PDA

View Full Version : Mum's Pendant

surfergirl
30-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi

I've just uploaded an album of my first pendant made of art clay silver. Also, first stone setting and first necklace stringing. This is only the third item I've made with metal clay so I would be interested to hear anyone comments.

Thanks for looking :)

FVT
30-04-2010, 11:44 AM
WOW!! That's your FIRST pendant?! Really stunning, and amazed by the neatness and detail, you're obviously a natural :-) Your mum's going to love it!! What did you use to mould the small symbols?
This makes me feel REALLY lame in comparison, I've been using silver clay for a while now, but still a bit 'gung-ho' with it and a little wasteful :-(

surfergirl
30-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks very much :) My mum did love it and I'm chuffed she did :)

I made a polymer clay (Fimo Classic) stamp to make the symbols - I used a needle to make the reverse design in pre-cured clay. Thank you for your suggestion in another post in using photopolymer plates for stamping fine text - I used wax this time but would like to try photopolymer as it would definitely cut out some of the steps if I wanted to make a similar pendant from scratch.

vsilvered
30-04-2010, 11:59 AM
A beautiful piece.

A lot of care and attention to the finishing of this piece pre and post firing has produced an exceptionally beautiful piece. Great job!

FVT - I reckon the top layer was made using a mould or photopolymer plate, which might account for the high relief of the smaller symbols.

What say you surfergirl?

surfergirl
30-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks, Vi.

It was made in three layers, the middle layer includes the lotus petals with the symbols - yes, I made the mold with polymer clay. The topmost four petals were cut out of clay, the bottom circle, again cut from rolled out clay.

FVT
30-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I definately rate photopolymer, although it is a little pricey. But if you want repeat designs and to be able to print out your designs, it's a good way to go. It's a bit limiting with the depth of the relief but I am still on the hunt for thicker plate which I have been told is available....somewhere out there?!

As for your stone setting, it looks fab too, this is something I am yet to delve into trying. You've certainly combined many techniques in one piece there, well done!!

caroleallen
30-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Lovely piece. No wonder your mum loved it.

Gemma
30-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Wow. So detailed. Love it. Lucky your mum

MuranoSilver
30-04-2010, 01:44 PM
That is wonderful! Adore the mystical lotus and script choice in your design.
Beautifully finished too, really shows how versatile the clay is AND that
you have a natural flair for using it :Y:
Nic xx

FiredSilver
30-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Great job, it looks great. Well done

Becci
xx

Ominicci
01-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Lovely piece!

surfergirl
02-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks very much for all your comments. It's always good to hear positive words :)

Lou
02-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Love it! especially as it is your first piece in metal clay!

CDW Designs
02-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Well I think that is pretty fantastic for a first!! Well done to you.... They are great!

bustagasket
02-05-2010, 06:28 PM
i am stunned to think thats your first piece in pmc. theres a lot involved there and i take my hat off to you.