PDA

View Full Version : Barmy idea

fi79
13-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi folks,

I've had the slightly barmy idea of trying to make a little trinket box to keep my wedding and engagement rings in when I take them off at night. At the moment I just leave them loose on the bedside table. Problem is I'm not sure where to start. Can anyone point me in the direction of some instructions/examples? I've had a quick squizz online but can't really see too much. I don't even know how much clay a project like this would take!

I know I'm totally stretching the limits of my not very wide abilities but it could be something I work on over time.

Thanks in advance!! :dance:

MuranoSilver
13-08-2010, 01:32 PM
This months beads and beyond has a trinket box tutorial....it says it uses 30g of clay :)
Alternatively (for a lower cost) why not make a metal clay lid and feet for a polymer clay box
Here are two tutorial overviews from Whole Lotta Whimsey
Metal Clay & Faux Bone Box - Angela Baduel-Crispin (http://www.tonyadavidson.com/musings_and_mullings/2010/07/design-challenge-25-angela-baduelcrispin.html)
Metal Clay & Glass Box - Vickie Hallmark (http://www.tonyadavidson.com/musings_and_mullings/2010/07/design-challenge-24-vickie-hallmark.html)
The full step by steps will be available to purchase from their website soon but they might give you some inspiration :Y:

Hope that helps
Nic xx

fi79
13-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Thank-you Nic - I thought you'd be the woman with the answer! They both look great - although my skill level is proably closer to the shape of the glass one than the faux bone one!! I'll have a bash and post the results.

As usual, you're a star.

Dennis
13-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Not such a barmy idea, and when you've made it keep a piece of anti-tarnish strip in the bottom to absorb the airborne sulphides. Kind regards, Dennis.

jille
13-08-2010, 06:34 PM
if you have a kiln you could decorate a bone china or porcelain box, maybe add some pmc to embelish it. I make a lot of lustred boxes with dichroic glass embelishments, they are great for rings and earrings.