PDA

View Full Version : Cool Cats.

Dennis
26-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Sometimes I have to make gifts other than jewellery, so I hope that you will be entertained by these mechanical cats.
The first has a fly on a very thin wire, crimped into a tube at the back of its head. The head is loose and has a long spike which passes through a hole in a turntable hidden in the plinth. When the handle is turned the cat’s head appears to follow the fly. This was inspired by a craft worker who regularly showed a range of wooden toys at fairs. His version was of a man, but I argued that it should have been a cat. I have not seen him around recently and only wish I could acknowledge him by name.
The second was made as a retirement present for a much loved teacher. It is my take on those Japanese lucky cats. The boat shaped pendulum at the base is connected to the raised paw and when you nudge it the paw waves. I hope it has not ended up in her kitchen drawer. Dennis

lorraineflee
26-05-2010, 04:52 PM
They are brilliant - what a clever clogs you are!!

Lorraine

caroleallen
26-05-2010, 05:32 PM
How lovely. I love things that move.

elliboo
26-05-2010, 07:12 PM
My DH LOVES automata - we have lots of wooden moving toys/ornaments but I've never seen anything like these before. Have you looked at Cabaret Mechanical Theatre (http://www.cabaret.co.uk)? I love them, Dennis - hey, my DH's birthday is in August - I know I can't afford it but 'd love to buy him/make something like these

Gemma
26-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Wow! Yet more talents?!?! Those are great Dennis.

(Shinto cats btw ;))

Tabby66
26-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Wow Dennis! Wow!

Those look incredibly complex and challenging, i've only attempted jewellery.
Love them.

Lou
26-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Wow, love them!

MuranoSilver
27-05-2010, 07:13 AM
They're both fabulous, my favourite is the waving cat.
Does the little star pop in and out of the base when he waves? ( Maybe for extra luck)
Love the boxes they sit on too - beautiful precision....
Nic xx

Di Sandland
27-05-2010, 08:21 AM
There is absolutely no way that would have ended up in her kitchen drawer, Dennis. You are a clever old bugger xxx

snow_imp
27-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Wow I love them - the cat following the fly sounds like real fun. Nice work.

lesley
27-05-2010, 03:14 PM
How clever! And fabulous fun.

Dennis
27-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Thank you, I'm glad you liked them. In reply:
Sharon, I'm sorry I dont make anything to sell now, one of the few priviliges of retirement. I loved the spaghetty eater.
Nic, the bottom with the star goes in and out like a fairground swing.
Di, That's what my wife calls me, but she leaves out 'clever'.

daisychain
27-05-2010, 04:46 PM
They are amazing Dennis! I love mechanical toys - there was a mechanical toy musuem that we used to go to when I was a child living in Chichester. I must find out if it's still there as my little boy would love it.

elliboo
27-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Lol Dennis - I don't blame you one tiny bit! Any tips? (My favourite CMT is the Poisoned cat!)