PDA

View Full Version : Polishing and firing

Bluechair
23-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi, I'm a long time lurker and although not first time poster, it's been a very long time :o

Am trying to find the best way to fire either pmc or art clay at home. I know ideally it would a kiln, but I don't have one available. I have had success with a hand torch, but was wondering if a camping stove would be better especially as I would like to give some pieces away for christmas? I've read up about finding the hotspot but how long should I fire it for.

My other question is about polishing. I did a course a couple of months ago and managed to get a great shine on the piece I made with some sponges, but since then I haven't got such a good shine (is it because the courses pieces were kiln fired rather with a torch?). If I put them in the tumbler would I lose some of the definition (thinking my sons finger prints) or do they come out lovely and shiney. I have access to a dremel and have noticed the pmc polishing kit here, do I still need to use rouge to get a good shine or can I just just use the polishing attachments (ie the no mess option :D).

Thanks for any help

wheely
23-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Re firing, the easiest way to fire at home if you don't have a kiln is on the gas hob. I've heard these microwave kils are good but I've never used one - has anyone here? Timings, I go for about 7 - 10 minutes.
Re polishing, people on here don't seem to rate Dremels, but I bought mine specifically for this purpose and I'm more than happy with it. Yes you still need to use rouge and a pre polishing agent (Tripoli or Hyfin - seperate wheels).
I'm no authority on pmc, but Nic is, hopewfully she'll answer.

Bluechair
24-10-2010, 04:41 PM
I don't have a gas hob (it's electric) but I do have a camping stove, will that work as well?

I bit bullet and chucked a couple of test pieces in my tumbler and am amazed at how shiny they are, I'm really pleased with them. So I guess I have a new question, do I still need to use the metal brush after I've fired them or can I just stick them straight in the tumbler? One of the pieces has some marks on the back which I think are from the brush, so can this step be skipped.

Thanks for the info on the dremel, I think I might stick with the tumbler for a while as my bench is in the house and from what I remember the rouge is a bit messy.

Joe
24-10-2010, 08:09 PM
No need to brush if you're going to tumble.

Luxi (http://www.hewitt-impex.co.uk/luxi.htm)water based compounds are a lot less messy than rouge.

wheely
25-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Might have to give them a try Joe, I get in such a mess with rouge! I don't mind the hands so much but the spray on the face.....

Joe
25-10-2010, 12:06 PM
It just doesn't wash out - horrible stuff; the only thing I wear protective clothing for.

I avoided the Luxi thinking it overpriced, but it's excellent and you can wipe the spray off with a sponge (you still get the spray mind, it's not that clean!).

I must admit that I'd managed to polish both my thumb & forefinger nails last week while using the luxi blue - very effective and striking and impossible to convince your mates in the pub that you've not had a bizarre manicure just on your thumbs!

Loopy
14-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Can you put more than one piece in a tumbler at a time? I've had a tumbler for a while but still scared to use it!

Wendy Moriarty
14-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Yes you can put several pieces into the tumbler at once, once you have used it you will wonder why you where scared, they are great.
Wedy

Loopy
15-11-2010, 09:50 AM
THank you Wendy - that's really helpful. Going to try it then :-)

Bluechair
19-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Joe, I've been putting things in the tumbler with out brushing as you suggested, and they have come out really well, very shiny. Thanks!