PDA

View Full Version : Free copper sheet

ps_bond
06-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Bleeding obvious to many, but I still keep coming across people to whom this is new:

1. Find a short piece of copper pipe. 22mm is good, but 15mm is OK too. Make sure there is no solder on it; paint is OK, but it will stink to high heaven shortly.
2. Cut a slit down the length of the piece. A saw gives me the cleanest edges, while shears tend to leave a slightly more jagged edge. If there is any internal ridge to the pipe, try to cut along there.
3. Anneal the chunk of pipe. Get it up to a nice dull red, then quench in water or air cool as the mood takes you. While this isn't strictly a pipe any more, don't point one end towards you if you do quench it (quenching pipes like this can blast a jet of scalding water and steam).
4. Pickle it.
5. Using fingers (for 22mm pipe) or ring pliers, splay the pipe open. Then flatten it on a bench block, anvil or other flat surface.

You now have a sheet of fairly pure (.999) copper about 0.8 to 0.9mm thick. A 22mm pipe unrolls to about 2 1/2" wide.

Trivially simple, isn't it?

myke
06-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi Peter. good plan I have not bought any copper for the last 15yrs old piping and old water tanks are great someone is always replacing tanks ect all the best myke

ps_bond
06-08-2009, 08:52 AM
The older the better on water tanks. The newer ones with blown foam insulation are a pest - I've got one sat around that I still haven't chopped up. I think I'll need to use a paint scraper to get the foam off first, which will either leave some foam on or scar up the surface of the tank. Oh well.

myke
06-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Hi Peter with the foam coverd tanks I have found if you take chanel of foam of then leave the weather rain ect to to it,s work for a month then the foam comes off without to much hassle. all the best myke

Atelier Ava
06-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Brilliant idea and something I had not thought of.
If you are feeling really adventurous you could go for the really big one which will keep you in copper for a couple of years. Go to freecycle and offer something up free before you ask for an old copper hot water tank preferably without a foam covering. I have cut up one of these by hand before now but my last one was such thick copper I had to get help from a local coppersmith. Not so good for jewellery because of the weight but good for beating, enamel pictures etc.
Paula

ps_bond
06-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Hi Peter with the foam coverd tanks I have found if you take chanel of foam of then leave the weather rain ect to to it,s work for a month then the foam comes off without to much hassle. all the best myke

So that is enough to loosen it? Excellent, thanks Myke!
I *really* didn't want to start burning that stuff...

I tend to use aviation shears when cutting the big stuff up - an angle grinder isn't good because the copper galls so much and grabs the disc - particularly problematic if you're using the very thin "plasma" discs.

Lindyloo
06-08-2009, 08:59 PM
What a great idea. So if we all start rummaging through skips together, it won't seem so bad? :-"

EmmaRose
07-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Ha, I already skip rummage for acrylic.....sign makers off cuts! usually free or charity donation :)
E

Lindyloo
07-08-2009, 10:18 PM
I've got so much to learn. I actually PAID for some acrylic recently. #-o

EmmaRose
10-08-2009, 07:02 PM
LOL, well if you get exactly what you want...skips can be random! worth a rummage tho!
E

shelliem
22-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks for this tip.

My Dad is a bathroom fitter and so always has plenty of copper pipe hanging around - that is until I raided his supply after reading this :Y:

Sunnybank
22-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Got a bit bored yesterday afternoon, so guess what I did! My dremel came with a free mini disc cutter attachment and discs, which I said I'd never have a use for, well I did

Emerald
22-11-2009, 01:37 PM
but if you buy the copper pipe then its not free!?:hohoho:

Sunnybank
22-11-2009, 05:28 PM
but if you buy the copper pipe then its not free!?:hohoho:

Mine was an offcut from when the new shower was fitted, so it was free

The trouble is that the scrap price is quite good so most plumbers have a scrap bin just like our scrap pots, but bigger and they visit the scrappy when they are full. This means they aren't quite so likely to pass on offcuts, unless you have a plumber in the family.

I've now polished my pendant and it looks like new.

Emerald
22-11-2009, 05:43 PM

The trouble is that the scrap price is quite good so most plumbers have a scrap bin just like our scrap pots, but bigger and they visit the scrappy when they are full. This means they aren't quite so likely to pass on offcuts, unless you have a plumber in the family.

I've now polished my pendant and it looks like new.

Sorry Sunny and a very nice pendant it is to :Y:

shelliem
24-11-2009, 11:00 AM

How lucky am I! I wish my Dad would give up his job soon as I worry about it being too physical for him (although he gets mad cos he is only 54) so right now I am going to shut up about it for a while and enjoy the free copper :)

ps_bond
24-11-2009, 11:19 AM
My sources for plumbing copper are offcuts from jobs I've been doing, old stuff ripped out during replumbing - and I have colleagues who donate bits & pieces from time to time. So... Net cost is basically zero. Bear in mind a 6" length of pipe is naff-all use for subsequent jobs! Mind you, I'm in the process of teaching another colleague how to reshape one as a venturi for his biodiesel reactor, so that's another use for short lengths.

I have 5 grades around at the moment - untouched thicker sheet (bought form stockholders), pipe & cylinders that haven't been reformed yet, a bucket with small usable bits, another bucket with bits even I can't think of much use for and a 3rd bucket with the solder-contaminated pipe fittings. Keeping that separate should theoretically make for a better price when I do dump the scrap.

I was amused to see an EBay listing the other week with someone selling copper sheet that had been reclaimed from pipe...

shelliem
24-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Peter

My Dad asked me what size lengths to cut the pipe too so that I can use it (he is going to saw it first in to smaller pieces so that I can store it easier at home )but I wasn't really sure what to suggest what sort of length would you suggest?

ps_bond
24-11-2009, 12:00 PM
As with everything, "it depends". 6" is not a bad size - opening out much more than that can be a pain. Sometimes longer bits are handy though - you can make them shorter, sticking them back together isn't quite so easy.

shelliem
24-11-2009, 06:27 PM
I did think sticking them back together would be more difficult. I'm a total novice at the moment so will request six inch tubes for now - don't want to make my life too complicated!

Thanks for your response.