PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow Met College course

fi79
24-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Hi folks!

I'm thinking of signing up for a 10 week Saturday morning class at Glasgow Met College. I feel like I need to step things up to the next level. I still have a lot to learn about PMC but really want to learn some other skills like soldering and sawing sheet silver etc.

Does anyone have experience of this course. If not, what do you think of the course description and students work pics? Does it look good value for money and what kind of questions should I ask them before I sign up?

Jewellery Making Evening and Saturday Classes - Glasgow Met College Scotland (http://www.glasgowmet.ac.uk/jewellery-making.aspx)

Thanks!! :dance:

elburnzo
26-07-2010, 08:41 AM
hey there, not been on this course but i have heard tht the saturday course at north glasgow college is very good and they accept ILA as payment (you can get this if your earnings are under about £15000) Im going to enrol on the next one starting at the end of August. Think enrolment starts 17th August.

purple4711
26-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi- I did this course (one evening a week) a couple of years ago. It was a really good starter course, covers everything and gives you a chance to practice as they have a really well stocked studio. I dont know if it will be the same teacher, mines was a man....cant remember his name.
When I did it there were other people there who had done the starter course, then came back to work on their own pieces and use the equipment,but he was on hand if they got stuck or needed advice.

I also more recently did an evening course at Brazen studio in Glasgow- which was much quicker and didnt go into setting stones, but did cover all the basics and some really nice acid engraving techniques that the Met course didnt cover.
The Met course did cover stone setting, but for me it was too much all at once. I want to go back now and do a stone setting course (Brazen used to do an evening one for that specifically). Saying that there were people on the Met course who totally got the hang of stone setting, and made some amazing pieces!

The class I did at the Met was taught by someone with years of experience, the course at Brazen was taught by a woman who is making and selling contemporary jewellery, so both have been fascinating teachers.

Hope this helps in some way,
Lesley

fi79
27-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for your answers. I looked at the North Glasgow course but I don't always have access to a car at the weekends so it's not too easily accesible to me. I've plumped for the Met course. I booked my place yesterday - roll on Oct!!!

purple4711
29-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Brilliant, hope you enjoy it....keep us informed : )