PDA

View Full Version : How to figure out delivery charges for your own website

Helenka
27-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi there
I couldn't find the right category to put this question under - I couldn't find a business related theme on here, which is strange as I remember that there was one.
Anyway I am working on my website and would like to know from those of you who sell via their website how they figured out a fair postage and packaging rate. I have been on the RM website for their rates - but obviously it goes by weight and size and I don't want to over complicate the delivery rate system and am not sure what to charge.
So how did you solve this issue?

Di Sandland
27-05-2010, 12:56 PM
I costed all the packaging stuff plus postage into the cost of the item and then made p&p free.

daisychain
27-05-2010, 04:43 PM
I send everything special delivery (or the oversea equivalent) as that's the only method that insures jewellery. Most of the p&p costs are in the items, and I charge £2 for orders under £50, and it's free for orders £50 or more.

caroleallen
27-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Mine is free postage too.

Helenka
28-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks for replying. I had a look at special delivery charges and they are quite dear - up to 500 g - 5.50.
Will look at your websites:)

Amy_FJFW
08-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Studies have suggested that customers are more likely to buy if p&p is free. The best thing to do i reckon (because of high postage charges) is to just add that charge into the price of the items, subsidising it perhaps for higher value items.

gilliangladwin
21-07-2010, 04:05 PM
It is difficult but I charge a flat rate which is overpriced for some items and underpriced for others so eventually it will just average out. I also do free delivery if they spend a certain amount as it seems to encourage people to buy just one more piece!