PDA

View Full Version : My first efforts

steelarts
07-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and to making jewellery. This is my first effort at making a ring and I made plenty of mistakes but I also learned a lot from making said mistakes. I'm a gun engraver by trade and the engraved monogram and shoulders are by me. I am pleased with the way it turned out. Any constructive critique is most welcome as my aim is to keep improving.

cheers,
Marcus

ps_bond
07-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Hi Marcus - I think you're the only full-time engraver on here, I'm afraid; that will make a critique kind of tricky. What was the ring before you started working it?

Folks, if you haven't seen Marcus' website, I would heartily recommend it - he does fantastic work (and on more than guns too).

steelarts
07-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Hi Peter, sorry I should've said that the ring was a die struck signet ring blank from Cooksons that I made up. I used a sterling silver blank as I figured it was better to make my mistakes on a cheap ring than a gold one! I learned a lot from the exercise, not least how to solder and how to resize (as I made it too big), LOL.

MuranoSilver
07-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Wow - Marcus that is amazing :worthy:
Firstly :welcome: to the forum
I love solid textured jewellery and your engraving is so visually interesting balancing the ring design perfectly!
Was the original ring cast in wax? Hope it's the first of many as if that's your first go, I can't wait to see what you make next!
On another note I would like to get intertwined initials drawn for myself (to use as a logo), unfortunately my shop name
leave me with MS and my own is NC neither of which seem to work well.
(I want to have it made into a stamp for my work later too)
Any advice?
Nic xx

lorraineflee
07-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Hi Marcus and welcome - I am in total awe of your engraving!
Lorraine

ps_bond
07-05-2010, 09:17 AM
What flux did you use for soldering it? I'm gradually coming round to using Auflux for things; I don't find it as effective as borax for sticking paillons in place, but it does seem better in most ways.

These are much deeper cuts than you'd usually use on steel, aren't they?

Are you looking to stick with part-made components, or move over to fabrication from scratch for this endeavour?

caroleallen
07-05-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm immensely impresssed by that engraving. It's something I'd love to master as part of my journey with enamel.

Di Sandland
07-05-2010, 09:40 AM
that is incredibly beautiful and impressive. I am in awe :)

Sunnybank
07-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Wow! ................

snow_imp
07-05-2010, 11:54 AM
The engraving is amazing and produces a beautiful result. Welcome.

Gemma
07-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Fantastically amazing!!! You have now made me to have a go at engraving now. I have too many new techniques on my to do list! Any tips for the complete novice?

Oh, and :welcome: by the way!

mizgeorge
07-05-2010, 02:51 PM
That's fabulous. Please put a link to your website in your signature - I'd love to see more of your work :)

ps_bond
07-05-2010, 03:25 PM
If you (left) click on the username, there should be a drop-down box with "visit homepage" if the URL is set in the user profile.

mizgeorge
07-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks Peter. And well worth doing - what an amazing body of work. And what a lovely story as well.

steelarts
07-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for your really nice comments folks. Engraving is something I've been doing for over 30 years now and I learned from one of the best in the world, who happens to be my father. Jewellery is something I love and I see some designs and am just blown away by the talent involved it the creation. I'm hoping to be able to make things where I can utilise what I already know and just hope there might be a market for it somewhere.

Gemma, number one tip for the novice engraver, you have to have the patience and enthusiasm and love of engraving first and foremost coz it's a very time consuming pursuit that you can't learn overnight. Secondly (if the previous statement hasn't put you off) , make sure you can sharpen your tools correctly. Thirdly, the best book a beginner engraver can get is "The Art of Engraving" by James B. Meek. Although there's a lot of stuff that has been superceded by modern methods the actual instruction is second to none. Finally, check out The Engraver's Cafe (I think Peter knows about this website) at "all the w's".igraver.com/forum/ Here you'll find a very friendly community of engravers of all levels that are very willing to share info and guide the novice.

But that's enough about engraving......I want to know about jewellery!

steelarts
07-05-2010, 07:56 PM
I have got a signature with my website address but for some reason it's not showing.

Sunnybank
07-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Double wow!

Mystic
08-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Wow what a talented guy, it must take so much patience, love your website

Dennis
08-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Dear Marcus,
I have been embarrassed to offer advice, so I have left a message in your inbox. However if you are on foreign territory, here are some further thoughts. Apart from rings you could also consider tags for mens' bracelets and key tags with initials. Cooksons have large split rings for this and also small ones to save on soldering jumprings. Plates could also have cleats at the back for fixing to leather goods. Once you have made a master, if you wish to go this route, it can be reproduced economically by a jewellery caster, with very little finishing by you. Your work is exceptional and would certainly attract attention if translated to jewellry. However the pressure is always to reduce the cost. Kind regards Dennis.

arian
08-05-2010, 06:20 PM
However if you are on foreign territory

Ah, you Lunnon people are all the same :). Glorster-shuh is way west, only
known as a weekend destination :)

mizgeorge
08-05-2010, 06:38 PM

Ah. But there's some us even further west into Glos - and a fair few further west still ;)

Sunnybank
08-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Some as far west as Wales! :-)

Dennis
08-05-2010, 07:46 PM

I meant foreign parts, 'Jewellery', not foreign parts 'Glorster', you are touchy you lot. He's a gun engraver. Have a nice weekend, Dennis.

FVT
09-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Just received a set of graving tools the other day in the hope that I can achieve some interesting patterns and textures...I think it will be quite some time though before I get anywhere even close to the work of such a master :-O

MuranoSilver
09-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Just spent some time in your gallery on Marcus Hunt | Master Hand Engraver (http://www.hunt-engraving.co.uk)
Love the belt buckel in the accessories and the knives and (well pretty much everything really!)
The idea Dennis had was a great one - spend time with masters then have those cast to make
larger runs (if that's something you wanted to do, your artistry is so unique)

Have you ever done any crosses? Engraved crosses are so rare now and would be beautiful
Nic x

Dennis
10-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Dear Marcus,
I could not see a way of sending this by private message, so here as requested is a bracelet I made a few years back, for a grandson. Possibly to be more universal, it could just have an initial. I have made lots of dog tags for boys too. There is lots of stuff like this in high streeet jewellers, department stores and places like Carnaby Street, London. Also Have alook at a company called Links. Kind regards Dennis

steelarts
11-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks for all your input folks, you have certainly given me much to think about. At the moment I'm working on a smaller ring than this one and rather than initials I'm seal engraving the flat. It's not going to have a crest as I haven't a family history that gives me the right to wear one but as I see it there's nothing wrong with a 'personal seal'. I'll post some pics when it's done.

daisychain
11-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Wow! That is amazing work.

LydiaNiz
27-06-2010, 07:19 PM
beautiful!!! Another skill I would love to have - really lovely

gilliangladwin
21-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Wow they look really amazing, the engraving is flawless!