PDA

View Full Version : silver art clay disaster- broken fired piece

madamcc
12-09-2010, 08:17 PM
hi all,
I have been making some silver clay pendants and using pmc3 and recently thought I would give pmc+ a go as I read it was better for finer details, ( i have been using handmade stamps on the clay). however this time after firing, sanding etc, when I thought the pendant was nearly finished it snapped in half. Is this because I did not fire in long/ hot enough???? I torch fire it.
not hand this problem before.

also is there anyway I can recycle the broken fired art clay or use it up in some way . wasted about 7gms????
any advice is welcome, thanks in advance.

wheely
12-09-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm no expert, I think you need Nic for that, but to me it sounds like it wasn't done for long enough. I've never torch fired before, only ever on the gas ring. As for reusing, I guess like sterling you can ment it down. I think you can aslo refire it after 'glueing' the 2 (or however many) pieces with slip, or paste. Don't quote me though!

MuranoSilver
13-09-2010, 09:08 AM
There are one of two options for the snapping in half, either underfiring or the piece was too thin.
Assuming that it was at least 3 or 4 cards thick, you could make some lavender oil paste and try refiring it.
Instructions are here :)
PMC Tips: Tutorial Index (http://pmctips.blogspot.com/p/tutorial-info-links.html)

Nic x

wheely
13-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Nic, can the paste be made with any other oil, and does it keep?

madamcc
13-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Thank you for the suggestions I will try this. also once properly fired, can it be treated just like silver with regards to hammering etc? love this forum by the way, fabulous advice

elliboo
14-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Not Nic, but I think oil paste can be made with other essential oils but lavender is by far the most commonly used. Make sure to use something that won't harm your skin in direct contact etc. Can't remember whaere I read it though so can't give you a link. Silver clay can be strong when it's fired (given that it is pure silver so will never be as strong as sterling and you should make appropriate allowances), but I wouldn't want to hammer it if it's been torch/hob fired. It seems to need a good long(2 hours) firing in a hot kiln (850 - 900C) to become enough like metal to hammer. I have dapped/hammered/shaped pieces after long hot firings with good results.