PDA

View Full Version : Stone Setting

Vitty
28-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to do a course on stone-setting - has anyone got any recommendations especially in the South-west?

Thank you!

mizgeorge
28-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Not sure where you are, but Mid Cornwall School of Jewellery might be the obvious place to start.

caroleallen
28-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Mid Cornwall is a great school and most of the tutors are good but ............

mizgeorge
28-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Oh, was it the stone setting course that wasn't great? I know there's one that gets consistently less good reviews than the others.

caroleallen
28-04-2010, 10:14 PM
It's a particular tutor who I and others I've spoken with had a bad experience with. Everyone else is great though and Lisa Cain is lovely.

Vitty
03-05-2010, 05:36 PM
I've contacted the Mid-Cornwall School of Jewellery and they only run one stone-setting course a year and it is fully booked for this year!

I'm thinking at looking in the London direction as there seems to be a few more places.

mizgeorge
03-05-2010, 06:11 PM
If you don't mind travelling, then I'd look at the Birmingham School of Jewellery. Not too hard to get to from the SW either.

griffT
04-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Victoria Sewart has a shop in the Barbican, here in Plymouth, full of interesting jewellery and I know that she runs jewellery making courses. I imagine that stone setting is a part of that but I am not sure how it is organised.

She has a new website

Victoria Sewart Contemporary Jewellery Gallery Plymouth Devon - Home (http://www.victoriasewart.com)

and I am sure she wouuld be happy to answer any questions.

Nick.

Lucy
04-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Its not a course, but I would highly recocmmend both of Blaine Lewis' DVD's on stone setting - they are unbelieveable and they come with practice rings and stones for you to practice what is demonstrated. The actual filming is the best I have seen so far in jewelry DVD's - it i so close up you can see every detail!

New Approach School for Jewelers: School Video Tour (http://www.newapproachschool.com/html/tour.html)

If you want to order the dvd's I suggest you give the school a call (001) 800.529.4763 they get a lot of emails from time wasters so if you're serious, best to call for a quick response.

lorraineflee
04-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Its not a course, but I would highly recocmmend both of Blaine Lewis' DVD's on stone setting - they are unbelieveable and they come with practice rings and stones for you to practice what is demonstrated. The actual filming is the best I have seen so far in jewelry DVD's - it i so close up you can see every detail!

New Approach School for Jewelers: School Video Tour (http://www.newapproachschool.com/html/tour.html)

If you want to order the dvd's I suggest you give the school a call (001) 800.529.4763 they get a lot of emails from time wasters so if you're serious, best to call for a quick response.

Only problem with this is the fact that it is rather higher ($179) than the £18 allowed before the Post Office and everyone else starts adding on their appropriate charges. (Not to mention the shipping costs too!)
You are so lucky in the US to be able to get the resources that you can! - Am I jealous? You betcha I am!!

Lucy
04-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Urgh - I keep forgetting about that! The postage for that though should be only about $10 maximum. I am so lucky to have loads of tool options - my husband is not so lucky, because it costs him a fortune!

Well - I will be coming back and forth a lot this year - so if anyone really wants one, I will be happy to take delivery and bring them over for you - as gifts of course ;)

lorraineflee
04-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Urgh - I keep forgetting about that! The postage for that though should be only about $10 maximum. I am so lucky to have loads of tool options - my husband is not so lucky, because it costs him a fortune!

Well - I will be coming back and forth a lot this year - so if anyone really wants one, I will be happy to take delivery and bring them over for you - as gifts of course ;)

How big is your suitcase???
I'm hoping to visit the US with my OH in September - I've been wondering about ordering items and getting them delivered to the hotel!
Lorraine

Lucy
04-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Good idea! But UPS ground or fedex ground usually take 5 business days to arrive - not counting the day you order. Other services are usually more expensive. Sometimes USPS will come up with a good rate and they usually take 3 days. Where are you visiting?

Vitty
17-05-2010, 05:17 PM
I've finally somewhere and am enrolled at the Birmingham School of Jewellery to do a stone setting course in July - can't wait! Thank you for the suggestion x

lorraineflee
17-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Good idea! But UPS ground or fedex ground usually take 5 business days to arrive - not counting the day you order. Other services are usually more expensive. Sometimes USPS will come up with a good rate and they usually take 3 days. Where are you visiting?

We're starting in Washington DC, then driving to Nashville, then up to Chicago, then across to Buffalo and Niagara, then down to Falling Water (Frank LLoyd Wright house) and finally back to Washington for a couple of days. 3 weeks in total - and we've got our tickets and car booked (and some of the hotels!) I can't wait!!
Lorraine

daisychain
17-05-2010, 06:36 PM
If you fancy something a bit closer to home next time, I'm in Southampton and I'm running a stone setting workshop on Saturday 3rd July - just finalised the date today! The details are here Stone Setting Workshop - Saturday 3rd July 10am - £70.00 : Daisychain Jewellery, Unique Handcrafted Jewellery by Joanne Tinley (http://vs5.register1.net/~admin311/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=85) if you fancy a look! Hope you enjoy the Birmingham course. My inlaws are in Staffordshire and I keep promising myself a trip round all the jewellery sights on a visit up there!

Lucy
17-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Lorraine, sounds like an amazing trip!! I keep meaning to do a roadtrip, but for some reason we just haven't got around to it. We loved niagra falls when we visited, but we only actually needed one full day there - very touristy - I wish we had gone to see the lakes now instead of staying there two nights. Washington was fab! so much to see and do - the museums could take a whole week.

andrew_berry
08-07-2010, 03:38 PM
There are quite a few stone setting videos on ww.AtTheBench.com in case you are interested? Ranging from the beginner (bezel setting) right through to advanced techniques.

The advantage with videos, whether online or as a DVD is that you can watch them as often as you like, when ever you like.

Also if you go to Andrew Berry Jewellery (http://www.AndrewBerry.com/training/dvd.html) we also sell Jewellery DVD's too and have just shipped a large consignment to Karl Fischer in Germany.

Andrew

Di Sandland
08-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Luncheon meat for dinner, Andrew?

Kwant
08-07-2010, 05:59 PM
I have seen many of your tutorials and have enjoyed them immensely. Many thanks. I have also used Fischer and found some of their findings invaluable and unavailable elsewhere with the exception of the US, for those not living in the UK they are a very useful site to know about.

andrew_berry
08-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Luncheon meat for dinner, Andrew?

If you care to look 3 posts above your last post you will see that daisychain mentioned one of her courses.

I dont see you mentioning spam to her so why have a go at me?

Di Sandland
08-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Because out of 111 posts, daisychain has mentioned her business/promoted her business (other than in her simple text link) a handful of times. Out of your 24 posts I estimate (I really can't be bothered to count) that you have directed people to your site at least 33% of the time.

Daisychain has been a contributing member of this community for some time now. You became a member, coincidentally, when you had a product to sell.

That is why.

lesley
08-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I think a lot of those posts have also given help and tips, Di. Surely spam is something different.
And I thought we were more laid back than to go round counting posts.

Myosotis
08-07-2010, 08:57 PM
I agree with Moon Cottage - it's borderline spam and it is getting a bit tiresome.

wheely
08-07-2010, 09:28 PM
As above, and I'd say 50%

andrew_berry
08-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Sorry chaps, just trying to help.

Andrew

ps_bond
08-07-2010, 09:45 PM
For what it's worth Andrew, I like what I've seen of your videos, but I feel that you're slightly over-egging things at the moment on the commercial side.
That said, I don't make the rules; just try to enforce them as best I can - so I've bounced it it to Cooksons for their input.

There's a lot I'd like the opportunity to learn from your particular skillset - not least of which is time-efficient techniques.

geti-titanium
08-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Hints and tips for forum marketing:

Keep in mind that most forums do not allow advertising in their post and the regular participants of these forums can smell an ad from a mile away. This way of using the forums will not make you any friends so keep your content exactly that, content. Add value to the forum by providing your own unique quality copy.

Forums allow a signature line were you can place a small description about your business along with a link to your website. Here is where your link popularity can climb and climb steadily as new post creates new fresh content that the search engines love.

:~:

lesley
08-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Ok, I might seriously regret this (shooting self in foot?) but I'm getting a whiff of double standards here.

Alan, you know you invited someone here a couple of months ago who worked for a Chinese wholesale company and advertised that fact here and elsewhere. No useful posts or hints and tips from them! Others only post to say, "Oooo look, I've made these, and they're for sale here."

I'm sensing an elephant in the room. This has been bugging me, so I'll trust my instincts, even though I haven't spoken to anyone else about it. You may say I'm over sensitive but I'm not imagining this - some UKJC/GOJD members have been somewhat dismissive and sarcastic towards a certain Mr Berry, both here and at UKJC. I really hope this isn't about GOJD versus AtThe Bench! As a member of both UKJC and GOJD I'd be upset and embarrassed if this was the case. I think they serve different purposes but to the same people. Before you ask, I have no ulterior motive and am not a paid up member of ATB. I may become one in the future. I just don't see the need for there to be any aggro. We're all trying to do the same thing - make beautiful jewellery, improve ourselves and help each other.

Cue yackum to hit fan - well, my fan anyway - I've just insulted my friends! :(|

geti-titanium
08-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Ok, I might seriously regret this (shooting self in foot?) but I'm getting a whiff of double standards here.

Alan, you know you invited someone here a couple of months ago who worked for a Chinese wholesale company and advertised that fact here and elsewhere. No useful posts or hints and tips from them! Others only post to say, "Oooo look, I've made these, and they're for sale here."

I'm sensing an elephant in the room. This has been bugging me, so I'll trust my instincts, even though I haven't spoken to anyone else about it. You may say I'm over sensitive but I'm not imagining this - some UKJC/GOJD members have been somewhat dismissive and sarcastic towards a certain Mr Berry, both here and at UKJC. I really hope this isn't about GOJD versus AtThe Bench! As a member of both UKJC and GOJD I'd be upset and embarrassed if this was the case. I think they serve different purposes but to the same people. Before you ask, I have no ulterior motive and am not a paid up member of ATB. I may become one in the future. I just don't see the need for there to be any aggro. We're all trying to do the same thing - make beautiful jewellery, improve ourselves and help each other.

Cue yackum to hit fan - well, my fan anyway - I've just insulted my friends! :(|

I don't think I've ever been sarcastic or dismissive to Andrew on either forum, if I have ever come across like that to you Andrew then I apologise (certainly don't remember a time). I do feel however that he has been a little over zealous with the promoting of the bench thingy but it doesn't really bother me at all. I tend to just switch off when the spam detector goes off because I doubt if any of the videos would apply or be useful to me anyway and end up thinking 'oh gawd, he's off again!'

I think everybody who is serious about promoting their company and taken part in forums has fallen for the 'over promotion trap' when they first join - I did myself in my younger days and received exactly the same treatment and it does teach you a few things if you are willing to take notice.

However, GETi make the best Titanium rings on the planet and if you visit GETi Wedding rings, black zirconium mens rings and titanium rings. - Home (http://www.geti.cc) you'll be amazed and astounded at the vast range available......oops! sorry! :Y:

andrew_berry
09-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Sorry everyone, anyone who knows me will know that I am always enhusistic about mu business and will try and promote them where ever.

Sorry I overstepped the mark and I am sure there will be a few members who will remind me if I do it again ;-)

Andrew

geti-titanium
09-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Andrew! Double posting! You're doing it again! :dance: (Well you did say we could remind you)

andrew_berry
09-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Sorry, doing it from the iphone at the kitchen table (if you know what i mean) is not good, sorry.

Surprised the software allowed it. It must be feeling sorry for me. LOL

Andrew

MuranoSilver
09-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Personally: this is the "Courses" section of the forum so if someone asks where they might learn a certain thing
then it's entirely appropriate for both people to post a "hey I do that" post.

We're all trying to do the same thing - make beautiful jewellery, improve ourselves and help each other.
YAY!!!!! *snoopy dance* couldn't agree more! I'm a big fan of treating others as you'd like to be treated yourself :Y:

Nic xx

Lisa Quinn
09-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Sorry everyone, anyone who knows me will know that I am always enhusistic about mu business and will try and promote them where ever.

Sorry I overstepped the mark and I am sure there will be a few members who will remind me if I do it again ;-)

Andrew

I completely understand where you are coming from Andrew, been there myself xx

Di Sandland
09-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Andrew, I totally understand enthusiasm and have been guilty myself in the past of going on a tad. I hope we can draw a line underneath this now and move on.

geti-titanium
09-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Andrew, I totally understand enthusiasm and have been guilty myself in the past of going on a tad. I hope we can draw a line underneath this now and move on.

How about a video of us drawing a line underneath it ? :-)

Wendy Moriarty
09-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Wow! love your rings, as a new member and a begginer I love all the 'links' to see what everyone is doing, wheather it is business orientated or not. I've never been on a forum before so probarbly not very good at navigating it, just find things as I go along :-)
Wendy

London Jewellery School
11-01-2011, 04:41 PM
We run stone setting courses if you are still interested at the London Jewellery School.

We have a two-day stone setting class, a 3-day advanced stone setting class and a 10 week stone setting evening class. They cover everything from bezel settings, gypsy settings, tube settings, claws, tension settings and much more.

for full info Google - London Jewellery School

Happy Making

Jessica x

jai.kapoor246
24-06-2011, 06:23 AM
hey i think better you join someone professional...... that will help you more than the school course.........

ps_bond
24-06-2011, 08:16 AM
How terribly helpful. But then I've already drawn conclusions about why you're here, and I doubt it is to discuss making jewellery, is it?

charlene
17-02-2012, 03:09 PM
If you can get to London ( I know..but if you can...)
London Metropolitan University in East London run a fantastic stone setting course, run my the chaps who set the stones for Lady Di /Kate Middleton engagement ring

Patstone
18-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi George, this is one that I have been trying to find too, they only do a one-to-one class and its very expensive. They only seem to do PMC in their run of the mill classes. Regards, Pat