PDA

View Full Version : Anubis ~ Work in Progress

MuranoSilver
07-07-2010, 07:17 AM
I know you've had a sneaky peek in the muse thread but I thought you might like to see him after firing too :)
This is how he started:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2619/3925726793_9772259a91.jpg
and this is him after his second firing (more shrinkage gaps still to fill and base to make)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4770774362_b40cba936a.jpg
Really pleased with the progress so far :">
Nic xx
(more pics on Flickr in the "Works in Progress" folder)

snow_imp
07-07-2010, 07:51 AM
I love all things egyptian so I find your Anubis figure inspiring. He looks great so far, can't wait to see him when he's finished.

MuranoSilver
07-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks Anne :)
I love Egyptian, African, Maori and Aztec designs (in fact most early / tribal cultures inspire me)
Nic xx

FVT
07-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Wow, he's amazing! How big is he? And how much clay did you need to do that?! :-O

F.x.

MuranoSilver
07-07-2010, 10:41 AM
He's currently just under 12cms tall and weighs 151g
(yes that's a lot of clay!)
Nic x

rainbow
07-07-2010, 02:20 PM
I see you have a kitten, have you ever thought of a Bast figure?

MuranoSilver
07-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Maybe I'll make a set but not for a while -this is a definate labour of love, lol

Dennis
07-07-2010, 04:39 PM
He's got a friendly face, Nic. Dennis.

MuranoSilver
08-07-2010, 01:59 PM
A friendly face for the "weigher of souls" is probably a good thing, :rofl:
Nic xx

Dennis
08-07-2010, 06:44 PM
My teacher once said to me: 'When you look at someone's work you are looking into their soul'. So I guess this Jackal-God is also the patron of applied art. Dennis.

caroleallen
08-07-2010, 07:44 PM
He's currently just under 12cms tall and weighs 151g
(yes that's a lot of clay!)
Nic x
You say that like you expect him to grow! He's really lovely Nic.

Joe
08-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Having sneeked through your flikr gallery and watched him develop, "Grow" is the right word! I predict an odd relationship with this piece!!

MuranoSilver
09-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Lol - he IS going to grow as he's got to have a base made next.
I'm going to have to be careful with that one though as otherwise I wont be able to fit him and base into me kiln ;)
Joe - I am rather fond of the piece but (as a married lady) I can't see any meaningful relationship developing :rofl:
Nic xx

Joe
09-07-2010, 05:19 PM
:rolleyes: Poor man! First it's "just an Egyptian deity" , but before long it's "Could you wear this jackal mask?"... It's an age-old story...

Don't say that about the kiln - now I'll have to save-up for the SC3!

Lucy
09-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Very cool! you probably could have bought a new kiln though with the amount of silver you're using :)

MuranoSilver
10-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Joe ~ I'm so glad I put my Tea down before I read your post.....could've been a nasty incident there!
Having said that he'd look quite cute in this....
http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_430xN.71393794.jpg
Maybe I should contact Merimask (http://www.etsy.com/shop/Merimask) onEtsy ;)
She's very talented! (I think I prefer her Fire Dragon (http://www.etsy.com/listing/45413166/fire-dragonhandmade-custom-leather-mask)though)

Lucy ~ I've got three kilns already so more would just be greedy, lol
Nic xx

Joe
10-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Ooooooo, lovely masks... I just love the flames on the fire-dragon... I've done something a bit like that for hair on one brooch, but fire would be brilliant... now I'm thinking of a devil to go with my cupid... wonder how much red gold I can afford..?

This forum is a brilliant place to generate ideas!

Lucy
10-07-2010, 04:16 PM
ha ha nic! I'll have to tell the hubby that - he thinks on is too much :)

FiredSilver
12-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Nic he's looking great. I am NOT doing this project for Level 1!!!! It scares the life out of me LOL!

Becci
x

MuranoSilver
24-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Still working on him - but here's how he is at the moment :)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4825351986_eb2eecf7e8.jpg
Nic xx

caroleallen
25-07-2010, 08:49 AM
He is gorgeous. I love how you've blackened some bits and polished others. He must be quite valuable too.

snow_imp
25-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Gorgeous!!!!

lesley
25-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Wow, he's amazing! I can't help thinking Morph to marvellous. :) Hope that's not offensive because I can appreciate the amount of work involved. What are his long term plans?

Joe
25-07-2010, 01:12 PM
That's gorgeous colouring over such a big piece! He's probably the most beautiful (and valuable) anubis that's been made for thousands of years!

jille
25-07-2010, 02:58 PM
amazing work, i have enjoyed watching his progress
Jill

Ominicci
25-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Wow Nic he is lovely! Like Carole I like the oxidisation, it makes him look more ancient.

Dennis
25-07-2010, 09:14 PM
That's one smart Jackal God Nic, I reckon he's a masterpiece. Dennis.

Shaun750
26-07-2010, 07:22 PM
I've got no patience, or ability to do anything like that,great skill.
You could have carved it in wax and had it cast?,then had a rubber made.Then made it as a jewellery line?Always trying to think of a way to make money(nothing has worked yet?)
I think of stargate(sci fi movie) when i see those,instead of thinking ancient Egypt.

MuranoSilver
27-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Sorry I haven't been around I'm in the states at the PMC World conference and very much enjoying myself
Just popped in and saw all these wonderful comments!

He is gorgeous. I love how you've blackened some bits and polished others. He must be quite valuable too.
I blackened some areas following some historical research, Anubis as "Lord of the Underworld" was often portrayed that way as the colour was associated with death....(eek) Also thought it looked cool ;)

Gorgeous!!!!
Thank you!

Wow, he's amazing! I can't help thinking Morph to marvellous. :) Hope that's not offensive because I can appreciate the amount of work involved. What are his long term plans?
Not at all offended & I'm glad you enjoyed seeing his transformation from "Morph", lol Haven't decided on his long term plans yeet as I still have to decide on a base (he's currently stuck in a rubber bench block). Will probably sell him....

That's gorgeous colouring over such a big piece! He's probably the most beautiful (and valuable) anubis that's been made for thousands of years!
Lol - I'm sure there are loads more valuable but I loved making him and want to make another....maybe Bast

amazing work, i have enjoyed watching his progress
Jill
Thanks Jill - there's still more to come as I'm going to do a base and a little more finishing too :)

Wow Nic he is lovely! Like Carole I like the oxidisation, it makes him look more ancient.
I'm really glad I went with the oxidisation too (when I do it properly it's going to be a lot of polishing though!)

That's one smart Jackal God Nic, I reckon he's a masterpiece. Dennis.
I'm making him for the Masters Registry of metal clay artists (one of 10 projects) so I guess that counts, lol
Really pleased with the way he's turned out, definately think he's got me to up my game....

I've got no patience, or ability to do anything like that,great skill.
You could have carved it in wax and had it cast?,then had a rubber made.Then made it as a jewellery line?Always trying to think of a way to make money(nothing has worked yet?)
I think of stargate(sci fi movie) when i see those,instead of thinking ancient Egypt.
It's for the metal clay Masters Registry (hence the choice of material) I don't think even puff daddy would wear something as big as this :D
(I love Stargate)

Nic xx