PDA

View Full Version : where an I get

Wendy Moriarty
16-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Hi,
where can I get the metal gauze for firing and drying the clay on, I've looked on Cooksons and can't find it, does it have a special name?
Also having some trouble soldering jump rings, either I melt the ring (torch too hot I presume) or nothing happens which probarbly means it's not hot enough, I have managed to do one but melted two, I know I need to practice but should I practice with nothing on the rings first (Iwant to run before I can walk) as I've been trying to solder charms to charm carriers?

emroyjewels
16-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Hi Wendy. I presume you're asking about the mesh for artclay/ PMC? This is something cookies are a little bit pricey on, so I bought mine from http://www.silverclaystore.com/stainless-steel-net-large-180x180mm-527-p.asp

however, you can also get it from www.silverclay.co.uk, and loads of other clay places.

HTH

mizgeorge
16-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Wendy, I'd practice rings with nothing on to start with, both on their own, and also held in tweezers/third hand - these will create a heat sink which changes how both the metal and solder will behave - and you need to get used to this as you'll be using just these type of tools to solder charms, for example.

Wendy Moriarty
16-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Thank you I've ordered one and a couple of other bits :-)

Wendy Moriarty
16-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks I will give both a go, I'd only used hand held tweezers but do have third hand ones just never thought to use them :-)