PDA

View Full Version : tension setting commission anyone?

Jodie
11-07-2010, 08:25 PM
I have been asked by a friend of my husband make a ring for his daughter. She really wants a tension setting which is beyond my capabilities at the moment, so I am going to have to decline the commission. I'd like to be able to suggest a few folk she could contact that may be able to take it on when I tell her I won't be able to do it. So if anyone out there is interested please can you let me know how she could contact you, especially if you are in the Bristol area.

Thanks

MuranoSilver
12-07-2010, 06:04 AM
Firstly you may want to ask how old his daugter is and if it's an everday ring he's after.
I'm sure there are some tension sets that last a lifetime but from experience in the shop
the average 14 - 20 year old will love their rings to death (literally!)
I've reshaped some pretty thick bands that have been deformed by hocky playing, falling over repeatedly on nights out etc etc.
If she's an "active" person a full tension set might not be the best idea...

An alternative might be an "illusion tension set" looks like a tension set from the top but there's a metal
support underneath that helps keep the two edges holding the stone in place. My hubby bought me a
tension set engagement ring and I lost the stone within weeks and the second then went wobbly a few weeks later
we had the whole ring remade to a full rubover (what I said I'd like in the first place, lol)

Just a thought & sorry I can't help if he does want a tension set ~ I won't sell them
as they often end up being boomerang rings ;)
Nic x

andrew_berry
12-07-2010, 06:44 AM
As Nic says, we have made up several 'tension' set bands but we have soldered a jumpring beneath the stone to join the ring together.

The ring is not visible from the top of the ring. The stone is set in the same way but the jumpring offers a lot more security.

Andrew