PDA

View Full Version : PMC Certification Module 2 in Cheshire

FiredSilver
29-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Hi everyone

The Module 2 High Finish Certification is definitely going ahead in June.

This is a great one! It covers:

•Japanese Enamels
•High Shine Mirror Finish
•Ring with Bezel Setting
•Decorating Ceramic Bisque Beads
•Combining PMC with Fired Pottery
•Using PMC 22k Gold

The course is over 3 days and you get loads of clay to play with! I'm running it on the 4th, 5th & 6th June at my studio in Nether Alderley, Cheshire. You can see more information on my website HERE (http://www.firedsilver.co.uk/certification.html)

You can take the PMC Modules in any order, so you don't need to have done Module 1 to come to this class - I really like the fact you can pick the order!!

You just need to pay a deposit now to secure your place. I can help with local accommodation for anyone who would need to stay

Becci
xx

MuranoSilver
30-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Love this new modular approach & the PMC training has
some interesting projects too :)

FiredSilver
30-04-2010, 08:55 AM
I think they're really gret projects Nic, they cover a really good range of techniques I think. Although I will be a nervous wreck when I have to hand out the PMC Gold to everyone!

I'm working on some sample pieces so that I can add some pictures to the website, so the pages are a work in progress at the moment. It'd be great if a little fairy came in and just sorted all my jobs out for me!!

Becci
xx

mizgeorge
30-04-2010, 04:02 PM
I keep forgetting to ask this when I see these advertised.

What does certification actually give you? Is there a formal qualification at the end of all these, or is does it simply mean you're 'allowed' to teach others, like a pyramid selling thing?

FiredSilver
30-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi George

The Art Clay ones do entitle you to go on and teach others the Art Clay Certifications - which is why there's a lot more people doing that! And yes it reminds me of pyramid selling!!! There were reasons behind my decision NOT to go down the Art Clay route, I could've obviously but decided it wasn't for me.

The PMC Studio until now hasn't allowed anyone to offer their PMC certification, and the modules they offer were developed by Mitsubishi. Then MCSJ came up with their own diploma.

Its not a formal qualification. I can only speak for myself, when I made the decision to go and do the PMC Certifications 5 years ago, it was because I wanted to get a handle on what this "stuff" could do. I think that the certifications (my opinion again here!) offer the chance to try out different techniques to then take away and develop from there. A good grounding really.

B
xx

Emerald
30-04-2010, 08:39 PM
but why do you need certification or can anyone teach PMC?

FiredSilver
30-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Anyone can list themselves on the PMC Guild's teacher list, you only have to be a member of the Guild, you don't have to have certificaiton. If you want to teach PMC Certification through The PMC Studio then you have to fulfil their criteria for being appointed an ATC, and part of that criteria is to have gained certification, but you are given a geographic area to cover.

You're asking why you need it? I didn't take the PMC Certificaiton to then go on and teach, and it was a couple of years before I did teach. I was already making and selling my work having been silversmithing for a few years. As I said previously I wanted to get a really good grasp of the techniques possible with PMC and understand the product.

I think everyone focuses on going on to teach, whats wrong with going on to create well made, well finished pieces of jewellery with the knowledge you've received from an excellent tutor ;o)

Again - just my opinion but I feel like AC wants to create teachers, and PMC wants to create makers.

Becci
xx

Emerald
30-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Anyone can list themselves on the PMC Guild's teacher list, you only have to be a member of the Guild, you don't have to have certificaiton. If you want to teach PMC Certification through The PMC Studio then you have to fulfil their criteria for being appointed an ATC, and part of that criteria is to have gained certification, but you are given a geographic area to cover.

You're asking why you need it? I didn't take the PMC Certificaiton to then go on and teach, and it was a couple of years before I did teach. I was already making and selling my work having been silversmithing for a few years. As I said previously I wanted to get a really good grasp of the techniques possible with PMC and understand the product.

I think everyone focuses on going on to teach, whats wrong with going on to create well made, well finished pieces of jewellery with the knowledge you've received from an excellent tutor ;o)

Again - just my opinion but I feel like AC wants to create teachers, and PMC wants to create makers.

Becci
xxbut do you really need the certification, who supplies it is it a qualification recognised in a work place, college bar the PMC ones, so why take it the only person that seems to win is the person taking your money

MuranoSilver
01-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Jo
As well as the certificate Becci's students gain something far more valuable.....
A great teacher, lots of knowledge and guided practise.
I'm pretty sure the PMC certification is the same as the ACS
(in that you have to complete projects to a certain standard to receive it).
This at least gives students some peace of mind, naturally their next step is to
contact the tutor get more info.

I'd only do a certificate course if there was something in it for me....more knowledge or a better price.
e.g. Many ACS suppliers give discount to certified/volume purchasers.

To be honest I guess most certificates are redundant in a Jewellery making workplace...
A jewellery based degree would've been a more useful head start than my hons in English & Theology,
but there are so many good courses, info sources & mentors that a dedicated person can fill in
many of the gaps.

Qualifications may get you through the door, but it's your own two hands that keep you there.
Becci as I said before I like these new PMC certification programmes it's wide topic range means
people can then use it as a springboard to developing their own design styles.

Wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens in the ACS world :Y:
Nic xx

Emerald
01-05-2010, 07:06 AM
i can understand the gain of Knowledge Nic and i am not having a go at Becci, i am just interested to Know the reasoning behind the certificates and if you reallly needed them to teach

MuranoSilver
01-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Now and again there are natural born teachers but for the rest of us the structure of the
certificated courses help us form the framework for our own teaching...
As to the reasoning behind certificates
We're trained from an early age to like stars on our work. O-levels, A-levels, Degrees
they're all just "counters" for the actions taken & knowledge gained.
Do we really need them? Nope, but they sure look pretty on the wall....
(Did I mention that some suppliers give certification discounts too, including USA ones)
Nic xx

bustagasket
01-05-2010, 09:37 AM
=MuranoSilver;35829(Did I mention that some suppliers give certification discounts too, including USA ones)
Nic xx

For some reason that really doesnt sit well with me. Just cos you have a certificate you get a discount? Thats kinda a class distinction there. The certificate doesnt mean you are better than others, it just means you chose to spend money on doing it. Others who might be equally as talented or even more talented, might not feel the need for that certification preferring to use their money on supplies rather than bits of paper and yet they are going to be penalised for that? Sorry in my book that stinks.

Just my opinion, but i think thats just wrong.

FiredSilver
01-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Don't worry Jo, I don't think you're having a go at me! I would've defriended you if you were LOL!!!!

People will have to attain a certain level in each of the projects in order to get their certificate. Yes, there are discounts available to them once they have gained certification and as Nic says from some of the USA supplies companies as well as UK suppliers.

Personally, I will still be running lots of classes as well as certification, they are an add-on to my existing classes really.

I'm happy to talk about it Jo, I think it should be talked about. People need to know what they're getting for their money.

B
xx

Emerald
01-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Don't worry Jo, I don't think you're having a go at me! I would've defriended you if you were LOL!!!!

People will have to attain a certain level in each of the projects in order to get their certificate. Yes, there are discounts available to them once they have gained certification and as Nic says from some of the USA supplies companies as well as UK suppliers.

Personally, I will still be running lots of classes as well as certification, they are an add-on to my existing classes really.

I'm happy to talk about it Jo, I think it should be talked about. People need to know what they're getting for their money.

B
xx

I used to love teaching at evening class but they decided that all teachers needed a recognised Teaching Qualification, at the time i had a young family and felt it wasent something i was able to do, going back to school. I suppose i am just wondering why you need the Certification to teach although i suppose you dont really do you?

FiredSilver
01-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Su, there are also discounts available for anyone who buys in bulk so you don't have to have the certification to get discounts.

I don't disagree with you by the way.

My opinion is that if you come to me and take a PMC Module you will get 3 (long!!) days of excellent tuition, in a range of interesting projects/techniques with a very experienced maker and tutor. There's no pressure on you to complete all 3 of the modules, you can just pick the one that covers what most interests you.

When I started silversmithing, I went to classes to learn techniques. I didn't expect a discount on silver from Cooksons or wherever! Yes, there are discounts available to you after you've completed it but for me thats not part of my marketing for these classes. Its all about understanding what PMC can do (and can't do)

B
xx

FiredSilver
01-05-2010, 10:19 AM
No Jo, you don't need it to teach - and there are plenty of teachers out there who don't!!

I always say to people who are looking for a class, to look at the teacher's website. If the teacher has done certification you know that they have reached a certain level of competency. But I also tell people to look at the teachers work. I think thats more important - is their work well made, polished well, a style that you like, how long have they been making jewellery, how long have they been working with metal clay blah blah blah. All of these factors are important in making a decision.

I have had quite a few bookings lately from people who like my work and have chosen me purely on that basis - the fact that I'm PMC Certified means nothing to them!

Emerald
01-05-2010, 10:28 AM
No Jo, you don't need it to teach - and there are plenty of teachers out there who don't!!

I always say to people who are looking for a class, to look at the teacher's website. If the teacher has done certification you know that they have reached a certain level of competency. But I also tell people to look at the teachers work. I think thats more important - is their work well made, polished well, a style that you like, how long have they been making jewellery, how long have they been working with metal clay blah blah blah. All of these factors are important in making a decision.

I have had quite a few bookings lately from people who like my work and have chosen me purely on that basis - the fact that I'm PMC Certified means nothing to them!

so another 'out of interest question' (nosy cow aint i) Becci why do you choose PMC over Silversmithing and by silversmithing do you mean the 'big stuff' x

FiredSilver
01-05-2010, 10:41 AM
sorry, thats me using the wrong terminology! no I don't mean "big stuff"

I don't choose PMC over sheet, I still do both. So, my boring life story.....

I had been at an evening class for about 4 years (for the equipment!!) when I relocated up to Cheshire. There were no evening classes up here that I could find so I was looking on the internet for ways to set up in a small, cheap way at home. I came across PMC, ordered a pack - made some really bad pieces and melted the life out of it!!! Decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and went on a Level 1 PMC Cert Class and the rest is history! I then had a baby and PMC was easier for me to use at home on the dining room table so all of my metal working tools went away. When I got my studio last year, I was able to get my metal tools back out. I don't have time to make as much as I'd like but I'm working on a few metal pieces at the moment so hopefully I'll have pictures soon.

B
xx

MuranoSilver
01-05-2010, 12:05 PM
I love hearing how people got into making ~ I started with metal clays because of the
"toe dipping" potential too :) (there weren't any local classes here either) then went onto more
traditional metalworking & now do both.
Must admit it's the deep textures & polymer plate design possibilities that really keeps me hooked though :)
Nic xx

caroleallen
01-05-2010, 02:33 PM
sorry, thats me using the wrong terminology! no I don't mean "big stuff"

B
xx

I'm never sure about whether I'm a silversmith or not. If you look at definitions, it's not very clear. I bash silver, so does that make me a silversmith. Just in case it doesn't, I never describe myself as one.

FiredSilver
01-05-2010, 08:32 PM
shall we come up with something new LOL!!!!