PDA

View Full Version : Argentium Silver...Tell us all you know!! Experiences good or bad!!

Solunar Silver Studio
04-08-2009, 10:31 AM
I've just read a post by Peter (p.s.bond) where he mentions Argentium silver breaking when it is hot... I have read a lot of 'scare stories' =:-O about working with it and as a consequence have chickened out of using it...other than for ear wires which I use with my fine silver earrings. :Y:

I did think it might work well with pmc too - but as yet haven't worked up the courage to experiment!! I'm sure a lot of people (not just forum members but many guests too) would like to get a bit more information about the dos and don'ts of Argentium silver...right from the front line so to speak... those of you who have had a go and survived to tell the tale!! :D

I hope one or two of you have got some hints and tips or this thread is destined to divebomb....and I'm doomed to live in ignorance!! <:)-

bustagasket
04-08-2009, 10:44 AM
I got me note book out ready to take notes miss :D

ps_bond
04-08-2009, 10:46 AM
It has a learning curve is all. There's a few bits out there (notably from Cynthia Eid) on working with it - you just have to remember it isn't quite what we expect from sterling.

The Argentium hard solder doesn't flow well; it doesn't conduct heat quite as readily as sterling; it is red-hard - so larger pieces need supporting; you can use it for keum-boo very readily...

But the tarnish resistance is pretty effective from what I've seen.

It's miles better than that horrible Brilliante that was around.

mizgeorge
04-08-2009, 01:42 PM
have to agree about the brillante, which was just horrid, horrid, horrid.

I'm still to be convinced that argentium's worth the extra £££.

ps_bond
04-08-2009, 01:50 PM
have to agree about the brillante, which was just horrid, horrid, horrid.

I blame the zinc. I spoke to one silversmith who was complaining about the amount of "dense white smoke" coming off the stuff while she was trying to TIG weld it. I think I went a bit pale - I know just how bad inhaling zinc fumes can be (which is why I will not forge galvanised steel, no matter how good the ventilation).

I'm still to be convinced that argentium's worth the extra £££.

Depends. For some stuff, the tag of "and you'll never/hardly ever have to polish it" is good; the lack of firestain for pieces you're annealing often is very appealing... There's plus points, but I think it needs to be used for specific gains, not as just a straight substitute.

Solunar Silver Studio
04-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Has anybody heard how it works with precious metal clay?...............anyone?............. (Looks around hopefully)..............:(

caroleallen
05-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Well tomorrow, er today actually (omg I wish I could sleep), I'm going to have my first try with Argentium. Cynthia Eid has demo'd it at the class I'm doing in Birmingham and we each have a couple of pieces to try out. It looks relatively easy but I'll let you know. The reason I can't sleep is that I keep going over designs in my head and also cos it's so darn hot in my hotel room. I-)

mizgeorge
05-08-2009, 11:33 AM
still very jealous of your course Carole ;)

Ominicci
06-08-2009, 03:55 PM
I wasn't aware that you had to use a different solder with Argentium?

So far I have only used it for headpins and S links that I make with balled ends - it is fantastic for that as the balls do not 'pit' like they do with sterling.

ps_bond
06-08-2009, 03:59 PM
I wasn't aware that you had to use a different solder with Argentium?

You don't - but the "proper" solder has the same tarnish resistance as the rest of the metal. There's also some melting point differences - detailed in the tech literature on it.

CheekyLemur
25-08-2009, 06:58 AM
When I first used argentium, I wasn't aware that it was any different to sterling, so imagine my shock when I used binding wire and it all crumbled. All the soldering cheats that you've used for years are gone if you're using argentium, no tweaking with the tweezers, no popping earwires onto the work as the solder flows (for me) but all it needs to master it is a little planning and forethought.

Solunar Silver Studio
25-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Ye Gods!!...planning - forethought ....I wasn't expecting to have to undergo a personality transplant to work with it!!=:-O:-D. I am only using it at the moment for earwires - as all my work is fine silver based and that is too weak to use for earwires - Argentium has been a complete godsend for my earring production! I might try to use it for brooch pins when I can find a day when I am not running myself ragged and can have a play around with it...but it does seem to be nice and hard and springy after it has been hardened.

caroleallen
25-08-2009, 07:33 AM
I haven't had much chance to play with it yet as Cooksons are unable to keep up with the demand. I have some arriving today and am looking forward to using it for keum boo. One of the advantages of it is that it fuses so easily so you don't need to use so much solder. Cynthia Eid demo'd soldering using argentium paste which you can only get (of course!) from Rio Grande in America. I've now got some of this, so hopefully will be able to start work soon.

Argentium seems to come pre-annealed but if you want to anneal it you need to know a simple trick. Draw all over the piece with a Sharpie pen and heat it until the pen marks disappear. Also don't quench it too quickly, wait for it to cool a bit. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Solunar Silver Studio
25-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Argentium seems to come pre-annealed but if you want to anneal it you need to know a simple trick. Draw all over the piece with a Sharpie pen and heat it until the pen marks disappear. Also don't quench it too quickly, wait for it to cool a bit. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

I wonder if anyone actually uses Sharpie pens to write with??!!??:-D

I shan't ask how you (or whoever) found out about this neat little trick!!

mizgeorge
26-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Out of curiosity Barbara, why don't you just use Sterling for earwires?

Solunar Silver Studio
26-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Hi George. I have always loved silver and prefer the look of it to gold - but I have never been able to wear it much because I make it discolour so quickly...lord knows what is wrong with my body chemistry!!:-D. When I discovered fine silver and found out that I could wear it for ever and it didn't discolour I swore I would never go back to sterling and I would give other people the opportunity of having silver that could be worn without having to constantly clean it. So that is my 'unique selling point'....and I doggedly refused to make earrings until Cooksons started to supply Argentium and I could provide my earrings with wires that would have the same tarnish resistance as the fine silver I use for everything else! ....Good old Cooksons!!:Y: