PDA

View Full Version : my oh my what did I do wrong??

rainbow
10-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I've watched tutorials and asked question so this evening I got all my stuff ready as suggested and sat down to have another go with my recently purchased slow dry 650 silver clay. However is was a complete disaster! I noticed straight away as I opened the packet that alot of the clay seems to be stuck to the inner film. Now I've read a thread about this happening so I tidied up and had a quick squeeze and the lump itself was crack and felt dry. So i popped some water on it as per tutorials and folded it in on itself but all I seem to have manged to do was make a huge mess on my fingers! I attempted to roll it but it was sticky but cracked at the same time?!??? So I gave up and wrapped it in clingfilm with a dab of water to try again when braver! What did I do wrong? Any suggestions please?
Could it be because it's very hot here and I was working in a breeze from the french doors???#-o
Thanks ;-(

MuranoSilver
10-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Silver clay is 90% silver with 10% cellulose type binder (think "paper" and you're close enough)
All the "smoosh" is held together mainly with water.
It drys quickly and gets sticky quickly, hot rooms and breezes do not a happy silver clay make.
Close up the clingfilm in and put it in the zip lock packet it came in with some moist kitchen towel.
Leave it overnight to absorb the water you added then try again when it's a little cooler.

In summer I normally work at night when the rooms cooled down -
Nic x

rainbow
11-07-2010, 11:42 AM
ahh so it's not me! I was wondering what on earth I did! Now the weather I can cope with, that I messed up would have had that little voice in my head screaming i'm just not good enough. I have already done most of your suggestion apart from the kitchen towel which I shall do now, thanks and sorry for being a pain ;-)

Di Sandland
11-07-2010, 11:44 AM
It's def not you sweetie. My one 'play' with pmc (I used ArtClay) was my last. It needs some finesse to use properly - I'm more of a hammer and torch girl meself...

rainbow
11-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Actually Di truth be told a hammer and a touch is more my style but it's funds to set up and space. I love playing with clay but I love hammers even more LOL. I shall try again when it's cooler and I have my "area" that i've decided to steal set up so there is no breeze. See now i'm sitting here dreaming of banging the granny out of something, time to go do the washing up!