was there to deal with after.

snow_imp
02-11-2010, 02:42 PM
I like that a lot.

emroyjewels
02-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Ooh - very nice! I love fuschias, wish I had the patience to play with PMC. My one and only attempt was an expensive disaster, so I really admire those that can. Great job!

Dennis
02-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Very special, but what if Harrrods wanted 6 dozen for Christmas? Dennis.

Kwant
02-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Well Dennis, I expect if that were ever the case, I would do as I imagine most of the suppliers to Harrods do, and outsource to penny an hour child labour in China.

wheely
02-11-2010, 10:33 PM
That's so sweet! Would love to play around with PMC paste but I don't have a kiln :(

Kwant
02-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Neither do I, I used a torch, and so far nothing has fallen apart.

Loopy
14-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Beautiful!

Bluechair
19-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Neither do I, I used a torch, and so far nothing has fallen apart.

What a lovely piece, fuchsias are my mums favourite flower.
How long do you let them 'glow' for when you are firing with a torch?

Kwant
19-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Thank you Bluechair, as the parts of this piece kept cooling as I heated another part, I gave it a good five minutes with the torch trying to keep the heat even. I also supported it throughout the firing process in a position to minimise the collapse of the petals.

I suspect this was on the limit of the size of pieces that can be done without a kiln.

FVT
19-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I love it! Fuchsias are such lovely shapes, and I've often thought they are so suited to be turned into jewellery :-) You've really done it justice! I am yet to try the PMC paste direct onto objects approach...it always sounds so fiddly. Pleased to hear you used a torch though as this is my preferred method, but always feel a bit limited as to how 'fancy' my pieces can be in case they fall apart :-O