PDA

View Full Version : Check out my latest youtube video

Shaun750
15-08-2010, 10:25 PM
I'd say I enjoy making videos to put on youtube more than making jewellery, at the moment.It probably wont last long.
Here's my latest offering.The music and style is a total rip off someone elses video(but not half as good.)
If you don't know, Banksy is a UK Stencil artist. I tried to create a niche making stencil/graffiti inspired jewellery,but,have come to conclusion,that people who are really into graff are even more skint than me!! They are also totally paranoid,and anti capitalism,so if you offer to sell them something, they often tell you to F off,for about two years until they trust you.
My proudest moment,came when I got an email from a guy in Luxembourg telling me they they have my little video,embedded on the Banksy forum.When i tried to join the forum a while back,they said no!!

YouTube - Banksy balloon girl 'There Is Always Hope' Silver Necklace (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgTsQttKszc)

jille
16-08-2010, 06:01 AM
Just watched your video, it had me enthralled from start to finish
I've got serious tool envy now
Thanks for taking the time and trouble, i've made a few youtube vids myself so i know how time consuming they are
Jill

PureGold
16-08-2010, 07:32 AM
I can't afford most of your kit but I will be making myself an eye level piercing support ( I can just about afford the ply wood!) What a brilliant idea!

orestruck
16-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Great vid Shaun, thanks for sharing!

Sarah

Shaun750
16-08-2010, 09:35 AM
I can't afford most of your kit but I will be making myself an eye level piercing support ( I can just about afford the ply wood!) What a brilliant idea!

If you look carefully,there is £3 written in pencil on that piece of wood.It was an off-cut outside a wood shop.I used the rest to make cupboard doors.
I've got some more detailed pics of it on the site somewhere, I've also got an idea of a modification i may make one day.

Dennis
16-08-2010, 12:40 PM
That's just brilliant Shaun, I think everybody should watch it. Can you say a bit more about your engraving machine? Dreml now have a hand held vibrating version for around £10, which I use for signing things that don't get hallmaked. I guess yours is more like a £K job.
Kind regards, Dennis.

Shaun750
16-08-2010, 01:03 PM
That's just brilliant Shaun, I think everybody should watch it. Can you say a bit more about your engraving machine? Dreml now have a hand held vibrating version for around £10, which I use for signing things that don't get hallmaked. I guess yours is more like a £K job.
Kind regards, Dennis.

Thanks Dennis.
It's called a Dhalgren wizzard 2000st, it's a really old engraver/plotter,but it's built like a tank.They come up on ebay now and again are aren't that expensive for what you are getting.They have a few limitations,but I work around them.
I manged to learn how to use it from trial and error.If you google for it,you'll probably only find posts,by me asking questions on the cadlink website.
If anyone takes the plunge and get's one,I'll teach them how to use that sucker in 24 hours.
The more expensive bit is the software(engravelab expert),but i'm sure there would be cheaper ways to tell the machine where to go.
I've developed the tecnique using a combination of software,adobe illustartor,artcam jewelsmith and engravelab. It will follow and vector line.
I've also got(another chepie) a tablet PC (stylistic 3500) that I've managed to get XP working on.I can actually sketch on the PC screen in vector lines and the machine will draw them for me.I don't often do it that way though,but it's there as a back up.

I still like the idea of hand engraving,but using the machine stops me from practicing,which if you dont use it,you loose it.
The machine doesn't save that much time,I've had it for quite a few years now,and still can't bare to walk away and let it do it's thing. I have to stand there watching it working.

Dennis
16-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Thank you Shaun,
You are obviously keen as mustard, but for me it is my retirement hobby so it would be a little bit over the top to get into that.
Kind regards, Dennis.

Shaun750
17-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Thank you Shaun,
You are obviously keen as mustard, but for me it is my retirement hobby so it would be a little bit over the top to get into that.
Kind regards, Dennis.

Keep a look out dennis,I'm sure there must be 100's of them gathering dust in schools.They look like an old fashioned electric typewritter,so if you didn't know you would be glad to get rid of them.
The nice thing they do is draw a line for you that you can follow with your saw frame,no need to file after cutting.My cutting line is probably wandering no more than .2mm. Before i would print on paper and stick it down to the gold.The thickness of the paper,made the cut quite inaccurate.
I think I'll do a video with some hand engraving in it soon though.There's a quality about it that the plotter just can't do,and i need the practice.I'll get the plasters and the bleep machine ready though.

caroleallen
17-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Wow! I'm well impressed by that.

MuranoSilver
17-08-2010, 09:42 AM
I loved watching the video - thought the Banksy mug at the end was a really neat touch too :)
Nic x

DragonflyLynne
17-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Thank you so much Shaun, that was brilliant! :)

Shaun750
18-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments. There's always a doubt that it isn't as good as i think it is. It got a bit of an odd reaction on Urban Art Association - Banksy Balloon Girl Silver Necklace (http://banksyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=58463) Saying it was to long.
I know it's something i would watch again and again,so people on here are who it's made for really.

Here's a little story of how things work out,when you stop trying.
Because I like stencil/graffiti art, I thought it would be good to offer a service to turn stencil artists designs into pendants,using my engraving/cutting method.
One of the forums I tried to join last year,was a Banksy forum. I was refused entry.

My little video,is now hosted on a Banksy forum and I got as message through Youtube from a Mod asking if i would like to join. He also gave a link to someone on there to my etsy and they immediately bought one of the Balloon girl necklaces.

wheely
18-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Seriously impressed! I need engraving done, I've got to go find somewhere that'll do it. I wonder how much that will cost me. Were I your neighbour I'd be straight round -that machine is neat!
Also dead impresssed with your piercing. Wish mine was as accurate, and I do the print on paper and stick down thing too lol.

Joe
18-08-2010, 10:15 PM
That was a delightful video and a lovely, artistic idea - putting graffiti into people's personal space with jewellery; very much in line with my own work!

I hope you can press on with that arty idea.

Shaun750
18-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Seriously impressed! I need engraving done, I've got to go find somewhere that'll do it. I wonder how much that will cost me. Were I your neighbour I'd be straight round -that machine is neat!
Also dead impresssed with your piercing. Wish mine was as accurate, and I do the print on paper and stick down thing too lol.

There is a better alternative to sticking paper,and should give as accurate a cut as my method,for just a few quid.
I haven't used this method for a while,but I know it works 100% I used it when I did hand engraving.
If your lucky enough to have a laser printer,then that will save time,but any printer will work.
Get some silicone parchment paper(nothing else will work),then some extra strenght hair gel. Spray the paper with the hair gel and dry with a hair dryer.
Spray some hairspray(cheapest will do) on your metal and dry with hairdryer.
Print the design (mirror image of what you want)on the hair gel paper and use it just like a transfer,scratching off with a blunt stick or pencil.
I think I used to spray over the metal again with aerosol varnish to fix the design so it could take a bit of rough treatment.
This way you wont have the thickness of the paper taking away from you getting your saw blade as close to the line as possible,and you'll do hardly any fileing.
I might be a bit off with some of the instruction(it's been a while),but the secret is the silicon parchment paper,nothing will stick to it.
Let me know what you want engraved,if you can vectorise it yourself even better.For some designs it's what takes the most time.I traced a celtic design and St Patrick once for 8 hours,almost non stop.
Tip for piercing is get as close as you can(I used to get so close the saw would touch my nose) or get an optovisor,I got a cheap one off ebay and it works great,I will one day get a better one,as it getting a bit loose,but the lenses are good.

That was a delightful video and a lovely, artistic idea - putting graffiti into people's personal space with jewellery; very much in line with my own work!

I hope you can press on with that arty idea.
Appreciate feedback for my videos.
My main focus is as much making the videos as it is jewellery,basically I'm making videos the what I would want to watch.
When I tried to promote the stencil art/graffiti art idea it didn't work,but that little video has taken on a life of it's own,by being linked on a banksy forum.The guys on there are very welcoming and doing all the work for me?? Linking the video,then my etsy and then to another pendant i did(Zevs liquidate chanel logo) amazing,and I'm not really focused om making money at the moment,just keeping active right now and enjoying myself??

wheely
19-08-2010, 12:42 PM
if you can vectorise it yourself even better
I wouldn't have the first idea where to start. I think I must be thick lol.
And thanks for the piercing tip! Off to ebay...

niceguyjoe
19-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Thats amazing!

Shaun750
20-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Thats amazing!
Thanks again,it really does help to know that people think it's a good video. I think it's good,but i worry that I might be one of those people who go on Xfactor and think they can sing.

It has made one sale at least for the pendant and genderated some interest in what I do,but my main reason for making the video,was just for fun,and to see if I could make a cool looking video.
I've started making another one with a diffrent pendant,but it's getting a bit long.I have included some unitended product placement(wd40 and borax) and some blatent product placement,but I'm the product this time.

Do you all mind if i pick your brains a bit?

Is the subject more of interest than the style of video?
Is it to long?
If i did another one, should I include the whole process or just cut to the chase?
How do you think I could improve the look,or the content of my little video.

I've shyed away from putting up titles,as i don't want it to look cheesy,and i don't think I'll ever be appearing/talking on camera,a cockney accent,just wont work.
Who would buy jewellery of that 'dodgy sounding geezer'..........well I know a lot of people who would :),but i don't want to be that bloke.
Cheers........................

Dennis
20-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Well Shaun, the public no doubt want a quick tour and then cut to the chase, as in: ‘Here’s one I finished earlier’ da-dah. As for myself, I could watch you for hours. I have had very little contact with real jewellers, so I eke out my knowledge with amateur improvisations. Kind regards, Dennis.

Shaun750
20-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Well Shaun, the public no doubt want a quick tour and then cut to the chase, as in: ‘Here’s one I finished earlier’ da-dah. As for myself, I could watch you for hours. I have had very little contact with real jewellers, so I eke out my knowledge with amateur improvisations. Kind regards, Dennis.

Thanks Dennis. My main motivation was to first make a cool looking video,and then to make a video I would want to watch,so it as aimed at you.
Plus I want to make it clear that what I'm trying to sell is not mass produced and the price i charge is well justified.
When I used to do repairs,I would explain in detail(from nerves at what to charge at first) how i was going to repair the item,the customer 99 times out of 100,didn't have the slightest interest.
It took a while to be able to say " It'll be ten quid, and ready by friday."

wheely
20-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Personally I was enthralled from start to finish. I liked to be able to watch the process, and as Nic said the mug shot at the end was a nice touch.

Let me know what you want engraved
I could send you the image I'm copying and show you exactly what I want doing.

Shaun750
21-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Personally I was enthralled from start to finish. I liked to be able to watch the process, and as Nic said the mug shot at the end was a nice touch.
I could send you the image I'm copying and show you exactly what I want doing.
Thanks,my sister inlaw and niece stopped watching the video,when it cut away to the tools?? They are probably what I should be aiming for? There is a cool feature on youtube,once I get enough views(it's got stuck on 300 even though I've had more). It's called hotspots and shows when viewers lost interest and stopped watching.
Sounds good idea sending me an idea of what you need engraved.feel free see what we can come up with.

Here's another video,more of the same.I rushed it a bit,but can you's spot the product placement?? Got to think of a new subject(before i get bored and give up) and/or style of video now though? I've got a new(second hand really) camera coming which should speed up the process?
YouTube - Sterling Silver Praying Panda Pendants (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r62u2zjBjg)

wheely
21-08-2010, 09:39 PM
First and foremost those panda's are so darn cute! Again my interest was held right to the end, and I love that engraver and I can see why you have to watch it at work, it's kinda mesmerising - know what I mean?
Re thge cut to the tools you mentioned above, I can see why a viewer would lose interest there as it doesn't really add to the process you're showing, if that makes any sense.
Just my 2 pence worth! Compared to you my stuff seems so crap, but I thought my opinion could be added to the pot. :)

Shaun750
21-08-2010, 10:34 PM
First and foremost those panda's are so darn cute! Again my interest was held right to the end, and I love that engraver and I can see why you have to watch it at work, it's kinda mesmerising - know what I mean?
Re thge cut to the tools you mentioned above, I can see why a viewer would lose interest there as it doesn't really add to the process you're showing, if that makes any sense.
Just my 2 pence worth! Compared to you my stuff seems so crap, but I thought my opinion could be added to the pot. :)

Cheers ,the pandas are just some pics i came across. I then found a panda font and made a whole family of diffrent panda stuff?? Earrings etc.All i doing really is, printing(engraving) the designs onto metal and cutting around them. They don't get that many views on etsy(you can track them) and then all of a sudden,someone bought two.The engraving on the back was a freebie because I was so greatful.
Appreciate the feedback,I just love that cutaway to the tools,because it's what I would want to see.I had to delete one clip of tools in the latest vid cos it kept crashing my laptop at that point,it was reversed??? Someones trying to tell me something.
The new family I'm gonna make is a family of Lady Gagas in diffrent costumes....Don't ask, I can hardly draw,but got intouch with an artsist on deviant art,for permission to make here images into jewellery. Now i wonder what sound track I could use for that video???

wheely
22-08-2010, 02:31 PM
The new family I'm gonna make is a family of Lady Gagas in diffrent costumes....Don't ask, I can hardly draw,but got intouch with an artsist on deviant art,for permission to make here images into jewellery. Now i wonder what sound track I could use for that video???

Now THAT I have to see - I love Lady Gaga!

Shaun750
22-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Now THAT I have to see - I love Lady Gaga!

Just finished the first one.
I'm to impatient to take decent pictures.
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/shaun750/3a6113c0.jpg
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/shaun750/d6586a8a.jpg
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/shaun750/9df68620.jpg

Tabby66
22-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Hi Shaun,
I think your videos are great. I find them fascinating, but more from a technique, learning interest, so I'm not sure that I am really your target market?! I found the moving around the G clamp early on made me a bit sea sick, but then I find the same with the pirate ship at fairs!! I'm sure that technically and from an arty perspective that would be much admired:). The product placement and promotion of where to buy was great!

Keep them coming :D

Tabby

Shaun750
22-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Hi Shaun,
I think your videos are great. I find them fascinating, but more from a technique, learning interest, so I'm not sure that I am really your target market?! I found the moving around the G clamp early on made me a bit sea sick, but then I find the same with the pirate ship at fairs!! I'm sure that technically and from an arty perspective that would be much admired:). The product placement and promotion of where to buy was great!

Keep them coming :D

Tabby

Thanks Tabby,
your confirming what I kinda had a feeling. Once i learn a new camera trick,I use it over and over.
I videoed making the Gaga pendant. I think I'll keep the effects to a minimum,and quite short. I read somewhere,if you want a youtube hit,you've got to keep it under 90 secs.
Having kittens and cleavage in the vid helps as well??? we'll have to see about that one ;)

Shaun750
23-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Gaga video is up on my alter ego youtube account.
I think I'll have 'punters' videos(short and sweet) on that, and more jewellery making vids on my express375.That way,we are all happy:)
YouTube - Mini Gaga Silver pendant. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4yryLof6lw)

Mia
25-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Loved all three videos. As aspiring jewellery maker was very interested in the processes and the tools so I was very engaged the whole time, but I thought they would hold attention of non-makers also. Thought the length was good. Views of G-clamp not good. Intrigued by your plank bench peg - never seen one of those !
Keep them coming - I'll be watching for them now!

Shaun750
25-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Views of G-clamp not good. Intrigued by your plank bench peg - never seen one of those !
Keep them coming - I'll be watching for them now!

Cheers for commenting Mia,I'll take it easy with the camera movements and fish eye lens effect in future.
I've made a start on a new one of a custom order I just finished.
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/shaun750/dbf34655.jpg
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/shaun750/b6b87645.jpg
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/shaun750/334e0045.jpg
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/shaun750/604c4f4c.jpg
It's gonna take a while as i want some tricky titles,probably take 8 hours(cos I'm a bit slow) just for a few seconds .
There's a few more details pics of my 'plywood piercing platform'(just thought of the name) on this site somewhere,just a bit of wood at 45 degrees,with a hole and a slot.I invented it after cutting a pendant that took 6 hours to cut.

Smith
12-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Nice vid, I liked it :Y: