PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed please

Trudy
04-08-2009, 06:55 PM
i have been using the torch from the cooksons soldering kit. the gas switch has just broken on me and now the whole thing will not turn off. there is no helpline on packaging. i have tried calling cooksons but they are obviously shut now.

no one here can get it to turn off am i just going to have to wait for it to burn out completely?!!!! i have only used it for 10-15 minutes. is it going to be safe to leave after this?

please can someone help me

tracytwist
04-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi Trudy
What a nightmare, just trying to get an answer from my brother-in law who's a fireman to ask, and googling it at the same time.... guessing that you can't move the switch at all with pliers or similar...?

Not sure how long the gas will run as I don't know the size but think about 15-20 mins

Lindyloo
04-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Wow, that sounds dangerous. Can you take it outside to reduce the fire hazard? Apart from that I don't know what you can do. So sorry to be useless.:N:

Trudy
04-08-2009, 07:09 PM
my partner is sat with it facing out of the window..
the switch will move across but must be broken inside as doesnt change anything...its still going strong.
was going to ring fire brigade but thought they must come out to the house and charge us a huge fine....not sure what else to try really

tracytwist
04-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Ok Answer from Fire station is let it burn out, so sounds like you are doing the best thing. Lets hope the neighbours don't see your other half hanging out the window with a blow torch!!

Charlotte
04-08-2009, 07:12 PM
What a pain in the bum, I'm afraid I can't help either#-o Hope it gets sorted safely!

myke
04-08-2009, 07:13 PM
put it into a pot of water or under the tap

Trudy
04-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Ok Answer from Fire station is let it burn out, so sounds like you are doing the best thing. Lets hope the neighbours don't see your other half hanging out the window with a blow torch!!

Yes he has already had a few odd looks from people walking by!! We live in a second floor flat so I dread to think how it looks from the ground!

Thanks very much for your help...have been getting pretty stressed but as long as they arent too worried about it then thats good.

flame is starting to get a bit smaller now.... do you think once it has burned out completely it will be safe to store? Im hoping that there is no way it could leak any more...

tracytwist
04-08-2009, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't store it in a closed space/cupboard. Outside if you can to be safe, but otherwise in a large open space just to be sure.

Trudy
04-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all your help...flame is out now...sorry for the panic!

ahunter
04-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Trudy

My apologies for the problems you've had with the hand torch, it sounds like you had a harrowing 20 minutes.

I'll try to get in touch in the morning to investigate further, and to arrange a quick delivery of a replacement.

Regards

Adam Hunter
E-Commerce Manager - cooksongold.com

MuranoSilver
04-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Whooop - now THAT is service!! =D>
Nic x