PDA

View Full Version : Non geared versus geared rolling mill

stu_clouds
11-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi,

simple question, is there anyone who has used both types of rolling mill? if so can you comment on how much quicker and easier it is using a geared one, i am considering purchasing one as im fed up of taking forever to roll with my mini mill.

regards

Stuart

Dennis
11-07-2010, 09:29 PM
You will never regret getting one with reduction gears, Stu. I attend a class where we had both for a while. Then the direct drive one was disgarded as no one used it. Because I have nowhere to fix it, my own geared one is bolted to an extra thick board with six large doorstops for feet. It is on my worktop, but can be moved out of the way after use. You could compare it to bikes with and without gears. You might have to live on cornflakes for a month, but its all in the cause of art. Kind regards, Dennis.

Shaun750
11-07-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't see what the fuss is about,I did buy a gear ratio motor to fix to my mills so it would be electric,but never bothered.
Just dont turn them down to much each time, and when it starts getting hard it's time to anneal. There's a slight knack to where you have the handle when you start to turn as well i think,but i do it without realizing.
At one time it was the only exercise i used to get.

andrew_berry
12-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Never buy cheap rolling mills!

I bought a set of Durston mills 23 years ago. They were £450 then.

I still use them today and they have saved me thousands of pounds over the years.

Andrew

stu_clouds
12-07-2010, 08:56 AM
thanks for your comments everyone, i already have a non geared durston mill just think it would save alot of time going for the geared one. Time is money and all that.

Thanks

Stu

MuranoSilver
12-07-2010, 01:36 PM
You could always Sell your other - Durston Mills always seem to get good prices :)

Lucy
12-07-2010, 10:12 PM
And the Durstons look so damned cool!