PDA

View Full Version : 3mm round golden topaz

LydiaNiz
09-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Someone I know want sone of these for a replacement in a ring I'm fixing for her, but I can't find one anywhere :-( Can anyone help?:'(

Dennis
09-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi, Lydia,
Nice to see you around. In your position I should phone my London favourites :
AE Ward and Son, 020 7253 4036, or
Marcia Lanyon, 020 7602 2446.
As I understand it, topazes are shades of yellow before they turn them blue with irradiation, but they can be quite pale and insipid. Dennis.

LydiaNiz
09-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks Dennis,
The one she has is very pale blue now, apparently it began life yellow.
I'm a bit iffy as the setting is a little dodgy. It's a dragon shaped ring, the tail has snapped off and been repaired twice (not by me), and to preserve it, she wants me to put it on the outside of a wide ring, to look like it's climbing around a wall. All this is fine, but at some point someone has propped a topaz in between its teeth (which is now discoloured and I think cracked). I'm not sure I can safely say I'll replace it the way it is now.
I'll give the numbers a call - I know they're cheap stones, I always feel a bit daft buying something weeny on its own - but I'm stocked up at present, just can't find this!
(Excuse ramble!)
Thanks again
Lyd

Goldsmith
10-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Hi Lydia,
if you have no luck with the stone dealers that dennis suggests, try Manchester Minerals, and if they do not have the topaz you want, why not use a golden citrine as it can be a good substitute for golden topaz and sometimes a better colour.
James

Dennis
10-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Yes, but this could land you in a load of trouble if you attempt any soldering, because:
1. It might not be Sterling and turn permanently tarnished, or melt completely.
2. It might already be glued, or even worse, soft soldered.
Once you start to work on this you will be responsible for what happens next, so if in doubt, swallow your pride and back out.
Good luck, Dennis.