PDA

View Full Version : Will you be voting in the election?

Dennis
04-05-2010, 05:51 AM
Women chained themselves to railings, threw themselves under horses and went to prison just to gain the vote.
Here are some earrings I made for a project: To chose a portrait at the National Portrait Gallery and provide some jewellery for that person to wear. I chose Emmeline Pankhurst. The suffragette colours were amethyst, peridot and pearl, so that is what the posh ones wore. The poorer ones wore cheaper imitations. My idea was to wear the studs during the day and then add the pendants in the evening. This is only a prototype and if I made it again I would hide the hooks at the back. Also the pictures are poor, being scanned in from prints. At that time I had my Suffragette period, so I made the necklace for a birthday present.
Will you be voting in the election?

caroleallen
04-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Those are beautiful. I like the necklace best; what a lovely idea.

Di Sandland
04-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Loving the earrings and, like Carole, I think the idea was a good one.

As for your other question, wow what a 'crisis of conscience' I'm having this time around. I can't throw away my vote because, as you say, votes for women were a hard won trophy and not that long ago either - these things happened wheh my grandmother was in her teens. That means I'm only the third generation of my family to have the vote. All that being said, I can't think of anybody worthy of my vote! Tactical voting, my OH advises. But to do that goes against my core beliefs. Hmm... All can say is, I won't be voting BNP!

MuranoSilver
04-05-2010, 08:03 AM
I will be voting in the election and though I think the parties are pretty much all the same now it will be going to the Tories....
John Hayes (the local Tory man) is so good at representing us and he's the only face I recognise.
He shops locally, sends his children to the local schools, visits us when he's doing his "surgery" at the Town Hall and supports local causes.

The Libs have made a good case too but (using a sweeping generalisation) the Tories seem to look after us "nation of small shopkeepers"
Nic x

mizgeorge
04-05-2010, 08:13 AM
What a great interpretation of the theme Dennis :)

Jayne
04-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Love those pieces Dennis, esp the sentiment and the way that you've varied the stones - unique & elegant.
As for the other question......kowabunga, that's a toughie! Whatever happens, we are heading for a crap PM (imao), just depends who you hate the least. Locally, it's our Labour candidate who's really in touch with what's going on & really hard working, unfortunately voting Labour here is a wasted vote. That combined with Vince Cable (respekt ;)) mean I'm going to do the tactical thing and go LibDem. But I will have to cross my fingers while I do it.
xx

kymbi
04-05-2010, 09:23 AM
A great idea and I love your interpretation of the theme - I like the idea of the earrings that can be day-to-night wear.

As for the election - of course I will be voting, too many women fought for my right to do this.

Lisa Quinn
04-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Dennis, your work never ceases to amaze me, you have such an eye for detail and your workmanship is absolutely magnificent, I hope that one day I too will be able to produce such fantastic pieces.

Hmmmm.......... politics, you might wish that you hadn't asked !!

As a person who believes that one should look after your fellow man and should not just think about what is best for oneself, I look to the evidence of the past and future indicators:

Do I want a government who takes care of the priviledged few ( a certain party has promised tax cuts for wealthiest few ( this will certainly benefit my family, but is that right at the expense of struggling hardworking families) and cutting inheritance tax, saving over £6 billion pounds in the first term for approx 0.8% of the population who need it least ?)

If you divide the country's population be divided in half ( north and south) during the last Tory term between 1980 and 1985 there were approx 103,600 job losses in the southern half and approx 1,032,0000 job losses in the North. Would I subject my fellow Northerners to such a fate?

I know who I won't be voting for and despair that this country should have such a short memory. I could go on regarding the reasons why I wouldn't betray the majority of hardworking, principled people in this country by wasting my vote on a "pretty"face with gushing false rhetoric, but then I might sound a bit preachy !!

Gemma
04-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Like those bits Dennis and what a great topic for inspiration.

I'll be voting. Like others have said- so much has gone in to my right to vote. Besides, if you don't vote you have no right to complain. I not saying who I'm voting for- TBH haven't quite decided yet- still have to read the manifestos! Honestly I think that very few seats are safe this time round. If there was ever a time to vote for who you want rather than tactical I'd say now's the time.

mizgeorge
04-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I will be voting. I get very cross at people who don't bother, and then complain about their government.

However, where my X will go is between me and the ballot box. I am surprised at anyone openly proclaiming their voting intentions on a public forum unrelated to politics, especially those who are supposed to be in a position of trust, and may be respected by others over whom they could possibly have some influence.

snow_imp
04-05-2010, 11:20 AM
I'll be voting too - I wouldn't dream of not using my vote as it was so difficult to get in the first place. Amazingly we have 8 candidates to choose from this time. It won't be BNP but that's all I'm willing to say on my choice.

elliboo
04-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Dennis, what a wonderful idea - and amethyst and perisot are 2 of my favourites :)

I'll definately be in the booth on Thursday - we usually take our daughter with us too, to try to make sure she realises the importance (and she likes to draw the cross in the box!)

MuranoSilver
04-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Dennis
I forgot to say that the pieces you put up are fantastic! Especially love the earrings (meant to say it but was enjoying the thread theme).

George as to the rest, if you're reffering to me then I hold my breath and cross my fingers quite enough for my "position of trust".
Everyone has their own opinions and we're hopefully mature enough to discuss them without offence.

Lisa I found your comments both thoughtful and very interesting, I feel terrible for any person that loses their job & the North suffered so much due to the loss of jobs during that period. Was that not also the time of the Miners strikes & the fall of the Steel Industry though?

Realistically unless we as individual citizens actively CHOOSE to pay more & buy British could those industries ever be replaced? Any government must find the problem of cheap overseas imports difficult to deal with (as we do on a smaller scale). I'm not sure what the answer is but I know that the country hasn't got bottomless pockets and the welfare system seems to be broken.

It's hardly surprising that so many people spend their lives on benefits when in some cases they can get as much money from benefits as many people earn in work. I don't blame them, I blame the system that allows the "benefits trap" to happen.

I'm also considering joining The TaxPayers' Alliance (http://www.taxpayersalliance.com) it seems to fit with my Grumpy old woman complaining about the world gone mad politics...

Nic xx

disorganised
04-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Yep, I'll be voting on Thursday, though haven't quite decided who I'm voting for. I'm in a very marginal seat, and may decide to vote tactically this time. But I don't want to have to.

I love the necklace in particular - and also the starburst effect at the top of the earrings.

Jayne
04-05-2010, 12:45 PM
I feel terrible for any person that loses their job & the North suffered so much due to the loss of jobs during that period. Was that not also the time of the Miners strikes & the fall of the Steel Industry though?

Why the 'though'?

MuranoSilver
04-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Because it wasn't just about the "North South divide" but where the manufacturing industry was located that aided the
disproportionate loss of jobs

Jayne
04-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Is that not an integral factor in the 'North South divide', then? The location of manufacturing industry?

MuranoSilver
04-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Yes but what I'm saying is I that it doesn't matter what party was in power in the 80's manufacturing was likely to be effected.
In the same way the world economic crisis would've created UK downturn whichever party was in power here, so
that isn't an influencer on my vote
nic x

geti-titanium
04-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Cup of tea anybody? :~:

Jayne
04-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Manufacturing was at best neglected and at worst crushed as part of a wider government economic policy in the '80s. It was thought by the PM at the time that Britain no longer needed manufacturing and would become a service economy.
One sugar for me please Alan ;)
x

MuranoSilver
04-05-2010, 03:12 PM
and have you got any Fruit cake or Jammie Dodgers?

ps_bond
04-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Manufacturing was at best neglected and at worst crushed...

Still is.

Did Jammy Dodgers used to have some sort of cream filling as well? It's been a topic of debate recently...

Di Sandland
04-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Still is.

Did Jammy Dodgers used to have some sort of cream filling as well? It's been a topic of debate recently...
I'm sure they did, Peter, but I don't think the loss of the cream had anything to do with Scargill ;)

geti-titanium
04-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Still is.

I remember them with cream - they're dry and nasty now

Jayne
04-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I remember them with cream - they're dry and nasty now

Don't they have different varieties? Jam & custard ones still have creamy stuff I think.
Do they not sell them up North, Geti? ;)
x

lorraineflee
04-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Don't they have different varieties? Jam & custard ones still have creamy stuff I think.
x
Does the cream only come in the southern variety!!! ???
Lorraine

geti-titanium
04-05-2010, 03:59 PM
x

I wouldn't know Jayne - I live in limbo in the Midlands, neither North nor South, where the sun shines for 6 months of the year and the only biscuits we see are Garibaldis :-)

Jayne
04-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Does the cream only come in the southern variety!!! ???

Maybe??
Don't worry, after the glorious revolution the whole country will be able to wallow in Jam 'n' Custard Jammy Dodgers. Ooooh, I can feel a manifesto coming on ;)
J x

Emerald
04-05-2010, 04:02 PM
got a bit lost there does Arthur Scargill eat Jammi Dodgers... surley not. You wont believe what i saw the other day lemon ones!

As for voting yep i will be but i am going to close my eyes and stick a pin in the paper :D

Jayne
04-05-2010, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't know Jayne - I live in limbo in the Midlands, neither North nor South, where the sun shines for 6 months of the year and the only biscuits we see are Garibaldis :-)

Not sure I understand. Can you complete the following survey please? :

Are you situated
a) North, or;
b) South
of Watford?

Lisa Quinn
04-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Maybe??
Don't worry, after the glorious revolution the whole country will be able to wallow in Jam 'n' Custard Jammy Dodgers. Ooooh, I can feel a manifesto coming on ;)
J x

As a Northern lass, I don't want none of that posh stuff coming up here thankee Jayne! We like our lard butties and stout, we need summat sturdy when we have come back up from pit!

lesley
04-05-2010, 04:22 PM
What's the difference between Gary Glitter and Arthur Scargill? No........I can't. [-X

As a Northern, Jammy Dodger hater, who believes lard is for swimmers and not butties, I will be voting for the same organ jugglers as usual.

"Arthur Scargill - great strike, disappointing result."

geti-titanium
04-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Not sure I understand. Can you complete the following survey please? :

Are you situated
a) North, or;
b) South
of Watford?

It's a common phallic symbol, Jayne, that there is a mystical line that separates the North and South of the country passing through Watford.

I can now categorically dispel this myth that it runs through Watford. The line is actually much thicker than first thought and is called 'The Midlands' which is neither North nor South. This area has long been known for spawning great intellect, the best looking inhabitants and ingenuity.

Unfortunately we are plagued with the worst accents and have been raised on a diet consisting of chips, mushy paes and Ginsters pasties, which has left some of us with a flatulence problem and contributes immensely to global warming (fortunately I escaped that one!).

However we do have a high influx of immigrants, second only to our once great capital Londinium, and the waiting list to get in can be as long as 45 minutes, depending which bus you are on.

elliboo
04-05-2010, 05:45 PM
It's a common phallic symbol, Jayne, that there is a mystical line that separates the North and South of the country passing through Watford.

I can now categorically dispel this myth that it runs through Watford. The line is actually much thicker than first thought and is called 'The Midlands' which is neither North nor South. This area has long been known for spawning great intellect, the best looking inhabitants and ingenuity.

Unfortunately we are plagued with the worst accents and have been raised on a diet consisting of chips, mushy paes and Ginsters pasties, which has left some of us with a flatulence problem and contributes immensely to global warming (fortunately I escaped that one!).

However we do have a high influx of immigrants, second only to our once great capital Londinium, and the waiting list to get in can be as long as 45 minutes, depending which bus you are on.

As a fellow Midlander (now relocated up north) I find I must concur with Geti! Although I must add Staffordshire oatcakes to your list of delicacies (at least for this potbank girl!) and I think the flatulence is mostly the menfolk

kymbi
04-05-2010, 06:26 PM
The north starts at the Watford Gap? Nah, as a south-londoner, the north starts on the opposite site of the River Thames. Fortunately, my feet are kept firmly on the ground by my OH from scottish mining stock.

Jayne
04-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Ummm Alan, still not quite getting it. A few more questions if that's okay:

It's a common phallic symbol why/how phallic symbol?

'The Midlands' which is neither North nor South. This area has long been known for spawning great intellect, the best looking inhabitants and ingenuity. Does this area include Norfolk? Please list examples of the good looking & ingenious.

diet consisting of chips, mushy paes and Ginsters pasties Ginsters pasties originate from Cornwall. Do trade links exist between this 'Midlands' place and the rest of the country? Do you have to buy them on the black market?

plagued with the worst accents bath or barth?

I must say that this is all quite fascinating. Here, in the area that lies to the South of Watford we are still governed by the customs and habits of the Norman Court. Everyone must speak French in public places, present a half of all their produce to the local nobleman (usually bananas and oranges) and pledge allegiance to Marcel Marceau once a month to avoid being burnt as a witch. Oh, and grow our leg hair......gawd! I hate that one!
J x

Mila Jewellery
04-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Does this area include Norfolk? Please list examples of the good looking & ingenious.

Well there's me and Bridget over here :D lol

Gemma
04-05-2010, 08:30 PM
As a Stokie living in Southampton for ...ummm the past nearly 10 years I am considered super Northern even though I see myself as a midlander.
I miss meat and potato pies :'( You just can't get them down here.

Oh and the kids here used to take the p*** out of me for telling them to open their text boooooks rather than text buks and one of them in particular used to cringe when I said graph instead of grrarph.

Though I do think we've got slightly off the topic of Dennis' pretty goodies ;)

Sunnybank
04-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Though I do think we've got slightly off the topic of Dennis' pretty goodies ;)

A very apt interpretation of an unusual source of inspiration and beautifully executed, Dennis. Yes I'll be voting, always have, just wish more people would as some turn out rates are appalling.

snow_imp
05-05-2010, 07:24 AM
just wish more people would as some turn out rates are appalling.

But if you could vote by phone, maybe we'd get as good a turn out as for X factor!!!!

Petal
05-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Yes, I'll definitely be voting and wish more people would. Lets hope things improve after Thursday, eh!

My apols. Dennis, I forgot to mention how beautiful your pieces are. Thanks for sharing with us.

lorraineflee
05-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Like the pieces - yes, I'll be voting!
Lorraine

Ominicci
05-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Particularly like the earrings Dennis!

I haven't voted for a while but will do this time.

crestes
05-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Your things are a great idea. You could sell thousands right now. There might be another opportunity when the new government collapses under the weight of balancing wisely. New brooms can be over zealous and a hanged parliament might also get drawn and quartered. Europe is looking like it might be heading for a blood bath but why worry? Change is about to come our way and change is probably a good thing. My Granny always told me that change for changes sake is not such a good thing. No-one listens to Grannies any more!

wheely
05-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Lovely bits Dennis.

I'll be voting, but which way it'll go depends on...I dunno what really, maybe just stick a pin in the paper. I don't feel anyone is worthy of the PM's job, maybe I'll cross all boxes for a vote of no confidence.

Green Beetle
06-05-2010, 06:50 AM
I've just voted for least worst (in my opinion) and know whatever the outcome I'm not going to feel good about it. "The Scream" comes to mind.

Think I'll go to bed early tonight and bury my head under the pillows.

MuranoSilver
06-05-2010, 07:47 AM
We'll be voting after work tonight - our polling booth is at the Police station
(in our village one of the few times it's open) thank fully lots of "beat" time
via specials though
Nic x

lorraineflee
06-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Been and made my mark!!

Lorraine

Dennis
06-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Well, now we've done politics, how about religion? Well, maybe not. Dennis.

lesley
06-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Yeah, go on. And after that a friendly chat about hanging. :D

MuranoSilver
06-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Well, now we've done politics, how about religion? Well, maybe not. Dennis.
Darn and I had such a great quote from the Dali Lama too!

Yeah, go on. And after that a friendly chat about hanging. :D
*Shudder* my Father-in-Law hangs Pheasants I bumped into one in the garage once.....=:-O
(they are however dead first).

apike
07-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Good morning all,

After catching up with this thread this morning I'd like to reiterate this is an open forum and anyone, moderatotor or not , is perfectly entitled to state their opinions in a measured manner without the repercussions of boarderline abuse from any other forum members. Political views are often a sensitive subject, but this is an open community and anything goes as long as nobody feels offended or intimidated. I suggest we close this thread and ideally revert from debates regarding politics, religion etc and possibly revert to more relevant subject. I'd also like people to remember that Nicola takes a substantial portion of her life to be an integral part of this forum as well as the moderation duties she generously conducts for us all.

Adam