PDA

View Full Version : hot plate

sandmor1
09-05-2010, 08:27 AM
would it be OK to use the base of a slow cooker to dry the clay.

I don't mean the crockpot itself, just the metal base. I have a very old old one I never use now and the base is a flat metal (?) sheet.

I have just been air drying so far although I do have the other normal things, hairdryer/heat gun etc.

Is one method of drying any better than another? I have been leaving the item to dry for at least 24hrs up to 48hrs.

Thank you
Sandra

MuranoSilver
09-05-2010, 11:59 AM
My concern with drying the clay directly on the metal base is that if it's aluminium then it will react with the clay
causing pits and holes in the clay...steel would be OK though :)

nic xx

FVT
09-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I've been considering one of these for a long time, I've heard they are good for drying purposes....as well as boiling eggs ;-)

Single Boiling Table Top Hob (Comes in silver & White): Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Single-Boiling-Table-Comes-silver/dp/B0013HI1JQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1J716OZZ2BLN7&colid=3IYMUIL03TU29)

elliboo
09-05-2010, 06:58 PM
If they get hot enough to boil water would they start to burn off the binder before you're ready to fire? I'd be a bit nervous about lots of warping too on a very hot surface. I dry my pieces in a low set oven, or a toaster oven. I might keep my eyes open for a little mug warmer though.

FVT
09-05-2010, 07:49 PM
It would definately be wise to keep the hob on the lowest possible setting. The other thing I've seen them used for is Keum Boo. A mug warmer has been on my list though, but they all seem to be USB powered, I'd prefer to keep it in my work area so it would need to be powered by the mains.

Sheltie
09-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Have to be honest I use a fan oven set to about 80degrees and not had a problem so far. The pieces are set on playincards and then just poped onto the wire rack.

elliboo
10-05-2010, 06:54 AM
It would definately be wise to keep the hob on the lowest possible setting. The other thing I've seen them used for is Keum Boo. A mug warmer has been on my list though, but they all seem to be USB powered, I'd prefer to keep it in my work area so it would need to be powered by the mains.

Could you use one of those plugs with USB adapters? Like one of these (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Pack-Mains-Laptop-iPhone/dp/B002CW9YX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273473933&sr=1-1) Not suggesting the seller, just the first one I googled!

FVT
10-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Ooh good thinking Sharon, thanks for the tip! :-)

sandmor1
10-05-2010, 02:56 PM
OK Ladies...I guess that my slow cooker hot plate is no good. I asked my DH what it was and he said aluminium, that it was too light to be steel. But I liked the link to the single boiling tabletop hob. I might look into that.
Thank you to everyone for your input. Very helpful..as always.
Sandra

MuranoSilver
11-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Glad you found out about Aluminium contamination in time then (phew!)
Had another thought - perhaps you could put a kiln tile on top of the aluminium part (the thin ceramic types)
then put your work on those to dry ~ the heat should transfer through :)
Nic x

ps_bond
11-05-2010, 11:00 AM
One thing I've used for keum boo is a square of 3mm steel to give an even distribution of heat. This is generally fine, but every now and again the flame from the gas burner wafts around an edge, which is not so fine...

Fi Wilson
11-05-2010, 11:39 AM
I've just got myself a cheap tea light plate warmer from ebay to speed up the drying process. You know those ones they use in the chinese restaurants to keep your food warm. I've got to find a way to use up those huge bags of tea lights I keep getting from Ikea each time I go!

Fi