PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Extension Chain

Milomade
01-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Hi All

Just a quick post to ask advice on extension chain. I've made some chokers that use 2mm Greek Leather Thonging. Finished off like so...

I want to add a short extension chain so that the chokers can be adjustable as not everyone has the same neck size - maybe something that 4cm long.

What kind of chain would be best for this?

Thanks
E

emroyjewels
01-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi Milo - not sure what the "E" stands for, sorry!

Whenever I'm making extension chains I always use 05-0428a from thesilvercorporation (http://www.thesilvercorporation.co.uk) which is a 2.9mm x 2mm cable link chain. The links are large enough that your customer can attach the clasp anywhere along it, without it being too heavy or expensive.

Hope that helps!

Milomade
01-10-2010, 01:01 PM
E stands for Evie, but I'm happy to be called Milo too.

Thanks for the advice - I'll have a look at that site and see what you're suggesting.

E

AlexandraBuckle
01-10-2010, 02:57 PM
I've been getting extension chains from The Bead Shop in Nottingham. They only stock them in plated gold or silver though.

Wendy Moriarty
01-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Hi All

Just a quick post to ask advice on extension chain. I've made some chokers that use 2mm Greek Leather Thonging. Finished off like so...

I want to add a short extension chain so that the chokers can be adjustable as not everyone has the same neck size - maybe something that 4cm long.

What kind of chain would be best for this?

Thanks
E
Hi Evie
I get mine from cookies, where did you get your crimp ends from they are very nice, are they silver
Wendy

Dennis
01-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi Evie,
If I may contribute here, I always add about 4.5 cm of extension chain, choosing a size in keeping with the other findings. I have found that some variation of the S- shaped hook is the easiest fastener for the wearer to use with this. It also looks more finished to hang a small charm, or bead on the end of the extension chain, which can double as a weight to make the back hang well.
However, with this system there is a strong tendency for the rear assembly to gradually work its way to the front, which can look unsightly. I have found that the only way to avoid this is to fix the bail of the pendant in place permanently, by crimping, tightening, or adding a small drop of glue inside.
At the end of my thread ‘The Key’ I have shown one of my recent necklaces to illustrate this.
Kind regards, Dennis.

Milomade
02-10-2010, 05:13 PM
What do you mean by "I have found that the only way to avoid this is to fix the bail of the pendant in place permanently, by crimping, tightening, or adding a small drop of glue inside." I don't understand. Also no picture...

Milomade
02-10-2010, 05:15 PM
where did you get your crimp ends from they are very nice, are they silver

They're 2mm ones from Palmer Metals - Sterling Silver Pinch End 2mm (http://tiny.cc/y2lux) - Lovely aren't they - they work really well with the leather thonging.

Milomade
02-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Think I'm just going to order some loose chain from CG and cut to size and might hand wire a very small button on the end of each in keeping and to match the buttons used on the chokers - see examples here - Lovely Button Chokers (http://www.milomade.co.uk/blog/2010/09/lovely-button-chokers/)

Not sure which chain to get yet and not got time to look right now as I've got to finish stripping the horrible wallpaper off my studio wall so I can get on with plastering and painting. Want to be back in there for winter as the new woodburner is now installed and the electrician is coming on Tuesday to sort out my electrics - so if I can get the walls done this w/e I might be able to lay the new floor next weekend and move back in - so esciting - been stuck working in the spare bedroom since January.

Any advice on chain would be great and I'll check back sometime tomorrow or Monday and order some.

Thanks for all the tips and advice so far...much appreciated.

Dennis
02-10-2010, 08:45 PM
What do you mean by "I have found that the only way to avoid this is to fix the bail of the pendant in place permanently, by crimping, tightening, or adding a small drop of glue inside." I don't understand. Also no picture...

Sorry, I realise now that the buttons and pendants at the front of your chokers are already fixed, so what I said does not apply to you. Pendants hanging from bails, can be free to move along until the fastener and the pendant both end up together, which I don't think looks very good.
If you would like to see one of my recent necklaces, search 'Posts by Dennis ', and scroll down until you see 'The Key'. There is a picture quite near the end.
Regards, Dennis.