PDA

View Full Version : First day at school

fi79
03-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi all,

I had my first Saturday morning silversmithing class yesterday and had a great time. The people seem lovely, the tutor knowledgeable and we all left with a piece of jewellery by the end of the three hour session. We all made a simple silver band ring out of d-shaped wire. Nothing fancy but it was my first go at sawing and soldering and both worked so I'm a happy bunny.

Next week we use the rolling mill and in our third session we will texture a strip of silver and make another ring.

Can't wait!

Dennis
03-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Sounds like the real McCoy. Can you continue at home aswell?

fi79
03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm more geared up for beading and pmc at the moment. And don't have wads of spare cash. I've just taken advantage of cooksons' freepost offer to buy my materials for the rest of the course but will need to stock up on kit gradually. I'll just need to keep entering the cookies competitions on here and facebook in the meantime in the hope of winning something!!

AlexandraBuckle
04-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Glad you enjoyed your first class! Look forward to seeing some pics soon :)

Gayle
05-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Aw Glad you enjoyed your course. Im kinda jealous wish we had a course near us that did silversmithing. Post us some pics of your cleverness!!! :-) xx

CDW Designs
09-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Hi all,

I had my first Saturday morning silversmithing class yesterday and had a great time. The people seem lovely, the tutor knowledgeable and we all left with a piece of jewellery by the end of the three hour session. We all made a simple silver band ring out of d-shaped wire. Nothing fancy but it was my first go at sawing and soldering and both worked so I'm a happy bunny.

Next week we use the rolling mill and in our third session we will texture a strip of silver and make another ring.
Can't wait!

Where are you doing your course? Sounds like a good one?

fi79
09-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Where are you doing your course? Sounds like a good one?

When I signed up it was Glasgow metropolitan college but it's just changed to the city of Glasgow college. It's a ten week class. Three hours every Saturday morning. Had my second class today. Had my first go at piercing. I managed some wonky shapes in brass. I'll maybe post pics later if I'm not too embarrassed!!