PDA

View Full Version : Letter Punches

louise2812
23-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Does anyone have any tips on using letter punches so that the letters line up! mine seem to be all over the place! Thanks

Dennis
23-09-2010, 08:31 PM
For the first time this week I used some letter punches to identify my work in a class. The result did not matter here, but I struggled even to get the indets an even depth. If I had to do this for real I would get a piece of L shaped metal, lay the work on the bottom and hold the punches against the side. you might have to glue a further narrow strip high on the upright to bring the punches further forward.
But the sad truth is that I use Dremel electric engraving tool, which has a fine point and works by vibration. they cost around £10 and write almost as well as a pen.
Kind regards, Dennis.

louy
23-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Hi Louise,

Iv tried loads of different ways, some similar to above, but never really found a perfect way. The best thing to do is really take your time to postion the stamps, do some practices on scrap for spacing, and in time it will become second nature once you get to know your stamps.

I think half the charm of letter punches are the handmade wonky look, if you want a perfect line maybe think about engraving?
Louy