PDA

View Full Version : Copper Foldformed Locket

Ominicci
05-05-2010, 03:19 PM
An experiment...

I like it and will try more in this vein, but there are things I would do differently/better: the hinge; a catch to keep the back closed (it rattles because the hinge is 'loose'); the silver ring - should be copper but I didn't have any thick copper wire (and was too lazy to cut it out of sheet)

snow_imp
05-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Wow - I love it.

How did you make the hinge?

Petal
05-05-2010, 03:49 PM
I love that Nicci. I've been playing around with colour on copper for a while, just with putting some borax on and heating it. How did you achieve the colour, if you don't mind me asking?

Di Sandland
05-05-2010, 04:13 PM
I lust after this - but you already know ;)

Ominicci
05-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Anne - the hinge was not how I intended it to be but it is what it is and I will think further for next time. The middle knuckle is soldered on to the back of the locket front and is shaped like an oversized scroll type earring back with one side bigger than the other (the chain goes through the bigger side) It was formed from a long rectangular shape - each end rolled up with pliers. The out side knuckle are part of the locket back - two tabs sticking out at the top of the circle, rolled up with pliers again.

Jules - the patina is produced by cleaning the copper in pickle until it is bright red (rinse and wipe dry with cloth - the redness comes off), then brush the piece hard with a brass or steel brush (I have these as small attachments on my rotary tool). Brass and steel produce slightly different colours at the next stage - but it is a bit hit and miss. Place on firing block and use a small torch and 'waft' the flame over the surface quickly. Let it cool - the colour changes as it cools. The colour also changes depending on how many times you waft the flame, but will usually change slightly as it cools down - that is the hit and miss bit. The front of the locket was OK, but I 'overdid' the back, which is more 'gold' than I wanted.

Di - well you only said you adored it - now it is lust???

elliboo
05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
I really like this Nicci, you've got some beautiful colours in the mix.

Di Sandland
05-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Di - well you only said you adored it - now it is lust???

Grips of passion I'm afraid ;)

caroleallen
05-05-2010, 05:53 PM
I really like that. Hinges are soooooo difficult aren't they?

Gemma
05-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Wow! Love it. Love the colours; the folding; the silver; the everything!!!

Petal
05-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks for sharing that Nicci. I haven't been 'playing' lately, so I'll be getting my torch out very soon to have a go at that. Gawd, I've never used my safety pickle yet =:-O but I'll def. be giving it a go.

Lisa Quinn
05-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Wow Nicci, that is really luscious, I love fold forming and combining it with a locket design is indeed very inspirational xx

vsilvered
05-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Really gorgeous, Nicci

MuranoSilver
06-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Absolutely fantabulous!!! Very inspiring, love what you did with the foldforming :worthy:
I so want to go on a foldforming course now :)
Nic xx

snow_imp
06-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Anne - the hinge was not how I intended it to be but it is what it is and I will think further for next time. The middle knuckle is soldered on to the back of the locket front and is shaped like an oversized scroll type earring back with one side bigger than the other (the chain goes through the bigger side) It was formed from a long rectangular shape - each end rolled up with pliers. The out side knuckle are part of the locket back - two tabs sticking out at the top of the circle, rolled up with pliers again.

Thanks for the info - I just couldn't figure it out. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with as an alternative hinge design.

Sunnybank
06-05-2010, 11:55 AM
That is lovely Nicci, think I need to take a trip down the the Wye Valley to see you!

griffT
06-05-2010, 11:59 AM
What a fabulous piece of work, lovely colours.

Nick.

Cathy at the Beach
06-05-2010, 03:07 PM
This is gorgeous! I love the design. I also think the silver ring looks great. I like the contrast.

Nice work. Definately my kind of jewellery!

Ominicci
07-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Definately my kind of jewellery!

Ha ha Cathy - it was the 'organic' look i was going for. As I said before, I ususally have to make things symmetrical, even etc. but with foldforming you don't get to determine the final look except to shape the edges !