PDA

View Full Version : Five Sixpenny Tips.

Dennis
09-06-2010, 08:31 AM
1. Swarf, that curly stuff that you collect when drilling silver, is not just for recycling. If you have an annoying small gap after soldering, which the solder won’t fill, it is possible to snip some swarf and pack it in there. New solder will then flow and stay. So keep some ready in box with anti tarnish strip.
2. Air dusters are expensive, but last for ages. They come from places like Maplin and PC World, but make sure the little tube is not missing, and maybe cut it shorter. Then when you have to blow water or fine dust out of a tight corner, a quick blast will fix it.
3. Small twist drills quickly get blunt, but you hardly ever need to buy new ones, because they are so easy to resharpen with a diamond wheel in a handpiece. Hold your handpiece steady on a flat, raised surface with the wheel in place. Memorise the angles on the cutting edges of the drill and touch them briefly on the slowly rotating wheel, first one and then the other. If you have got this right they will cut as new again.
4. Titanium tweezers are great for soldering because, although they will bend when heated to red, they are easily straightened again. Unlike brass they retain their points and do not get impossibly soft. They are also safe to use in pickle. The shorter ones, 130mm are best. Also consider the reverse action ones for soldering small jumprings onto chains.
5. If you ever decide that part of your finished work would look better with a texture, or if you want to tidy up the back, a frosting wheel for pendant motor will come to the rescue. Other areas can be masked off and you can even make a frosted border doing this. Run slowly it does not hurt your fingers much, but you need eye protection in case of flying wires.
That will be half a crown, please.

Di Sandland
09-06-2010, 04:42 PM
love the swarf tip, Dennis thank you. And I used to get half-a-crown pocket money - amazing how far it went

Dennis
10-06-2010, 07:29 AM
What Does Half a Crown Mean to You?
To me it means lunch at Georges. George had a restaurant in a basement in Charlotte Street. There was no sign, but everyone knew it was there. All he served was spaghetti Bolognese. He had lots of cats and every now and then all the cats disappeared. One day I said to him: ‘George, It’s my twenty-first and I’d like to invite all my college class to lunch. Can you put on a table cloth?’ And he put his arm round my shoulder and said ‘What you wan’a table cloth for, my son?’

ross88online
10-03-2011, 05:51 PM
It is funny.

Tabby66
10-03-2011, 06:35 PM
means old money to me Dennis!!

I do remember spending sixpences though :-)

ps_bond
10-03-2011, 08:14 PM
What Does Half a Crown Mean to You?

I'm sure I recognise that... Wasn't Floyd, was it?

Dennis
11-03-2011, 08:18 AM
No, I'm afraid that as above, it will always mean spaghetty with mince of dubious provenance. Dennis.