PDA

View Full Version : Rose Bracelet

stu_clouds
30-04-2010, 11:31 AM
http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/members/stu_clouds-albums-sc-silver-picture1899-rose-bracelet.jpg

This is a picture of one of our lost wax cast rose bracelets. Alot more photos of more of our ranges will follow, we need some knowledgeable critique on our items and the photography.

Keep in mind im just getting used to the photography set up again. Going to take lots of time playing and adjusting the set up.

Regards

Stuart

arian
30-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Picture's not working here. The link looks malformed - there's no .jpg on the end at the least.

MuranoSilver
30-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Sorted the link for you Stu :)
Nice work!
Nic x

stu_clouds
30-04-2010, 04:50 PM
haha thanks Nic. i must have cut a little bit out with my copy and paste.

thanks again.

Stu

Di Sandland
30-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Stu, loving the roses but, to be honest, I think that clasp might be a bit heavy looking with their delicacy. It's only an opinion tho

bustagasket
30-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Stu, loving the roses but, to be honest, I think that clasp might be a bit heavy looking with their delicacy. It's only an opinion tho

I have to agree with Di here, love the bracelet tho :)

Gemma
30-04-2010, 05:53 PM
I agree with Di and Su' too. Lovely roses.
Wondering if you'd get a clearer pic on a dark background as some darker reflections may show more detail. (Feel free to ignore me- I have no idea what I'm talking about)

arian
30-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Now the photo's there, I still can't see the object clearly. I don't think
a white background works.

There's no sense of scale either.

wheely
30-04-2010, 07:42 PM

I'm with Di, I may even have gone for a T-bar, but again it's only my opinion. Sure is pretty though.

caroleallen
30-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Very pretty but I agree that the clasp looks wrong. Something handmade would look better.

Jayne
30-04-2010, 08:17 PM
I think a smaller bolt ring would look okay.
A clasp with any kind of specific design element might not go with the rose theme imao :)
Nice roses btw :D
J x

mizgeorge
30-04-2010, 11:14 PM
I think the roses look great, but I'm with the majority about the clasp - it doesn't work with the rest of the design. I think I'd probably go for a hook clasp, concealed behind another rose or rosebud perhaps. It's hard to tell, but on the design itself, it looks as though the components are connected directly to one another with 90 degree differences on the top and bottom loops. I think they'd be a lot less obtrusive if all the loops were a little smaller, followed the same orientation, and were joined by a single jump ring between each pair. I think it would also help if you could make the number of the components uneven. At the moment, the point that will lie on the centre top of the wrist will be a connection, rather than a rose.

The photography's not threre. Silver against white is notoriously difficult to get right, but it's way too flat out at the moment. I suspect it's the lighting that's at fault - a black reflector would probably make a big difference. If the image is good enough quality (can't tell from this version) it can probably be saved with a bit of photoshop work, but the aim should always be to need little or no editing to get images looking right.

Good luck with the range.

Emerald
30-04-2010, 11:29 PM
pretty roses do you make the moulds yourself

Meriwee
01-05-2010, 09:55 AM
The roses are very nice, very detailed. I agree that maybe the clasp is a bit too big for a so delicate bracelet.
The photo is quite good, I understand that shinny silver is more difficult to photograph due to the reflects. Do you use a light tent or something similar ? Have you tried with a velvet background and/or different background colours ?
When asking for advice presenting more photos could help the viewers to choose the most appealing photo, but this is only my opinion.

stu_clouds
01-05-2010, 04:38 PM
I think the roses look great, but I'm with the majority about the clasp - it doesn't work with the rest of the design. I think I'd probably go for a hook clasp, concealed behind another rose or rosebud perhaps. It's hard to tell, but on the design itself, it looks as though the components are connected directly to one another with 90 degree differences on the top and bottom loops. I think they'd be a lot less obtrusive if all the loops were a little smaller, followed the same orientation, and were joined by a single jump ring between each pair. I think it would also help if you could make the number of the components uneven. At the moment, the point that will lie on the centre top of the wrist will be a connection, rather than a rose.

The photography's not threre. Silver against white is notoriously difficult to get right, but it's way too flat out at the moment. I suspect it's the lighting that's at fault - a black reflector would probably make a big difference. If the image is good enough quality (can't tell from this version) it can probably be saved with a bit of photoshop work, but the aim should always be to need little or no editing to get images looking right.

Good luck with the range.

I am already part way through casting more roses to alter the design so that all the rings are of the same orientation with a single ring connection (great minds). I will be putting a smaller more elegant clasp on the bracelet.

With regards to photography, i would like a darker background but i am unsure what to use, i do not want to use black as my new website is mainly with with lilacs and purples so black would look a little odd any suggestions for a clean polished looking background appreciated.

Nic i have noticed your grey back grounds you use for many of your pictures, what is this that you use? or is a trade secret.

Thank you everyone for your input its very much appreciated, i am still a novice at this game.

Regards

Stu

stu_clouds
01-05-2010, 04:39 PM
pretty roses do you make the moulds yourself

Hi

yes i carved the rose out of wax, cast the original using the lost wax casting method and then used a vulcaniser to produce a mould.

Stu

stu_clouds
01-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Now the photo's there, I still can't see the object clearly. I don't think
a white background works.

There's no sense of scale either.

Unsure how you could get a full sense of scale completely, i understand what you mean but without making it look silly by placing a 20p coin etc next to it scale would be difficult too show i think :-s

MuranoSilver
01-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi Stu
Will look forward to seeing version 2 of the bracelet with it's new funky clasp..
I don't make a lot of component pieces so the clasp didn't stick out to me but now
I've read the comments I agree that the new version will be much better :)

Re dark backgrounds -sugar paper (the sort you use for cardmaking) is cheap and works great
or for a graduated effect you can make your own photo background (http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/photography-images/448-making-photography-background.html).
nic xx

arian
01-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Unsure how you could get a full sense of scale completely, i understand what you mean but without making it look silly by placing a 20p coin etc next to it scale would be difficult too show i think :-s

Ah, the difficulties of showing what needs to be shown.

What's wrong with a ruler?

What's wrong with a 20p piece?

What's wrong with a wrist?

What's wrong with an apple?

What's wrong with a rose?

What's wrong with this post? :)

stu_clouds
01-05-2010, 06:47 PM
haha i like it.

as iv paid alot for the website im developing i am trying to get a professional look and in my honest opinion having something next to a piece of jewellery like a 20p would not look to professional and would remind me of some bad wholesale websites i used to use. although maybe i could get a nice astheticly pleasing ruler and have that with the piece as a secondary photograph maybe.

regards

Stu

arian
01-05-2010, 07:29 PM
OK, you can't do everything in one photo.
Who said you had to? :)

Post three or four photos here and see where you go from there.
Try things here before adding them to your - paid-for - site. Would you
buy from the photo at the top of the thread?

Cathy at the Beach
02-05-2010, 02:58 AM
Well....it IS a bracelet. Most people can figure out that size of a bracelet- 7 to 8 inches. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think it matters more if you are putting something on Etsy or planning on selling directly from the web.