PDA

View Full Version : Cookson scrap pot

Rustic Charm
29-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi, would someone be able to tell me more bout how the scrap pot works,
ie. what's the minimum wieght i could send,(i recieved mine today and it'll take years if i have to fill it!!)
can i off set it against an order or can i get money back etc etc

thanx

Goldsmith
29-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi Bridget, The answer to your question depends on what scrap you are collecting in your box. My advice is for you to keep scrap in a seperate box to lemel/dust, keeping gold seperate from silver. As to how much you can sell, please remember that you will be charged for melting and assay, to give you an example I was charged £35 plus vat. for melt and assay, the last time I sold some lemel/dust. I sell my gold scrap as clean scrap and get a much better price for it. The carat prices quoted on Cooksons website are for clean and assayed scrap. If you are working in silver you may need a couple of ounces of scrap just to cover the melt and assay charge. Finally I must admit that I do not use Cookson for my scrap dealings.

Dennis
29-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Dear Bridget,
I take in my clean silver cuttings to Cookson, Hatton Garden, when I have a Nescafe jar full, which contains about a kilo. You could use a heavy duty polythene bag to save postage. My main problem has been to argue them out of wasting my money on assay fees. So far I have succeeded by showing my Cookson card and insisting that it was all bought from Cookson in the first place. I have not found this a happy experience compared with the cheerful greeting when I am buying.
Kind regards, Dennis.