PDA

View Full Version : Polishing copper

emroyjewels
11-06-2010, 10:41 PM
What's the best way to polish copper and get that lovely warm orangey colour? I'm starting with copper sheet, which has a nice patina to it, stamping and then oxidising.

When I try and polish with a pro polish pad (which does wonders for silver!), it adds a greyish tinge to the copper, and removes that lovely warm layer.

What should I be using instead to get that high shine?:confused:

Updated to add: I only have my hands, no fancy tools like polishing motors and the like, so need something I can do manually, even if it takes hours!

Many thanks!

Dennis
12-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Your grey tinge might be just residual polish, so try washing with detergent or liquid soap. Following your post I tried Brasso wadding and that worked well. for a duller finish I can also suggest a wet and soapy brass brush which will leave the recesses patinated. The kind they sell in shoe repairers will do. Please let us know the result, Dennis.

emroyjewels
12-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks Dennis, I hopped along to Wilkinsons and bought myself some brasso wadding. It polished the copper, so it's definitely all clean and shiny.

BUT it's still a paleish grey-orange, rather than the deep orange I was trying to get back to.

I'm not sure if it's just me, because hubby thinks it looks pretty, and my camera makes it look a lovely colour, but its still much paler than it was when I first started!:(|

It's pretty, and servicable and I'm sure my customer will love it, but the perfectionist in me is disappointed I can't work out how to get that elusive orange shade. I'm scared to post a picture because you'll all think I'm a loony as I know my camera makes it look good, but it's not right for me. Argh! :N:

wheely
12-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Personally I think it's cute, and looks lovely and shiny. I know what you mean though about the frustration of not achieving the finish you want.

Di Sandland
12-06-2010, 12:54 PM
application of heat would 'redden' it up a bit

mizgeorge
12-06-2010, 01:16 PM
it will darken very quickly if you just leave it in air for a little while. When it reaches the shade you like, a quick coat of renaissance wax will help stop it from oxidising further. I avoid heating finished pieces it as it can soften the metal too much in the process.

Dennis
12-06-2010, 10:04 PM
As Geoge says, just wait until tomorrow. In the mean time I'll collect my commission from Reckitt/Brasso. Kind regards, Dennis.

Sheltie
12-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Depending on the effect you want you can also polish copper with a silver cloth, It gives a really warm burnished look to the copper

MuranoSilver
13-06-2010, 07:14 AM
I think that looks fabulous :)
Nic x

emroyjewels
13-06-2010, 01:28 PM
I think that looks fabulous :)
Nic x

Thanks Nic!

Patience = not one of my virtues! It doesn't look any better today, but I'm going to leave it til tomorrow in the hope it will improve, and then wax it whether its my idea of perfection or not as customer is waiting.

I know the customer will still love it because she doesn't know the exact shade of orange I'm aiming for, but the perfectionist in me is :'( a little hehe.

FVT
13-06-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm finding that the' brass brush and liquid detergent under running water' approach is really helping get closer to the results I expect. Also burnishing gives it yet another look. But the colour does tend to vary naturally from piece to piece.

I've heard a few people mention renaissance wax....does this not leave the pieces 'sticky and waxy'? I've never used it before, but like the sound of it.

Dennis
13-06-2010, 09:54 PM
The Use Of Wax.
I have a tin of Renaissance wax and a little goes a long way. It is particularly valued by jewellers to protect work after patination, but I have been unable to prove to myself that it is any better than some of the posher spray- on furniture polishes, or even clear shoe polish. The bottom line is that waxed patinas that are made beautiful and multi-coloured by applying sulphur compounds will slowly progress to the darkest colour for that metal. At that point it can only be restored by cleaning and re- patinating
For this reason I believe that if you are selling this, you are selling smoke and mirrors unless the work has been completely darkened and then the high parts rubbed up with a cloth, as this antiqued effect can be easily maintained by a customer. Shout at me if you disagree, Dennis.

LydiaNiz
27-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I've only used the renaissance wax on oxidised silver (to halt it at specific hues - i love that petrol blue sheen you can get), but does it continue to darken even with the use of the wax? (I've not used it for long enough to tell I don't think)
Love the piece by the way - (not much help as any copper I've done has been finished with rotary and or/tumbler)

mikki mack
27-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Can anyone tell me of a way to make copper brooch/ bangles jewellery from copper offcuts ..round....square..and also.hollow pipe ....things like that ...........and it it easy to solder " silver " coloured brooch pins to back of copper.....?..I have only done a few solders recently...on copper to copper... :~:

Dennis
27-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Dear mikki,
To be a studio jeweller you must also be an ideas person, so lay out your scraps until they suggest something to you. Provided the parts to be joined are clean and you use a flux, such as borax, there is no problem soldering silver to copper with any of the silver solders. kind regards, Dennis.

mikki mack
27-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Hi Dennis,
Thank you for your quick reply....I do a lot of other craft work and tihnk of ways to do layouts etc....my main problem is making a start, soldering ..cutting..polishing bit daunting for me.!!!.but..when I start things should get easier...!..Thank you again..
Mikki:~: