PDA

View Full Version : Firing silver metal clay with ceramics

willow
10-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Hi. can someone tell me what is the highest temp. that ceramics can be fired, I want to edge a piece with silver clay.
Thankyou
Ann

mizgeorge
10-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Most ceramics are fired at far higher temperatures than needed for metal clay. You do need to take care with the ramp rate as some can crack if heated too quickly.

willow
10-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks George, is the ramp rate the time the kiln takes to get to temp? sorry to sound stupid but I'm not sure how to do that.
Ann

mizgeorge
10-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Yes it is Ann :)
Depending on your controller, it's simply a case of specifying how many degrees per hour the temperature rises until it reaches its firing temp.
I believe you can also preheat pieces with ceramic inclusions in a domestic oven before firing them - though I'm not sure how scientific an approach this is!

jille
11-08-2010, 06:30 AM
I'm an overglaze painter, I fire as hot as 900C for some techniques, taking 3 1/2 hours to get there. You have to leave the kiln to cool before opening. Ceramics can be fired much hotter than this tho.
I have used silverclay on some ceramic pieces, it did change the colour of the lustre next to the clay
Jill

snow_imp
11-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Ooh, I like those pieces Jille! Love the colour of the ceramics - so warm.

MuranoSilver
11-08-2010, 08:12 AM
I love those pieces too Jille! (gorgeous :Y:)
Ann if you're going to try silver clay on a piece with a glaze try a cool colour e.g. a blue one
as they seem to react less.
Have a look in Noortje Meijerinks Showcase pages she also does some fabulous
clay and ceramic work :)
Keramiek Noortje Meijerink - Showcase (http://showcase.noortjemeijerink.nl/?raku-pmc-zilverklei-02)

MuranoSilver
11-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi. can someone tell me what is the highest temp. that ceramics can be fired, I want to edge a piece with silver clay.
Thankyou
Ann

Be careful adding an edge all the way round the clay will shrink as it fires and may break your piece..... :(

willow
11-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks all of you very much for the information, it has been a big help.
Jill - those pieces are beautiful
Nic - thanks for the link to that site, amazing stuff.
I am helping someone else with this project, they want to try bezel the ceramic with the clay, something that I havn't tried myself, I am aware that I have to allow for shrinkage, and as it can be a bit hit and miss it will be a bit of an experiment.
Ann

jille
11-08-2010, 12:29 PM
wow Nic, that site has some very inspirational work. I haven't tried silverclay with blue lustres, I will give it a go. Presumably those raku pieces are glaze fired before the silverclay is added.

willow
15-08-2010, 08:00 PM
:) Cheers guys, experiment worked!