PDA

View Full Version : A quick hello from At The Bench

andrew_berry
05-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Hi everyone.

My name is Andrew Berry, a professional jeweller for over 22 years. I have many online ecommerce websites and have recently launched www . AtTheBench . com a Jewellery Making On-Line and Training website for Jewellers

I write a monthly page for Making Jewellery magazine, yes, I am the "Naked Jeweller" . I also write projects for the magazine too and recently for Make Jewellery magazine too.

Its good to see plenty of friendly names on here too.

I would love to help anyone who has a question so I will be popping by daily.

Take care.

Andrew

MuranoSilver
05-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Lol - love the fact that we've now got a "naked jeweller"
I prefer a bench apron myself (ouch!)
Nic x

andrew_berry
05-07-2010, 05:05 PM
I do keep my apron on. Even in the photos. LOL

Wendy Moriarty
05-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Hi Andrew
I am completely new to jewellery making with no training, and was struggling with soldering until I saw your tutorial, the fact that you described it as complicated or complex made me feel much less of a failiure and I am slowly having more and more success with soldering. so thanks very much. I have since done 1 day pmc course and am hoping to do a day silversmithing course, the only one I've found in Cheshire. I have also had lots of help of the forum, I did think I was stupid not being able to grasp something as simple as soldering at first so your video encouraged me and made me realise it's not a simple procedure, thanks again
Wendy

Emerald
05-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Wendy i dont think anyone on here would call you stupid for not being able to solder the first time round, as with any element of jewellery making it takes practice and time

andrew_berry
05-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks Wendy.

You are not alone. I have received time and time again from fellow jewellery making enthusiasts exactly what you have written.

This is why I spent the past year conceiving the idea that has finally become AtTheBench.com.

Any further help I can offer, just ask.

disorganised
06-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi Andrew - you (inadvertently) taught me to solder too!

I've been having a look round AtTheBench as a freeview member (looks great - need to learn lampworking now!), and I was wondering how often new content would be added? Eg - are you committing to, say 10 new video tutorials per month or are you just waiting to see how it goes? I would be very interested in an annual subscription, but it would be good to know in advance how much new stuff would be added and how often.

cheers

Claire

andrew_berry
06-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Hi Claire

We are adding 3 videos every week with a FreeView every other week. Plus in addittion there are bonus videos and tutorials added in the middle of the week too. These videos are by other leading craftsmen and women in their field of expertise so the variety of media and topics is going to be vast.

We currently have 85 videos waiting to go live and have the next two years planned already.

I knew the site would be a success due to the response I have had from the DVD's we produce and sell and the comments made by our YouTube subscribers.

The site has been live for just under 2 weeks now and we just gained the backing of a major sponsor so we have exciting plans for the future.

Also we have booked 'stands' at several major bead and jewellery fairs around the country for next year where we will be launching several new projects too. This will be a chance for everyone to come and meet the At The Bench masters and actually see them in action.

We also want our members to be part of the site too. So if you dont see a topic or a particular film that meets your needs, then just let us know and will will film one for you.

Got an idea, any hints or tips that you have come accross? Just let us know and will broadcast it to all the At The Bench members. The best one each month will recieve a special gift.

So as you can see, we are totally committed to At The Bench and its future is looking really exciting.

Sorry to go on a bit but as you can tell we are all realy excited about all the plans we have for AtTheBench.com

Andrew

disorganised
06-07-2010, 07:50 PM
ok - sold!

snow_imp
07-07-2010, 07:53 AM
I really wish I had a spare £99 - but I don't right now. Time to start saving for yet another thing <sigh>

andrew_berry
07-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Why not just become a monthly member? If you then choose to subscribe for a year I will offer it at a discount for you.

An offer you simply can not refuse!

Andrew

snow_imp
07-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Why not just become a monthly member? If you then choose to subscribe for a year I will offer it at a discount for you.

An offer you simply can not refuse!

Andrew

Thanks for the offer Andrew.

I'm in the middle of sorting out a new monthly budget to deal with suddenly higher bills (thanks mister gas supplier) and when that's done I might have the spare income to manage a tiny £12.99 for a few months so I'll let you know.

Isn't it wonderful that although salaries aren't actually rising (not at my place of work anyway) that utility bills etc are still going up rapidly. :)

andrew_berry
07-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Sometimes you feel that you are sinking whilst shopping, utility bills are rising.

That is why we made AtTheBench affordable.

Friends of mine said that I should charge double what I am now. We thought about it long and hard and realised that our market would not be able to afford it.

I would rather reach out and help many rather than only a few.

Andrew

wheely
07-07-2010, 11:35 PM
£12.99 pm is a bit steep, in my opinion. Please don't take this the wrong way as no offence would ever be meant, but it's a site with a few tutorial vids on it - albeit big names in their field. Am I missing something...?

andrew_berry
08-07-2010, 07:43 AM
No offence.

But have you joined up as a Free View member to see what the site has to offer?

We have over 60 films live on the site with at least 3 going live every week.

There are 85 new films waiting to go live too.

You have a say over the content too by suggesting films and topics for us to film. this isn't YouTube. You have an influence on the content. There are no films showing impossible projects or using tools that are too expensive for most of us to buy. Although we have a fully equipped modern workshop, whats the point in showing someone how to laser weld when this type of equipment is so expensive.

Over 24 gb (yes, gigabyte) of films have already been looked at this month, we must doing something right!

Andrew

MuranoSilver
08-07-2010, 07:47 AM
And bandwidth isnt cheap ;)
(I've joined as a freeview member but will be joining the subs when I get back from Purdue)
Nicx