PDA

View Full Version : Pewter

Coco
08-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Anyone here work with it? What's it like? I know the best thing is to find out for myself but just really want to know about any potential pitfalls before I rush out and buy a batch

Coco
11-08-2009, 07:32 PM
No answers in 3 days?!! Tssssss!

So while we're on stoopid questions, can you use a soldering iron to solder jewellery or do you always have to use a scary torch?

Solunar Silver Studio
11-08-2009, 08:05 PM
I did a bit of pewter work at college. It is good because it melts at such a low temperature (even in a pan on a hob - but needs good ventilation!) and allows you to make casts really easily...well the cuttlefish ones I did worked at least 50 % of the time!!:-D I didn't really 'float my boat' - it was all a bit chunky and rustic for my liking but I guess if you work at it you can make stuff as refined as in precious metals...well perhaps not quite because it is a rather soft metal isn't it?

The college I went to was as penny pinching as I am and so made us cut up pewter tankards from Charity shops to get the metal to work with - not really old ones though because they have lead in them!!

As for needing to use scary torches....does creme brulee frighten you??!!=:-O If you can cook by gas and caramelise sugar toppings on your pudding with a chef's torch then you can solder!! It doen't really work with a soldering iron because you need to get all the metal up to a soldering temperature before it works and an iron just won't do that. These little torches are tiny and pretty well behaved.....now if you were contemplating using an oxy-acetylene torch I would be running from the building with you as they scare me rigid!!=:-O

mizgeorge
11-08-2009, 09:02 PM
I've had a play (briefly) with pewter, but hated the smell too much to do any more.

And yes, you really do need a 'real' torch for soldering, but small scale stuff really doesn't need a big flame at all.

No lampworking for you then Barbara?? ;)

Solunar Silver Studio
11-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I've had a play (briefly) with pewter, but hated the smell too much to do any more.

And yes, you really do need a 'real' torch for soldering, but small scale stuff really doesn't need a big flame at all.

No lampworking for you then Barbara?? ;)

I agree about the fumes!! And - surprise, surprise...I did do some lampwork at college but I didn't really take to it...in fact there were all sorts of hot burny things at college I didn't really enjoy that much!! ...but I loved the experience!! I've just put some photos in an album on my profile if you want a good laugh!!

mizgeorge
12-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Your lampwork beads are great Barbara! The glass vessel is very 'interesting' too :)

Loving the goggles.....

Coco
12-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks. And while I'm on a roll...can you polish gemstones with a dremel or do you need a proper lapidery wheel thing?

EmmaRose
12-08-2009, 12:16 PM
pewter- pro-cheap, low melting point, suitable for food use, does not tarnish. cons- smell, must be lead free, not as hard, not as shiny.
good firm working in pewter:
http://www.gloverandsmith.co.uk/

dremel- polish the stones or the setting? I am sure you must be able to find an attachment somewhere to do it!
Em

Coco
12-08-2009, 12:25 PM
The stones

Di Sandland
12-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Brilliant site Em - those bowls are gorgeous