PDA

View Full Version : Would I be an idiot.........

lesley
15-07-2010, 03:49 PM
........to say no to a gallery that wants more pieces from me?

It won't be many pieces. The commission is 50% so it was always more of a kudos thing than a money making thing. I'd like to say, "no, not now but in a couple of months" (when I've practised my soldering skills and come up with new designs) but I know they need to plan ahead, so that won't work. They need to know asap but I'm dithering - can you tell? :)

I'm off to have a look at what I think might be suitable.

caroleallen
15-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Are they wanting to do SOR or wholesale Lesley?

lesley
15-07-2010, 04:07 PM
SOR. And there's no budging on the percentage. It's the same for everyone - painters, sculptors etc.

caroleallen
15-07-2010, 05:05 PM
I think it depends on the sort of gallery. If you know it's a good one, I'd go ahead. I've been asked by loads of museum-type galleries to "submit work for an exhibition" and I went with a couple but they were rubbish, so I've had my stuff back. On the other hand, I do SOR with a local gallery who sell so much that I have to re-stock every month.

lesley
15-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks, Carole. I'm going to contact them and arrange to take some new stuff in. It's in Harrogate, in an area with other "nice" shops and galleries. I'm feeling in an inbetweeny stage at the moment which is what makes me unsure. I'm not just wirework any more but I'm not really anything else yet. :confused:

caroleallen
15-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Well they obviously like your work enough to want it, so I'd give it a go. You can always take your work away if it doesn't work out.

lesley
15-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I hate all this though - I'm not a saleman and I'm too shy. Online is so much easier!
I'd better get my polishing finger out. :)

caroleallen
15-07-2010, 06:27 PM
I know what you mean Lesley. I used to hate touting my stuff around galleries. I always felt sick and my knees turned to jelly in case they said no. But it's different if they ask you. It does get easier as time goes on. Go for it girl! :)

Shaun750
15-07-2010, 10:22 PM
I would say is there a profit in it for you? The gallery are making half the cost if i understand right? So they need you, other wise they've got nothing to sell.
After a few years in business I have no trouble in saying no to anyone.

lesley
16-07-2010, 08:34 PM
I have to say, not much profit.

I like your attitude, Shaun. For me, the "They want me!" feeling is a novelty I just can't ignore........yet. :D My bag of swag is ready and I'm going in tomorrow afternoon.

caroleallen
16-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Good luck. Take some Rescue Remedy if you feel wobbly and remember to breath. (I'm sounding just like my mother - sorry!)

kymbi
16-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Oh well done Lesley, you've got more bottle than I have - hope it goes well for you tomorrow :)

Ominicci
17-07-2010, 06:35 PM
That is great news Lesley - how did it go??

lesley
17-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Well, I did it.

I took 30 pieces and she would have had the lot! I kept it down to 12 for now. They're having a bit of a re-jig of the gallery and the online shop so I'll go back in a couple of weeks to see the pieces on display. Had an attack of jelly legs and the armpit waterfalls before going in .........but it was actually very enjoyable. I'm so glad I went as it gave me a much needed boost, especially as she was so positive and encouraging.

I'm now totally ottered after having spent several hours fighting with Mr Site - trying to take things off sale and alter prices. I think my eyes are pixelated. :)

Thanks for the support.

caroleallen
17-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Brilliant news. Hope they sell well for you.

kymbi
17-07-2010, 08:41 PM
That is excellent news Lesley and such a confidence boost - well done for taking the plunge, it must have been nerve-racking....got any fingernails left? ;) Fingers crossed that they do a great display and your lovely pieces sell. Please keep us up to date with how you get on x

DragonflyLynne
17-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Well done Lesley, that's great news and very well deserved :)

lesley
17-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Thank you ladies. :)

Kym, I never have any fingernails - which is a strollop when trying to get the sticky labels off fruit.

Oh, and I even managed to mention the Guild. The owner thinks that some of the other jewellery exhibitors would be really interested. I thought I'd better check with her before contacting them though.

MuranoSilver
18-07-2010, 07:55 AM
*snoopy dance* I'm so glad that your work was so successful
(not that I had any doubt about that at ALL!)

Nic xx

lorraineflee
18-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Well one Lesley, let us know how the pieces go won't you!
Lorraine

lesley
18-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks, Nic and Lorraine.

Ha ha, it's a long time since I've seen a "snoopy dance" - that made me smile!

Petal
18-07-2010, 02:40 PM
That's such wonderful news Lesley and a real confidence boost. Now you can get practicing on new techniques and maybe get some of your new pieces into the gallery in time for Christmas!

lesley
18-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks xx.

But, Jules, did you really say C********!! Even the shops aren't allowed to do that until August. [-X

Shaun750
18-07-2010, 08:02 PM
If you feel comfortable with making the decision then it's probably the right thing to do.
I'd say the fact that you've confronted your fears was worth it, even of you don't sell anything,there is no course you can attend, or book you can read to learn to overcome your emotions.It's a baptism of fire.
Feel the fear,and do it anyway.
It takes about two years to get used to it, then after a while it's actually enjoyable.

lesley
18-07-2010, 08:18 PM
It takes about two years to get used to it, then after a while it's actually enjoyable.

OK, whatever you say. :D

I'm not a regular fear feeler so, you're right, it was a good thing to do.

Petal
18-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks xx.

But, Jules, did you really say C********!! Even the shops aren't allowed to do that until August. [-X

Oh I know... I did say the 'C' word and I'm the one that mutters '......ing Christmas decorations - in September, they are mad'! When I was a lass, we put the decs up on Christmas Eve and not before'.:-"

Even the Santa smileys from last year are still available to post.

Ominicci
19-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Well done Lesley!!!

Bad girl Jules - 'C word' not allowed yet!!