PDA

View Full Version : Where did you all start?

rainbow
05-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I was wondering did you all just dabble and make mistakes as you go as this i fear could work out a very expensive way to go or would you recommend saving up and going on a course?
Thank you :)

Di Sandland
05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
It all depends on your learning style, Rainbow. For me courses are anathaema because I hate to make an idiot of myself in public. I have learned from online friends and books and, ever so slowly, I am progressing. It has to be said that I've produced a lot of scrap along the way, but, for me, this is the way to learn.20642065http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/images/misc/pencil.png

snow_imp
05-07-2010, 01:56 PM
I've done one silver smithing course with the local (at the time) adult education centre - great tools, but the teacher was a bit swamped trying to keep up with differing levels of ability as they ran a "beginners and continuers" course - I learnt some things but felt it was a bit of a let down. I'd love to get back into actual bashing of metal etc but haven't the nerve right now - or the tools yet.

I've also done a beads and wire course - still using the skills from that a lot. I've also read a lot of books to learn some new techniques, and this forum has provided a load of inspiration and knowledge (if only I knew how to apply it).

Recently moved into PMC - had a course with our very own MuranoSilver (Nic) and loved it - but haven't the confidence to play too much really 'cos of the cost involved - saying that, I can throw mistakes in the scrap pot and maybe use them one day. I've got another course with Nic booked 'cos I'm really a 'need to see and be given advice at the time' kind of learner.

Depends how you want to learn I guess, as Di said.

MuranoSilver
05-07-2010, 02:07 PM
I started making my own little fimo (polymer clay) creations at the tender age of 16
them many years of dabbling before going on lots of intensive courses and openeing a shop.
Now I make jewellery every day and Love what I do for a living. :)

Still take courses all the time as I find it's the best way for me to learn
Nic x

YloG
05-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Well, I am a dental technician. So working with precious metals is something i do all day, the leap was not that big for me. But reading a lot did it for me, researching which books to read is a very good idea... some are really bad quality. You can practice with copper, thats not so expensive...but if you want to get all the tools at one time it will be a bit tho...

Anton

rainbow
05-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Thats all really interesting. I looked into the copper and brass route but you need a special kiln for the charcoal and all that jazz and two sets of each tool so i've decided against that. I've been playing with the kids Fimo LOL infact made a bunch of roses for my son to put on his stall at school for their sale day. Oh and the daisy's hundreds of fimo daisy's LOL. I've done a wire course before but i find i'm drawn to big chunky stuff and simply can't bend the wire as I suffer with carpal tunnels if I too too much hard bending with my hands. Clay really appeals as it's so gentle to use (if that makes any sense).I'm trying to scale down all the ideas in my head as like I say i'm drawn to big and chunky but the funds wont allow ;-) one day eh, love the idea of your own shop, how cool is that!

andrew_berry
05-07-2010, 04:49 PM
I would recommend courses in basic silversmithing skills as a fab way of seeing if you like it.

There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube to show you example of how jewellery making is carried out. But getting your hands dirty is the best way to learn any new medium.

Wendy Moriarty
05-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi rainbow
Ive just started making jewellery in Silver and silver pmc, I got a book and watched some tutorials and had a go, then I did a 1 day pmc course whch I loved and am now hooked. I'm still practising with sterling as well, soldering jump rings and catches, making snake chain charm bracelets, pendants on chains and laces, piercing (which for me involves lots of filing to get correct neat shape) I've bought as many basic tools as I can afford, and am adding to them, I got some fine files at a car boot for 10 and 20p and we had some tools about the house as my husband makes guitars, I'm also hoping to do a 1 day silversmithing course which is £110 and the only one I have found in Cheshire, I'm hoping that course will give me the confidence and skill to do a bit more. Books are great I got one for £8 it's called 'JEWLLERY MAKING a complete course for beginers' by Jinks McGrath and it has step by step instructions, a list of basic needed tools, melting points and pracitce projects and loads of other stuff, I would reccomend it. I went straight on to silver as I am allergic to metal and want to be able to wear some of my jewellery. I have already sold some of the things I have made to friends and neighbours, and had good feedback and orders for more.
Good luck and hope this helps :-) Wendy

Shaun750
05-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Oh damn I just realized.
I started doing metal work(cos that what jewellery making is) in my Dads shed,did a few things and then got a job in hatton garden and then my own business.
I'm back in the shed!!!

caroleallen
06-07-2010, 08:03 AM
I did adult ed classes for years before I started to get a few tools together. I did a Christmas show and to my surprise people actually bought my stuff. I cringe though when I look back at the standard of stuff I was selling.

Since then I've done loads of classes in various places and now I teach in my own studio. The thing I love about jewellery is that there's always more to learn and I don't think I'll ever get to the end of my list.

Polly
06-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Hi Rainbow

I started a few years ago when I went along to an taster evening class with a friend (I went really to 'hold her hand') and loved the course from the first demonstration and hands on practical. My friend felt it wasn't for her but I stayed on and wanted to learn more. I found a website which was co-incidently by Andrew Berry which looked liked the kinda place to get loads of info from but I was unable to register. I remember emailing a couple of times to Andrew but got no response. As the website didn't seem as if it was being updated I gave that up and found the cookies forum which was absolutely brilliant! I think it had just about started and there was loads of quality information and exchange of experiences - it was just what I needed at the time. Books have been useful resources and I've since been to a couple of other courses. I've only made stuff for myself and to give as presents and is very much a hobby that I love.

rainbow
06-07-2010, 03:19 PM
I find it facinating the rang of people and levels but everyone seems so open and helpful. I now have a notebook which i jot ideas down in and sketches so when I can afford another lump (hopefully next week) i'll have lots of stuff to work with. I tend to try to run before I can walk but my head is buzzing with ideas LOL. I was lucky to get a kit off a lovely lady from ebay. used but there is no way I could have got everything in it from a shop. Even got a tiny weeny kiln! I have a book from the kit too metal magic which is lovely but i'll look up the other book mentioned as i'm a great believer in you can never have too many books! Thanks for all your stories, it's lovely to hear them. Hope everyone is having a great day!

Di Sandland
06-07-2010, 05:00 PM
I think trying to run before you can properly walk is a terrific way to learn - it means you are always striving to be that little bit better

lesley
06-07-2010, 06:12 PM
I bought a magazine, fiddled a bit, joined a forum and asked lots of dum duck questions, then went off and did my own thing with wire.

I can see that silversmithing is going to be a different matter. I've got some books, and read all the hints and tips, but I think there's going to be a lot of trial and error.........and running and hopping and walking. I'd like some one-to-one tuition but would feel lost in a big class.

rainbow
07-07-2010, 02:24 PM
I love the idea of doing a course but simply don't have the funds. Am biting said bullet and putting together and order and just hope I don't make too big a hash of it LOL Fingers crossed

Viverre
07-07-2010, 07:02 PM
I started with seed beads when I was 13 years old. I made lots of friendship bracelets and sold some to my friends - hilarious when I look at some of those pieces now... so lame...! In 2008 I took a course at Edinburgh College of Art and that gave me the basics. From there I've learnt everything else from youtube and books.

andrew_berry
07-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Oh Yeh,

I forgot.

I made Fimo jewellery whilst I was in Uni to subsidise my grant.

So I guess I was bitten by the bug then.

Andrew

wheely
08-07-2010, 12:00 AM
I started it a few years ago, in a place you wouldn't think of - a resource center for the disabled (I'm wheelchair bound, hence the name). I saw lots of shiny things others had made and wanted a go myself. My tutor was fantastic and before long I was making things way beyond the reach of anyone else in the class - his words not mine I hasten to add. That center has since closed but I still work with that tutor once a week, and I also co-run my own resource centre and helped establish silver work there, using both sheet and PMC. I have a fair few tools and like to do some at home as I find it quite theraputic, especially piercing. The strength in my arms and hands has also improved, as has my coordination and manual dexterity - bonus!

jille
08-07-2010, 06:38 AM
I have just evolved over the years, as a kid I love painting, drawing and handicrafts. When i left work to have a family ( you can tell that was over 30 years ago) i designed and sold knitwear , I did City & Guilds, started writing knitting patterns for mags, and became totally hooked on design, which lead me to pick up the paints again. Because i enjoyed painting i decided to go to a china painting class, then another C&G course. Once I got a kiln I started dabbling with glass, i made a lot of dichroic pendants but I wanted to learn how to set them in a bezel and make bangles rings etc so I took a few 3 day courses.
That's where I'm at right now
Jill

rainbow
08-07-2010, 01:31 PM
lovely pics by the way Di

rainbow
08-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Wheely, it's sad that so many of these resource centres have gone. I'm trying to get onto a free pottery course for Dad's in August because my husband is registered blind so therefore can't go with the kids but it's not easy. The version open to mum's you can only take one kiddie. I tempted to let the old man and his guide dog go and let them deal with the chaos LOL. Just thinking while I type (not something i do often) i wonder if thats why i'm so into the idea of textured large pieces. Okay I can't afford the materials at the moment but one day, so he can get some kind of idea what i'm on about hmmm didn't think of that!

Di Sandland
08-07-2010, 02:01 PM
without wishing to sound flippant about the things you're fighting - both Rainbow and Wheely - it has always seemed to me that coming up against adversity adds something to the creative process. Sometimes it takes something bad happening before a person realises their creative potential. I used to hold workshops for therapeutic writing and initially most folk who came thought they couldn't write - every single one of them found their 'voice.' I think a similar thing happens with the visual arts - and you're right Rainbow, adding texture to your visual pieces makes them accessible to the blind and visually impaired. Ain't that just wonderful?

Kwant
08-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I started back in March, having never tried anything like making jewellery before. I watched and still do, lots of tutorials on youtube and ganoksin, read through many posts here and elsehwere. I love using silver and have to date made over 60 pieces. The day before yesterday I took the plunge and put up a few things for sale on Etsy ( KwantEssentials.etsy.com if you want to have a look , nothing very special but lol there is only so much I can give to family and friends, they are beginning to call me Duc D'Elizabetta :0 ) having been encouraged by some kind folks here and friends and family to give it a go. I hope to continue making things, trying new techniques and enjoying myself while doing it.

Di Sandland
08-07-2010, 05:37 PM
they are beginning to call me Duc D'Elizabetta :

pmsl - that has been mentioned before about some of us. T

Lindyloo
08-07-2010, 07:10 PM
I did adult ed classes for years before I started to get a few tools together. I did a Christmas show and to my surprise people actually bought my stuff. I cringe though when I look back at the standard of stuff I was selling.

Since then I've done loads of classes in various places and now I teach in my own studio. The thing I love about jewellery is that there's always more to learn and I don't think I'll ever get to the end of my list.

I find your story heartening, Carole, as I have learnt at adult ed classes too. What was your first Christmas show?

Cathy at the Beach
09-07-2010, 01:42 AM
How interesting. I thought I was the only one around with no formal training. I learned from the internet- forums- you tube and Ganoskin. I started out making lampwork beads and naturally progressed to sheet silver. I am pretty unconventional- my tools are mostly from the hardware store- I use a plumbers torch for soldering- I Have a creme brullee torch for fine soldering, hardware store hammers and pliers and a dremel (purchased- where else? a hardware store). I Have spent a minimum of money. I do have a good collection of setting burrs, drills, ring bending pliers and a tube cutting jig though. I guess I kinda fly by the seat of my pants. I am taking a course starting next week on setting. I am bloody determined to learn flush setting although I'm wonder if it may be impossible. I have had no success so far with it. Oh...I did take one course that was amazing- a tool making course. I made a great variety of burnishers and tools for setting bezels and tube setting.

lesley
09-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Now, that is a skill I'd like - making your own tools!

caroleallen
09-07-2010, 10:34 AM
I find your story heartening, Carole, as I have learnt at adult ed classes too. What was your first Christmas show?

Thanks Linda. It was just a local show, but quite a big one to start with. Unfortunately those shows aren't what they were and I have to travel further afield now.

The thing everyone who's starting out now should remember though is that the way I did it, ie building up slowly, takes years of really hard work and it's very difficult if you live in the sticks to get yourself noticed out of your area. I was lucky as my husband was earning good money at the time and was able to support me. He's now taken early retirement and I'm supporting him!

jille
09-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Carole I enjoyed reading your post, my husband supports me , he is hoping to retire in a couple of years and I'd like to think by then I can do more than buy him the odd curry. Whenever i ask about buying tools or courses he walays says "do it now before i retire", how lucky am i, i hope i can do the same for him when he's looking for a hobby
Jill

rainbow
09-07-2010, 08:37 PM
My husband is very supportive too. His mum is an artist but she was a teacher until she retired and never gave much time to her creative side until she was much older. maybe thats why he's so supportive. maybe it's because he feels there is so much we don't do but whatever the reason i'm very grateful for having him around. the kids too are very very supportive. LOL the little one tends to tell me everything is fabulous even before he's seen it ;-) He says when he makes his first million he's going to buy all my stuff LMAO! Thank you for all your posts it's really really nice to read about everyone and to see how many haven't gone the formal education route. Hope you're not all melting too much!

Lucy
09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
I started with beading for years and then bought some tools, tried a bit myself, took a local class (which really was a waste of time as there was no one on one time and as mentioned before so many levels in one class).

18 months ago, I took a three month class with Jewelry Schools : New Approach School for Jewelers (http://www.newapproachschool.com), then about 8 months ago I got myself an apprenticeship for 2 months (unpaid) and then got hired 3 days a week working for one of the best jewelers in NYC. I have taken a few technique specific classes too such as Mokume Gane too which I do because I just love learning new stuff :)

My personal opinion (if money is not an issue), is if you have the right attitude and the desire to grow quickly, intensive classes (with the right teachers of course) are the quickest route to reasonable level of competance. But classes with good teachers don't come cheap unfortunately. If classes aren't an option, go for an apprenticeship and work for someone (someone great though, not just any random jeweler) for free for a while - you'll be amazed how much you learn!

Di Sandland
10-07-2010, 08:20 AM
I forgot to add that, about a year ago now, I formally asked a designer/maker whose work I admire to be my mentor. That person agreed and has been a huge fund of knowledge and wisdom, pushing me to try new things and helping me to learn from my mistakes. That has been the best 'training' style for me - an experienced, knowledgeable adjunct to the books and the forums and somebody I trust to witness my (many) errors without making me feel an idiot.

caroleallen
10-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Carole I enjoyed reading your post, my husband supports me , he is hoping to retire in a couple of years and I'd like to think by then I can do more than buy him the odd curry. Whenever i ask about buying tools or courses he walays says "do it now before i retire", how lucky am i, i hope i can do the same for him when he's looking for a hobby
Jill

What would we do without em eh? Mine feels a bit like a spare part now he's retired. I keep telling him though that I couldn't do it without him. He does all the posting and keeping on top of paperwork. He also cooks all the meals, shopping, laundry etc. He's one in a million!

rainbow
10-07-2010, 04:39 PM
I forgot to add that, about a year ago now, I formally asked a designer/maker whose work I admire to be my mentor. That person agreed and has been a huge fund of knowledge and wisdom, pushing me to try new things and helping me to learn from my mistakes. That has been the best 'training' style for me - an experienced, knowledgeable adjunct to the books and the forums and somebody I trust to witness my (many) errors without making me feel an idiot. WOW cool move!
Carol your husband sounds a diamond, minesokay just don't tell him that but most of my friends others halves wont even help with the kids over the weekends let alone support and help with anything they are doing. It's nice to know there are some gooduns around still. My ole mans a piano tuner so one day when I can afford the clay i'm going to make him a piano keyboard keyring so he can show all his customers too LOL